I will cut my coat according to my cloth. {Edited by Forum team} 2019

Options

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think it would be worth a try . If you get some interest it would be a use for some of the fabric and money in the pot .

It's a long time ago now so I can't remember if I suggested this when you first started making them but maybe if you or biggest could make a few leaflets explaining their purpose and the time and money saving aspect with maybe a recipe or two it may attract some orders

polly x.
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I think it would be worth a try . If you get some interest it would be a use for some of the fabric and money in the pot .

It's a long time ago now so I can't remember if I suggested this when you first started making them but maybe if you or biggest could make a few leaflets explaining their purpose and the time and money saving aspect with maybe a recipe or two it may attract some orders

polly x.

It is certainly worth having a go.
    As soon as I can get more ink for my printer I will be on to it.
    I have several pictures and recipes that I can gather together.
    So I will put it as a first priority task.
    Thanks for the push Polly x
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Went for a walk at lunchtime and was feeling fine. Somehow as I got back in I seem to have pulled a muscle in my upper back, about bra strap height. It's really hurting me, and any slight twist of my back and it's complaining. I hope that it is only going to be a brief episode as I just have to go back to work tomorrow. The business needs serious attention after being closed for the whole of the Christmas season.
    I don't expect masses of people queuing up with jobs, but I am definitely going to have to work. I need to make the rent at the end of the month. I also need to get the business out of the overdraft.
    So concentrating on making money starts in the morning!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    So the working year begins today.
    Unfortunately I have terrible tummy pains, and a pulled muscle in my back. Not the leaping vitality start I was hoping for.
    The builders next door are drilling and hammering away already. The downside to being a semi detached house I suppose.
    Luckily I will be going out (hopefully) in about 40 minutes.
    Dgd's school has a teacher training day, so I will have to leave her home. She no longer wants to come with me to work. Her friends and the Xbox do the babysitting! So to speak.
    I will be home by 4.30 at the latest.
    If my tummy allows me to go to work!
    Once I get the window cleared of Christmas if I really don't feel good I will see if staff doesn't mind staying on her own and I will come back earlier.
    It's time for me to deep dive into the business accounts, file my tax return.
    Set sail for the next chapter of the business and start to make the changes needed to wind down the shop and build up the business at home.
    It will start slowly with reorganisation of the things that I will sell off, and not restock like the fabrics. I am going to try to turn my reclaimed fabrics in to some Thermal Bags to sell. I am hoping that I will start to make time for making things not just mending them.
    I have to decide how to revitalise the teaching side of things as that's where I want to be later on. So I will have a lot of planning etc and strategy stuff on my plate for a while yet.
    Time is of the essence as I only have until August to get it done.

Time for work. Tummy pains or not!
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, I hope you don't mind me joining you? Your thread caught my eye while I was browsing the forum.

I'm sorry your body is rebelling this morning, not the way you wanted to start the working year :(

Please may I show my ignorance and ask what the 'thermal bags' are?
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • pollyanna_26
    edited 7 January 2019 at 2:48PM
    Options
    I hope the stomach has settled down now Mooloo it's the last thing you need at the moment . There are all sorts of viruses and bugs around at the moment but as you had a similar bout in Portugal I'm wondering if it could be stress related .

You've got a lot of sorting and planning to do and I notice you're still struggling with poor sleep and the dreams . After the stress of last year you need to set aside some time in the evenings to wind down and try to relax before bed .

Muscle and joint problems are an occupational hazard for seamstresses . Handling heavy fabrics , lifting machines and bending over the work don't do us any favours . I've no idea how long it is since you last saw your Dr re the shoulder problems but might be worth making an appt and discussing that and the muscle problems . Make sure you at least have a pain relieving gel or cream at hand . A hot soak in the bath helps but something to numb the pain afterwards can make all the difference .
    pollyx

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    hb2 Both Mooloo and I used to follow a blog by someone who used to post on the forums . She was very money saving and her blog was full of recipes , make do and mend and all sorts of ways to live the OS way .

In the last few years her life got busier and she hasn't posted for a while . The Thermal Bag was one of the things she made and while testing devised recipes for it . Basically it resembles an upturned shower cap made of fabric with a drawstring top and a separate lid .

The lid and base are reinforced . Both Mooloo and I made a few . The idea is you start a stew, soup or similar on the hob as normal - the person who tested it out cooked joints of meat in it but I never tried that .

Bring the stew or whatever to full heat , let it get thoroughly heated and then place the food in a casserole or suitable dish (metal is best for retaining the heat ) . Put the pot in the bag , pop the lid on and tighten the drawstrings . You're then free to get on with the day while it carries on cooking . The only energy used is for the initial stage so it carries on cooking free of charge .

I've never mastered the art of posting links or images but if you Google mooloos brackley and follow the pictures at the bottom of the page you will come across a circular object in patterned yellow fabric . That's a thermal bag . I know mooloo had other images but that's the first I found today .

The heat is retained due to the fact there are polystyrene beads between the inner and outer fabric layers . It is washable and my own has been a godsend when you need to go out but don't want to leave the cooker on .

Hope this will save you explaining Mooloo while aren't feeling too good .

pollyx.

• vandanfc
    vandanfc Posts: 2,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hb2 Both Mooloo and I used to follow a blog by someone who used to post on the forums . She was very money saving and her blog was full of recipes , make do and mend and all sorts of ways to live the OS way .

In the last few years her life got busier and she hasn't posted for a while .

pollyx.

You know she is back blogging don't you ??
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    I didn't so thanks for the heads up vandanfc. I changed my email address a year ago and that's obviously one of the sites I forgot to update at the time .

polly

• Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Elaine is back working from home and doing her mindmapping and Memory stuff but she has posted a few things. She had trouble with the site for a while and was only tweeting links to old posts. But I have noticed a few appearances lately.
    Shed very close to paying off her mortgage. Took a bit longer than three years but she has certainly done wonders.
    Thanks for the explanation Polly. Yes my head is a bit slow today.
    I had customers coming in before I was even open and all day including one just as I closed.
    17 customers in one day. I will not have to worry about not having work tomorrow.
    I still feel rather dodgy today and extremely tired. So I will be going to bed early. Might have to look for where the electric blanket got stashed last spring as it could be a good move for the muscle spasms and tension spots .
    I will go and make a cup of tea and try a bath now I am home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure