Conductor refused valid ticket

A few days after the infamous "49 Hertz Friday" incident, on which I used my London Terminals to Thetford ticket to go to Wymondham by travelling on a train to Norwich, and getting a taxi from there to Wymondham, I boarded a train at Wymondham with the intentions of going to Thetford. I asked the conductor if she could sell me a change of route excess (it was a VIA CAMBRIDGE ticket) and I needed a VIA NORWICH one, however she said no and instead sold me a new ticket. Was she right in doing so or am I within my rights to request a refund?

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,427
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What type of ticket were you trying to use?
  • Kiko4564
    Kiko4564 Posts: 217
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 25 November 2019 at 10:29PM
    I was using the return portion of an off peak return, it was vaild for a month but the conductor wouldn't excess it as it was already marked, and wouldn't accept it as it was not valid for the correct route (which was "VIA NORWICH"), only for the wrong route ("VIA CAMBRIDGE"), even though I'd already started a journey via Norwich.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Does "Via Norwich" imply a different train operator from "Via Cambridge"? Do the off-peak times vary for the two routes? When you say "marked" - was this because you had already changed trains and been checked on the first leg? Presumably then the first conductor didn't notice/didn't care that it was the wrong "via" but that has no impact on the second conductor.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Kiko4564
    Forumite
    edited 29 November 2019 at 9:53AM
    "Via Norwich" implies Greater Anglia, and East Midlands Trains. "Via Cambridge" implies Great Northern, Thameslink, Greater Anglia, East Midlands Trains, and Cross Country Trains

In other words, "Via Norwich" doesn't imply a different TOC, however "Via Cambridge" does imply a different TOC to "Via Norwich".
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Is this actually a secret test for those wishing to work for a TOC? Or is the OP determined to only give out information in dribs and drabs in the hope of being told they can claim eleventy squillion pounds compensation? I'm out.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,325
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I do not understand why a trip from Wymondham to Thetford would be either via Norwich or via Cambridge as neither of those places is between Wymondham and Thetford.

Indeed I do not understand why someone wishing to go to Thetford from Wymondham would board a train towards Norwich.

Some further explanation is needed.
  • My suspicion, given the OP’s previous, is that he has intentionally picked a route which his ticket doesn’t allow, while he believes it should, and that he has done so to make a point.

As per other posts, he has had problems in the past for videoing female police officers and is now obsessed with proving wrongdoing.

OP, is this close to the truth, or did you have a genuine reason to make this trip?

Even if one of your plots does ever get an officer to cross the line this doesn’t correct your own previous behavior.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,350
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    I do not understand why a trip from Wymondham to Thetford would be either via Norwich or via Cambridge as neither of those places is between Wymondham and Thetford.

Indeed I do not understand why someone wishing to go to Thetford from Wymondham would board a train towards Norwich.

Some further explanation is needed.

I was thinking the same but I am not an expert on different train tickets
  • Kiko4564
    Forumite
    I was travelling from London to Thetford, and breaking my journey at Wymondham overnight. Therefore I got a direct train from Wymondham to Thetford. I was making a genuine journey in First Class using a First Class ticket, and trying to save myself money vs buying a First Class return ticket.
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,325
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A ticket from London to Thetford via Cambridge would not include travel to Wymondham and back to Thetford. A new ticket would be required. The conductor was right.

I think if the plan changed in London to travel via Norwich, then the change to the ticket should have been done at the Liverpool Street booking office before boarding the train to Norwich.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure