Where to Buy Meat?

Ms_Chocaholic
Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 30 August 2020 at 4:45PM in Gone off!
There's been a lot in the news recently regarding eating/buying meat and I'd like to try and buy some online as opposed to getting it at the supermarket. I've tried googling as to where's the best website to buy the meat but I've still no idea.

Does anyone have any recommendations, thanks.
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    We have used muscle foods a few times.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We have used muscle foods a few times.

I did look at them as my daughter has bought from them previously too but I couldn't find any information where the meat was from.

Would you recommend them?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I did look at them as my daughter has bought from them previously too but I couldn't find any information where the meat was from.

Would you recommend them?

DB foods ( at least in part )-
    https://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Article/2018/02/09/DB-Foods-labelling-error-causes-MuscleFood-recall
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 January 2019 at 11:51AM
    There's been a lot in the news recently regarding eating/buying meat and I'd like to try and buy some online as opposed to getting it at the supermarket. I've tried googling as to where's the best website to buy the meat but I've still no idea.

Does anyone have any recommendations, thanks.

Depends where you live & what you want, cheap or ethical tend to be at opposite ends of spectrum, as does knowing exactly where it came from, reared, slaughtered

I use a local farm depot shop, because I want ethical, free range, non Halal etc. It is not cheap but suits my requirements

It took a bit of online sleuthing to find it. Because of delivery arrangements I wanted click & collect option as well

Local butcher could not verify all the items I need, and free range chicken seemed to be a rude word:(
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Used Muscle Foods and the supposedly low carb bread had been subbed and arrived mouldy. Lots of farms and farm shops deliver at the moment, see www.bigbarn.co.uk to start you off looking in your area, Lots of farmers markets are closed and stall holders are banding together to offer home delivery or click and collect on the day the market would have been held. Do you live near a foodservice wholesaler eg Wellocks, Brakes, as many of those are doing home delivery and click and collect. 

• Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,162 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    This thread is 16 months old!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Misslayed said:
    This thread is 16 months old!
    So is some of the meat :D

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • jaytin69
    jaytin69 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've had some really terrible orders from Muscle Food, including turkeys that were badly packed and leaked blood everywhere. I did have a few that were problem free but it wasn't the norm, often there was chicken that smelled really bad, not because of the gas flushing, it was just off. 
    I have ordered from a Scottish online Butcher called Campbell's a few times and everything was okay, no leaks, well packed and plenty of ice packs that were still mostly frozen. They often have a discount offer for new customers too.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,890 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I use https://www.thebutchersshop.co.uk/shop it’s always been great quality 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • cognoscenti
    cognoscenti Posts: 606 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Just like I do with supermarkets, I use different online butchers for different things but you have to accept that there is a price difference over supermarket meats.
    Supermarket meat is generally (like fruit &  veg) bland & tasteless compared to what independents offer, with a few exceptions (like an occasional 5% fat mince where taste isn't important in a chili con carne).

Farmison are excellent - huge range, you often have a choice of breed of animal and with many items (like burgers & sausages) the ingredients listed. Quality is excellent as is delivery.
    The Blackface Meat Co for "specials" - like Ayrshire rose veal; mutton; Galloway beef and game. Again, quality is top-notch and delivery is excellent.
    Then for something a bit different - The Buffalo Farm. It's not ALL buffalo though buffalo is a fantastic low-fat beef alternative and I would recommend anybody try buffalo mince and buffalo steak, which has extremely little fat so it goes a long way plus tastes great too. Should I mention their stroganoff burgers? Oh my word they are good. *stops drooling to type* TBH their buffalo sausages are the nicest "everyday" sausage ever and are a "go-to" here too. Again quality & delivery are excellent.

Living near a town with a few butchers of supposedly good repute I was generally disappointed in the quality and taste, which is what led me to those online butchers I use ............ and the purchase of a second freezer, but at least I have no trouble finding something good for dinner.

As I began using online butchers over this past year or so, I was tempted to try Muscle Foods as the original part of this post suggests a few times but there are a lot of "iffy" reviews about them, for deliveries not arriving; for trouble getting refunds; people having random payments taken.
    It can be an expensive business finding out who is good for buying meat from so I hope my go-to's are of help to someone.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback