petition Age Uk Save Free TV for Older People

Comments

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 May 2019 at 4:51PM
    I wont be signing this as pensioners voted for us to leave the UK. I have no time for them.

Do you actually believe that tripe? I am 74 and voted Remain. So did many of my friends and others in my age group. Why make such unnecessary, untrue, block statements about one section of the population? There is no way that the age of voters for one outcome or another, can be decided. A person's vote is between that person and the ballot box.

Why do people like you never understand that you will also become old yourself one day?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Pensioner ‘PERKS’ must stay as older generation contributes £160 BILLION to economy
    Campaigners have demanded that Britain’s pensioners continue to receive extra financial help in retirement as latest figures show they contribute £160 billion annually to the economy. The figure undermines the call to cut so-called “pensioner perks” like the winter fuel allowance and bus passes because they are deemed too expensive at £5 billion.

The vast sum of money paid by the older generation for the good of the country has sparked demands to protect the benefits as a sign of how UK society values their contribution.

Jan Shortt, general secretary of the National Pensioners Convention, said: “Britain’s pensioners continue to make a massive financial contribution to our economy.

“Half of all older people still pay tax in retirement and are rightly annoyed when some politicians argue they are a burden.

“Older people not only pay taxes, but they also provide huge amounts of free volunteering and unpaid childcare.”

Latest data from Age UK shows income tax and National Insurance payments from the increasing numbers of people working past their retirement date amount to £54 billion a year.

Caring for sick or elderly loved ones adds another £95 billion saved by the NHS and social care system which would otherwise have to step in.

Informal childcare is worth £7.7 billion to the economy.
    )
    The value of volunteering done by pensioners represents another £2.7 billion.

Added together the sums total £159.4 billion.

Yet pensioners finances are under threat.

The triple-lock guarantee, promising that the basic state pension will rise by a minimum of either 2.5 per cent, the rate of inflation or average earnings growth, whichever is largest, is set to end.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I wont be signing this as pensioners voted for us to leave the UK. I have no time for them.

How did you see their ballot papers then?? or do you believe what is said in the media?
  • humptydumptybits
    humptydumptybits Posts: 2,992 Forumite

Pensioners are individuals like everyone else. I'm a pensioner I voted remain. My husband, sister, brother in law, aunt are all pensioners and all voted remain. The only people I know who voted leave are all in their 40s.
  • charlotte1994
    charlotte1994 Posts: 854 Forumite
    100%.
    I think that we should follow a region in Japan's example, they encouraged the elderly to give up their driving license, in exchange they get discounted meals. 500 Yen for ramen, rice and salad.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,439
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I do find the attitude that just because you have reached a certain age you should get free stuff regardless of how rich or poor you are. On the whole most pensioners born in the 40s and 50s are far more wealthy than older pensioners, and most of them can easily afford a TV licence.

We have both hit state retirement age so not too far to go to qualify for a free TV licence, but won’t be that bothered if it is no longer available then. Us younger pensioners have never had it so good, it is the younger generations who no longer have access to such generous company pensions and job security that we had I have more concern for.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyYO0KXC9ApJj0QfYwRGDN0jwa74FfFf5VyNcKIYDstc8gHoZW
  • Lost2
    Lost2 Posts: 15,589
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Robisere wrote: »
    Do you actually believe that tripe? I am 74 and voted Remain. So did many of my friends and others in my age group. Why make such unnecessary, untrue, block statements about one section of the population? There is no way that the age of voters for one outcome or another, can be decided. A person's vote is between that person and the ballot box.

Why do people like you never understand that you will also become old yourself one day?

I think possibly a Daily Mail reader I voted remain and am not young and I don’t watch tv as it’s all rubbish
    Sealed Pot Number 018 🎄2009..£950.50 🎄2010..£256 🎄 2011..£526 🎄2012..£548.80 🎄2013...£758.88🎄2014...£510 🎄2015...£604.78 🎄2016...£704.50 🎄2017...£475 🎄2018...£1979.12 🎄2019...£408.88🎄2020...£1200.63...🎄2021…£588 🎄2022 £672… 🎄2023 £3,783.90 🎄2024…£
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,257
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

Have you forgotten that you will be a pensioner one day? (Unless you fall under a bus)

Will you still have no time for your peers when you do?
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Signed and passed to family and friends.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure