Idea for gifts for students/not well-offs

Options
I thought I would pass on a tip for a gift which has become a regular of mine and much appreciated. When I was bringing up my children I really really struggled for money and everyday toiletries were almost a luxury. Remembering this, when my eldest was at Uni I put together a storage box (which could be used afterwards) full of every day items that he wasn't used to buying himself. Things like shower gel, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, razors etc etc. I do this every birthday and Xmas and he really appreciates it. When my daughter moved into her own house I started the same for her and she was delighted. Now she has a baby and for Xmas I will be doing a similar box with baby essentials. Not only are they well-received, I can buy things gradually throughout the year and I only ever buy things when they are on multisave or bogof etc.
Hope this is of use to someone.

Comments

• pinkfluffybabe
    Options
    I would also suggest giving a copy of 'The Money Diet' (Martin's Book) to people as a gift, i am going to give copies to some of my friends this Christmas.
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2024 14/53 UU, 11 IN
  • shopaholicsan
    Options
    Good idea Pinkfluffybabe!!
  • Angel777
    Angel777 Posts: 913 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks its amazing how useful this is. My mum buys me toiletries and i end up keeping them in a bag and when i run out i know there will be stuff in there! Deoderant, shower gel, shaving cream etc.

Its a really good idea.

Bless our mums! :)
  • Miss_Money
    Miss_Money Posts: 9,682 Forumite
    Options
    my mil always buys my daughter (18 months) nappies b wipes, tights shoes and toiletries when we see her about 3 times a year. and we get a massive box at xmas. it really helps and its appreciated. great idea!!
    Bad mother to 2!
    Bad Mother's Club member #4
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That's a good idea, good for elderly people too who usually neither need nor want anything!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • purpleimp
    Options
    Something quite good for student stocking fillers is loading the stocking full of tins and dry goods etc, it's well recieved and going to be used once they head back off to Uni, stick in some washing powder, toothpaste, coffee, teabags, tins of soup,beans, peas, corn, fruit, custard, bags of sugar, tins of tuna all sorts of useful non perishables! HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure