Quick question about delay repay compensation scheme

One thing I simply don't understand about the whole scheme is this... I either buy a weekly ticket or a return ticket. Both of these are valid all day, and have no times on them.

So say my train is delayed, how does the train company know I'm telling the truth? Say I get the 7am train, but the train at 7:30am is delayed by 1 hour... On either ticket whether it be my weekly ticket or my return ticket that I've bought on the day, there is no proof of what service I travelled on.

I could easily lie and so could other passengers....?

Comments

• LAAQ
    LAAQ Posts: 6 Forumite
    But, would they look at that?
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    LAAQ wrote: »
    On either ticket whether it be my weekly ticket or my return ticket that I've bought on the day, there is no proof of what service I travelled on.
    Depends on the ticket check - some seem to use a date stamp device which would possibly indicate which service the check took place on but others just use a pen scribble. Here in the great metropolis - the tap of Oystercard or contactless card at the gateline serves as a check that you were at the appropriate start and end point around the relevant time.

I guess you could check the times online and try a false claim but how many times would it be worth the risk?
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    LAAQ wrote: »
    One thing I simply don't understand about the whole scheme is this... I either buy a weekly ticket or a return ticket. Both of these are valid all day, and have no times on them.

So say my train is delayed, how does the train company know I'm telling the truth? Say I get the 7am train, but the train at 7:30am is delayed by 1 hour... On either ticket whether it be my weekly ticket or my return ticket that I've bought on the day, there is no proof of what service I travelled on.

I could easily lie and so could other passengers....?
    Some people do lie; I am aware of instances where train companies received suspicious claims and opened an investigation.

If a Season ticket holder claims to regularly travel at times when delays occur, and delays occurred at different times each day, this would be suspicious.

There was a high profile case on the Southern route a couple of years or so ago; the train company GTR prosecuted people for it.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    If you made lots of claims, for lots of trains at all times of day, they'd probably investigate you. They'd have plenty of CCTV to go off. Frankly it'd have to be worth their while. I once had Northern turn down a claim with the reason "they didn't feel I was eligible" - I complained and they paid up.
  • The TOCs do have computer systems which analyse claim patterns, so they can spot people who seem to have the misfortune to catch a delayed train almost every day, even at different times of day.

On a recent Channel 5 documentary about enforcement on London Underground the computer spotted a customer who was repeatedly claiming refunds, so the enforcement officers went out to look for her and found her and pursued the matter further.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The TOCs do have computer systems which analyse claim patterns
    How do you know this?

Do you work for a TOC?

Or are you (as I suspect) simply guessing?
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I based my remark on the TFL Irregular Travel Analysis Program (ITAP) referred to on the Channel 5 Fare Dodgers programme.

If TFL have such a system it is probable that other TOCs have something similar.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Chino wrote: »
    How do you know this?

Do you work for a TOC?

Or are you (as I suspect) simply guessing?
    I do not work for a TOC.

But I know what what @jbuchanangb is true and that he is not "simply guessing".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure