Xmas Dinner - Plate up or Self Serve?

Comments

• catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Well over the years I have tried both plating up and people serving themselves and have found plating up to be the easiest and fastest so that everyone's food remains hot.

It does depend on how many you are cooking for. The least I have cooked for is 12 and the most 16. It is difficult having serving dishes for large amounts that have to be passed along the table as it means by the time everyone has helped themselves food is getting cold.

We have some meat eaters and some vegetarian so we know how many plates want meat, how many want the veggie option. Everyone likes roast potatoes, Yorkshire puds, stuffing. Non veggies with sausage meat and then I just ask if everyone wants the different veg.

Have also tried putting veg, potatoes etc in a hostess trolley and people helping themselves from that but that takes too long too
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    BAGGY wrote: »
    We have 15+ for xmas dinner. We serve ourselves in the kitchen from the pans and there is extra spuds, pigs in blankets and suace along with gravy are on the table.

My way, but I do take it out of the pans into serving dishes on a number of borrowed heated hostess trays. I cater for about 14 , every one gets what they want and its still hot.
    Guests are given a tea towel to hold a very warm plate at the kitchen door.

Still have nightmares of my Father in law carving a turkey at the table , everything was on the cool side when you finally got to eat.
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    We always serve ourselves from the table and have never had a problem with the food going cold - warmed plates and bowls may help but everything seems to hold its heat until all have been served their meat and beyond. This is what is normal in our house, I probably havent had my food plated up for me since I was 4 or 5.
  • Thank you for your replies everyone.

It's a funny one, there certainly seems to be differing opinions! Strange how when dining in a top restaurant you would certainly expect your food plated up, but in a less formal environment some would want to eat more buffet/Harvester restaurant style. British dining etiquette at it's best :)

Appreciate the input guys - thank you :)
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Self serve. Warm the plates first (and the serving dishes) and encourage the people who are served first with meat to start taking veggies etc. That way, nothing goes cold and everyone gets to decide for themselves how much of different things they want.
    We always have meals this way and I've never had a problem with things going cold. Obviously if you don't warm the plates then you are more likely to have issues.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • nickyhutch
    nickyhutch Posts: 7,596 Forumite
    I'd hate to have my food plated up for me and would hate to do it for someone else. I want to choose what I want and how much, and I'd want my guests to feel free to do the same. I'd feel like I was back at school.

Warm your serving dishes and plates, and food wont go cold.
    ******** Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity *******
    "Always be calm and polite, and have the materials to make a bomb"
  • Totality
    Totality Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Almost always self serve in our house for any kind of roast - certainly will be on Christmas day. Warm your dishes and plates through and you'll be fine! :)
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    We had xmas on Saturday. 6 adults, 1 child. Had everything on the breakfast bar and hob for people to help themselves to. Gravy and sauces on the table. Hot plates and those tea light dish warmer things kept everything piping hot.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    nickyhutch wrote: »
    I'd hate to have my food plated up for me and would hate to do it for someone else. I want to choose what I want and how much, and I'd want my guests to feel free to do the same. I'd feel like I was back at school.

Warm your serving dishes and plates, and food wont go cold.

I don't see the problem with having the food plated up. That's what we do at Christmas and just about every other day and certainly don't feel like we are back at school!

Even with warm or hot plates and dishes the food does go cold. Maybe with a small number of people it doesn't but with larger amounts it does. As I say, I have tried different ways over the years but, to me, the only way to ensure none of the food is cold is to plate the meals
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Plated up, i havent gor the room for everything in seperate dishes on the table, and it just means more washing up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure