Vent I think

Hello all. I hope that this post will be seen to fall in the correct forum. I'd say it is definitely a rant of sorts.
I have noticed a lot of impatience to new users of this site in regards to who posts where and why etc.
Also I have noticed that people reply to posts not to be helpful but to either be rude or just because they like to argue for arguments sake.!! No matter what people write or how much care they take to try and give a short but concise account of what their issues or question is, it seems we get a barrage of people who scroll through the post with the deliberate intention of avoiding the question but yet aim to pick holes in the post. No matter how we try and explain, the replies get worse and worse until we feel bad for asking advice in the first place.
I am aware that I am not the type of person who belongs in this type of environment and I've been here just a few days!! I won't be here much longer but thank you for all the people who did at least try and make me feel welcome or at least tried to offer, genuine, helpful advice.
C'mon haters do your worst. I'll let you have free reign whilst I'm still here.

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I'm not sure why you needed to post yet again.

We get the message, you didn't like the advice you were given.

You posted for help. Another post on the result and another to vent.

It would be easier for people if you kept it all in one place.

That aside, if you are going to leave, then perhaps you should do it without causing yourself further distress from reading answers you don't want to read.
  • MrsDuck
    MrsDuck Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 2 January 2019 at 8:56PM
    I'm not sure why you needed to post yet again.

We get the message, you didn't like the advice you were given.

You posted for help. Another post on the result and another to vent.

It would be easier for people if you kept it all in one place.

That aside, if you are going to leave, then perhaps you should do it without causing yourself further distress from reading answers you don't want to read.

Ok so now I am confused. You say I shoud post in the correct forum so I did, didn't I? I had a vent so I went to the forum that says vents? I actually liked your reply in the other forum as it was more sensible than most and I do want to read all the answers whether I agree with them or not. It seems incredulous that you pick me up on why I felt the need to post again when as far as I can see, you had even less reason to want to post again just to tell me I had no reason to post again???
    When people have very little to say that is constructive, they often resort to saying things like "just because you don't like what you hear" etc. I've not been here very long and it is getting old already.
    Am I breaking some kind of law here that I know nothing about?? Are you just "following" my posts with the sole intention of finding fault with me?
  • MrsDuck wrote: »
    Are you just "following" my posts with the sole intention of finding fault with me?
    And if that is the case, what's the problem?
    After all, that is exactly what you wanted isn't it?
    MrsDuck wrote: »
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Hello all. I hope that this post will be seen to fall in the correct forum. I'd say it is definitely a rant of sorts.
    I have noticed a lot of impatience to new users of this site in regards to who posts where and why etc.
    Also I have noticed that people reply to posts not to be helpful but to either be rude or just because they like to argue for arguments sake.!! No matter what people write or how much care they take to try and give a short but concise account of what their issues or question is, it seems we get a barrage of people who scroll through the post with the deliberate intention of avoiding the question but yet aim to pick holes in the post. No matter how we try and explain, the replies get worse and worse until we feel bad for asking advice in the first place.
    I am aware that I am not the type of person who belongs in this type of environment and I've been here just a few days!! I won't be here much longer but thank you for all the people who did at least try and make me feel welcome or at least tried to offer, genuine, helpful advice.
    Sounds odd.
    Sounds even more odd.

FTR - and in response to your second paragraph - I agreed with the poster who said your 'result' about your steam mop from Argos would have been better placed on your original thread.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 3 January 2019 at 9:13AM
    Mrs Duck I feel sorry for you.
    From a quick scan of your posts you appear to have had problems with 2 different products bought from two retailers and had a parking problem. How unlucky can one person be.
    Perhaps you could get some advice from the CAB if you feel this place is not for you.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    You have to realise that people who come to this site are from all walks of life. They are not professional advisors.

Note there is a very good reporting system on this site and you should report any post which you think breaks the rules regarding behaviour. See "report" button at bottom right hand side of each post.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 January 2019 at 1:03PM
    With respect you get all manner of people on here. Some are damn right rude, hostile, trolling, thankfully not the norm. Some people are a bit sharp to the point and others are nice. You just have to ignore those that are not what you like. Life's too short to worry what other people get pleasure by either trying to troll, or being unhelpful. You can always block that person but the comment will still be shown if it gets quoted

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist

then add that user in the rhs column
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    It can be like a baptism of fire on here to be fair, but you are on a public forum and anything you post (within reason; the laws of the land and then the laws of the forum) is fair game!

Also, try and show empathy when reading a "troll" post. Put yourself in their shoes and think, "why are they saying this?". Once you do that, you'll quite often figure out stuff about yourself and actually recognise some faults which you were oblivious too. Other times you can just smile and laugh the post away.
  • Les79 makes a good point. I'm not being mean, please don't think that.

Water off a duck's back.

People can and will say whatever they want, it's only the internet.
  • dld2s
    dld2s Posts: 441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Uniform Washer
    Actually, I think MrsDuck has a point, I have not read her original post re Argos etc. but I have been a member of the site for many years and I have noted a intolerance and nastiness in some cases creeping in more and more, at times it's like some folk instead of looking at a way to help, actually look for a way to have a go at the poster

I'm not saying that sometimes folk should not point out and be straight with folk, but some of the stuff posted at times is just not helpful, and as I say can be downright nasty and also holier than thou attitude at times
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure