Maternity pay ... need help

Options
Hi,

I was planning on TTC in the new year. I employed for a year so I knew I would have been covered for maternity.

I was made redundant on 22nd Nov and walked into a new job on 23rd Nov.

I am struggling to get my head around when I can actually start trying.
I have to work for the company for 26weks prior to the 15th week before giving birth? It so confusing now.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    Basically you have to be working for them before you conceive

You have to be working for them for 26 weeks before you are 25 weeks pregnant (ie 15 weeks before you are due = 40-15 = 25)
  • keighley.johanne
    Options
    So can I start TTC now?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Have you checked your new employer's policy? You may only be entitled to Maternity Allowance rather than any company mat pay.
  • keighley.johanne
    Options
    Have you checked your new employer's policy? You may only be entitled to Maternity Allowance rather than any company mat pay.

It’s a small mechanics I don’t have access to any of that. I don’t want to ask and risk losing my job
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I am struggling to get my head around when I can actually start trying.
    I have to work for the company for 26weks prior to the 15th week before giving birth? It so confusing now.

Love this...who said romance was dead?
  • keighley.johanne
    Options

I’ve been with my partner for 15yrs in April. Unfortunately we haven’t been blessed with a child yet. We have saved £10k to help with loss of my earnings during maternity.

I have been told by my go that they won’t help us until we have been actively trying for 18months, which I need to inform him when we have officially started.

Thanks for input
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options

What's romance got to do with it? This is MSE and financial planning before creating a new person is very sensible!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What's romance got to do with it? This is MSE and financial planning before creating a new person is very sensible!

Making sure said new person falls within the scope of employer maternity contributions to the day seems more ruthless than sensible to me !
  • keighley.johanne
    Options
    Making sure said new person falls within the scope of employer maternity contributions to the day seems more ruthless than sensible to me !

Like I said I have been with my partner for 15yrs, we do not have children. We purchased our home at 21, it has never been the right time financially to have a child.
    If we don’t do it now we never will.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 December 2018 at 3:01PM
    Options

It's very sensible. You would criticize someone who had a baby when they couldn't afford to and criticize someone who tries to make sure they are in employment and entitled to a workplace benefit. Women can't win. Employers are business and have many costs and responsibilities, yet rather than expect a business to meet their obligations you'd rather have a go at individual women? Do you encourage people not to join their workplace pension as that costs employers too? I hope you've opted out as why should your employer fund your retirement?

1 in 9 pregnant women unfairly lose their job when pregnant, 1 in 5 face harassment and negative comments at work and 1 in 10 are discouraged from attending essential antenatal appointments. It's harrowing enough to face all this without being accused of being mercenary just for trying to be as secure as you can be, especially when you don't even know if you can conceive and it might take a year or more. It's very easy to criticize when you'll never be in that position.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport