MSE News: Martin's reaction to Brexit

Comments

• boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    colsten wrote: »
    If it's so simple, why has nobody officially clarified yet precisely what applies?
    And what would apply to the UK citizens living and working in other EU nations?

Perhaps it is actually rather complex to solve.
    The nitty gritty is not so simple, but I just cannot see Brits getting chucked out of Europe any more than us chucking people out of UK, won't happen. Those Brits abroad provide a lot of money for those countries, they need it.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    what Martin thinks is going to happen to EU citizens who, like me, live, work and own property in the UK. ... What will happen to our right to work and own property here? What about our children's university fees?
    People from almost all countries are free to own property here so you can continue to own or sell that as you wish.

In the short term you will continue to have the right to live and work here because the UK is still in the EU. Longer term what will happen to you is likely to be one of the major concerns for other countries in the brexit negotiations but it seems unlikely that you will have anything urgent to do and more likely that if you have been here for many years you will be granted an ongoing right to live and work here, in exchange for the same deal for UK nationals in other EU countries.

University costs are currently much cheaper for Scottish residents at Scottish universities and I have a close relative who relocated there as an adult to take advantage of this. The structure of UK student loans is unsuited to those who may leave the UK so what will happen in that area for non-UK prospective EU students in the UK is unknowable at present.

Best wishes for dealing with the uncertainty that inevitably affects you more than many others.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    edited 24 June 2016 at 12:46PM
    I always suspected that the majority of my fellow citizens were as thick as -you know what!. Yesterday's vote confirms this.
  • GingerBob wrote: »
    I always suspected that the majority of my fellow citizens were as thick as -you know what!. Yesterday's vote confirms this.

Typical dummy spitting response from a poor loser. You don't like the result so resort to insulting those who dared to vote the opposite way to you.
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    When Leave were campaigning they said no one here would be made to leave.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• GingerBob_3
    Typical dummy spitting response from a poor loser. You don't like the result so resort to insulting those who dared to vote the opposite way to you.

I certainly don't like the result. The little islander mentality of the thick populous will cost us all a significant amount of money. Glad I moved my pension fund out of shares a few weeks ago. And glad I got my euros yesterday. I see the obnoxious vultures are already circling over Scotland, N. Ireland and Gibraltar.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    GingerBob wrote: »
    I certainly don't like the result. The little islander mentality of the thick populous will cost us all a significant amount of money. Glad I moved my pension fund out of shares a few weeks ago. And glad I got my euros yesterday. I see the obnoxious vultures are already circling over Scotland, N. Ireland and Gibraltar.

England got its vote to leave the EU, only fair get our vote to leave England.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    GingerBob wrote: »
    Everybody had the right to vote however they wanted. Please don't insult people for the way they voted. It is hard enough to get people to vote as it is, fearing what will happen if they vote 'the wrong way' isn't going to help that situation.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    lazer wrote: »
    If you are concerned about your status here or your British friends status abroad, read up the Vienna convention.
    Your residency rights should not be affected by a change in a country's status after your immigration here
    An article which suggests otherwise:-
    http://www.connexionfrance.com/Vienna-Convention-1969-expats-rights-residence-Brexit-17867-view-article.html
  • GingerBob_3
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Everybody had the right to vote however they wanted. Please don't insult people for the way they voted. It is hard enough to get people to vote as it is, fearing what will happen if they vote 'the wrong way' isn't going to help that situation.

Most of 'em haven't got the intelligence to vote. Surely you must have heard some of the jackass-like chuntering during vox-pop interviews recently - politicians and public alike? I wonder if I can obtain Irish citizenship?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure