Lightweight travel scooter

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 12 July 2019 at 1:37PM in Disability money matters
I have looked on line and it is a bit difficult to know how to choose, or find impartial advice. Any experience would help a lot.

I am looking for information about searching for a small lightweight electric sit on folding scooter. The lady, who is saving up at present, is 4' 10" and weighs about six and a half stones. Would like the option, when scooter is folded, to pull it along like a trolley and take on the bus. Would like to be independent for as long as possible and be able to fold and assemble it unaided if possible. Has no car but ideally if, when necessary, would like scooter to fit in a car boot.

I wonder if any very light ones would not be strong enough, reliable or robust enough to last - this would be a 'one off' purchase not likely to be replaced. Has stairs at present although, if necessary, could be kept for short periods during the day in locked 'communal' bin store.

Not quite at the stage of going into a disability shop or searching for second hand yet - trying to do homework in advance but choices seem a bit overwhelming.

Any advice would be great, thank you.

Crimson

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    We did not know that, PasturesNew, as lots of people seem to use them on pavements and in shops. Would be very dangerous on roads. Where could I search for the legal information for her, thank you?

Crimson
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 12 July 2019 at 1:39PM
    Options
    Sorry, PasturesNew - I mean the 4 m.p.h. mobility type to sit on. Only just beginning to do some homework and did not know I was using the wrong description. I have edited and put in 'sit on' thank you.

Crimson
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JThere are quite a few of what you are looking for about but they are in the £2000.00 plus price range.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Has comments been removed or am i not seeing some comments? It seems like crimson is talking to theirself.

I know you said the person wasn't at the stage of going to a mobility shop but in my opinion that's really the only way they will know what's suitable. This way she will be able to try some out to see what suits her best.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Has comments been removed or am i not seeing some comments? It seems like crimson is talking to theirself.

I know you said the person wasn't at the stage of going to a mobility shop but in my opinion that's really the only way they will know what's suitable. This way she will be able to try some out to see what suits her best.

Yes PasturesNew removed some replies because it was thought I was interested in an adult scooter (like the child's version only for an adult) and not a sit on mobility type. I hope this makes sense, thank you.

Crimson
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I am actually looking for the exact same thing!
    So any suggestions?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • jewelly
    jewelly Posts: 513 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A friend is looking at these

https://efoldi.com/
  • beanielou
    Options
    jewelly wrote: »
    A friend is looking at these

https://efoldi.com/

Wow, just wow.
    More than my budget though.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• [Deleted User]
    edited 13 July 2019 at 8:50AM
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Wow, just wow.
    More than my budget though.

This could be ideal for the lady in question. I know it is likely to be above her budget as she wondered about a good second hand one being a possibility.

As it is important and would help her a lot, but not very urgent, this one in the link could be a real possibility. She is saving for one and is eager for advice/recommendations such as this one. Thank you very much for this link and good suggestion, jewelly.

If your friend buys this one would you consider letting us know how they get on, please? It would be good to know how robust it is when, eventually, it would possibly be in daily use.

Crimson
  • beanielou
    Options
    This could be ideal for the lady in question. I know it is likely to be above her budget as she wondered about a good second hand one being a possibility.

As it is important and would help her a lot, but not very urgent, this one in the link could be a real possibility. She is saving for one and is eager for advice/recommendations such as this one. Thank you very much for this link and good suggestion, jewelly.

If your friend buys this one would you consider letting us know how they get on, please? It would be good to know how robust it is when, eventually, it would possibly be in daily use.

Crimson

So having looked into this further I could get one through kickstart at a cheaper price of £1299 I think it was but not until December. I have asked efoldi to confirm that this is correct. It looks like just what I want. However I really want it before December. Also not sure about the kickstart thing. There is a FB page.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure