Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Virgin Atlantic ONLY

Centipede100
Centipede100 Posts: 107 Forumite
edited 30 June 2014 at 9:04AM in Flight delay compensation
MSE Official Insert:

This discussion thread is linked to from our Flight Delays Compensation guide. Please read that for full help.

Comments

• Has anyone had any luck claiming back for Virgin flight VS002 from Newark on 3/9/2012?

I claimed and received the following:

"We regret to advise you that we have declined your claim on the grounds that the cause of the delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances which were beyond the control of Virgin Atlantic and which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.

"The aircraft encountered an unexpected technical problem prior to take-off with one of its thrust reversers. Our engineers tried to fic the problem however after further investigation replacement parts were need to be sourced in order to rectify the problem, which could not be obtained locally."

As per the examples above re: technical issues, it sounds like they were wrong to deny the claim (and I will go back and challenge them).

I was wondering if anyone had successfully claimed for this flight?

Thanks,

Mark
  • SandLake
    SandLake Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have now had a successful claim for a Virgin flight my wife and I took at the end of 2006.

I originally 'requested' some form of compensation in early 2007 but Virgin chose to beat about the bush and wore me down until I gave up. Long story short, I was in Orlando, there were 2 Virgin flights one to Gatwick and the one I was on to Manchester (then onwards to Dublin). The Gatwick flight developed technical problems and Virgin decided to transfer approx 75 passengers from it onto our flight causing a delay of 1 hour and 10 minutes - exactly the length of time I had to make my connection (which was on a single booking). I missed the connection and was rebooked onto a later flight arriving home 7 hours late. I think it would have been fair for them to, for example send my wife and I for a nice meal after we had got home but no they just said technical problems do happen and they were sorry. Well they are now nearly £1000 sorry! We will have that nice meal and there will also be a nice donation to charity.

I would like to thank a few on here, Blindman, RichardW, Mark2Spark and especially Centipede100 who answered my specific queries. I have never raised a small claim before but by reading their collective posts on here I was suitably forearmed and had an idea about what I was doing.

What I have no idea about is how they keep up with all the posts on here and also have the patience to answer all the (frequently repetitive) queries.

Thanks to you all
  • venus1978
    venus1978 Posts: 235 Forumite
    edited 21 January 2013 at 9:04PM
    finally found my booking ref for Virgin so just ignore me :-) cant find my jet2 one though :-(
  • Original post:

I was delayed on a Virgin Atlantic Airways flight from Delhi to London back in 2008. It was initially delayed due to technical problems and then was eventually cancelled.

The technical problems were only announced after we had boarded the aircraft - so we were held on the plane for several hours whilst the engineers attempted to fix the problem.

After about 4/5 hours we were taken off the plane and offered either a hotel for the night or to wait for an alternative flight with another carrier. I finally arrived in London on a BA flight more than 12 hours later than expected.

At the time we were offered 25,000 Virgin Flying Club points which I accepted.

What I want to know is, do I still have a claim after accepting the points? And is it worth pursuing?

If anybody can advise, it would be most helpful.

Update:

I have had my claim rejected on the grounds of extraordinary circumstances which were beyond the control of Virgin Atlantic. The delay was caused because the captain detected a fuel leak from engine no. 3 after he had pushed back from the gate.

Surely the maintenance of Virgin's aircraft is their responsibility and these should be found during routine checks.

Can somebody please advise as whether this is worth pursuing as I am not sure if this situation is genuinely extraordinary?

Thanks
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    Neels wrote: »
    Original post:

Can somebody please advise as whether this is worth pursuing as I am not sure if this situation is genuinely extraordinary?

Thanks

It's not EC, so a LBA as per the FAQ's is the next step.
  • Wolfy_2
    Wolfy_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    For anyone who is interested-I posted this thread about my experiences with Virgin, the info applies to all airlines but it may be of interest:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4430403&highlight=
  • Wolfy_2
    Wolfy_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Neels wrote: »
    Original post:

I was delayed on a Virgin Atlantic Airways flight from Delhi to London back in 2008. It was initially delayed due to technical problems and then was eventually cancelled.

The technical problems were only announced after we had boarded the aircraft - so we were held on the plane for several hours whilst the engineers attempted to fix the problem.

After about 4/5 hours we were taken off the plane and offered either a hotel for the night or to wait for an alternative flight with another carrier. I finally arrived in London on a BA flight more than 12 hours later than expected.

At the time we were offered 25,000 Virgin Flying Club points which I accepted.

What I want to know is, do I still have a claim after accepting the points? And is it worth pursuing?

If anybody can advise, it would be most helpful.

Update:

I have had my claim rejected on the grounds of extraordinary circumstances which were beyond the control of Virgin Atlantic. The delay was caused because the captain detected a fuel leak from engine no. 3 after he had pushed back from the gate.

Surely the maintenance of Virgin's aircraft is their responsibility and these should be found during routine checks.

Thanks

I have a similar situation. IMHO I think that any technical fault with something as complex as an aircraft they are going to say is 'extraordinary'. I mean, if it wasn't complex to fix then the plane wouldn't be delayed would it. Which leads me to believe that these sort of reasons are exactly what CANNOT be used as reasons not to pay out. It is just a feeling, but why else would the Sturgeon judgement make reference to circumstances such as aircraft recall as a really extraodinary occurance.

If technical problems with the plane can't be claimed then what actually can be? It doesn't leave very much if anything. Anything else will either definately be extraordinary, or so minor that it wouldn't cause a delay in the first place!
  • Hi, I'm looking for opinions as to whether I can claim from Virgin for a flight back in March 2010.

I arrived at LHR at 15.00 for a flight to JNB(VS601) on 14/3/10 which was due to depart at 18.00 to be told that it was cancelled.I was offered a new flight the following morning at 08.30 or to book on the 18.00 flight the following evening.I went for the 18.00 as I was connecting to another airline to go to Durban and the morning flight would have left me stuck at JNB overnight. They put me up in the Premier Inn overnight.

I believe that the cancellation was due to high winds in New York. Apparently a flight from JFK (VS46 I think) which was due to depart at 19.45 on 13/3/10(the prevous evening) was to become the VS601 to JNB.This flight would have been due to land at LHR about 8 in the morning on 14/3/10.
    However the flights before and after VS46 weren't cancelled and left JFK.
    I hope this is making sense!
    So,firstly no contact was made to tell me the flight was cancelled,I don't know when they made the decision but the inbound from JFK was cancelled some considerable time before.

Secondly can a claim be rejected based on weather "elsewhere" and as mentioned above the flights before and after departed JFK and they would have been aware of the JFK cancellation for some time.Wouldn't they be obliged to find a replacement plane?I realise it's probably not that easy,I don't supose they have many spares lying around!

Can I have some views?
    Many thanks
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    Not much to say really Norman, it's cut and shut, of course you can claim.
    Read the FAQ's sticky for guidance on the procedure.
  • Thanks Mark, I've got a claim form from the Virgin website.I will send it off and see what happens.

I'll report back on progress.

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family