Bowel cancer, stoma, illestomy bags, my journey with my fathers illness

Comments

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    There's no easy way of saying this - had an emergency call back to the hospital yesterday, they had the results of his ct scan - the cancer which they found in his stomach when they did the last camera - had gone into overtime - it's caused a blockage - which we had guessed as he hadn't been able to eat without him being sick, they were hoping to operate to give palls give relief but that wasn't an option he's been given weeks... It's really knocked us all for 6 to say the least x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    mum2one wrote: »
    There's no easy way of saying this - had an emergency call back to the hospital yesterday, they had the results of his ct scan - the cancer which they found in his stomach when they did the last camera - had gone into overtime - it's caused a blockage - which we had guessed as he hadn't been able to eat without him being sick, they were hoping to operate to give palls give relief but that wasn't an option he's been given weeks... It's really knocked us all for 6 to say the least x

Oh Mum2One, so very sorry to hear your news. :( I do hope that the hospital can give your Dad some relief from the pain and sickness. I imagine it's going to be very difficult explaining to your Mum. Thinking of you and your family. Cyber hugs to you all from Liverpool.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    So sorry to hear the latest. Take care of yourself
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Thank u both, he's had a Gd day 2day - has a couple of oxo drinks and cup of tea and touch wood only sick once this afternoon

It's hard in all ways as when he had the original cancer in Aug 2014 as it happened in Wales when we were on hol then I had to drive back and forth, the days we were t at hospital it was shopping and organising everything I couldn't really let my self get emotionally involved as I knew if I caved it everyone would be stuck, now my emotions are bubbling - felt a right pray earlier had chest pains - rang the gp th beanie come down - 3mins in car - it was a panic attack.... Did I feel an idiot....

Just trying to get the holidays cancelled - was taking Dd to Gambia at Easter then Cuba in May, (only deposit) just found out not covered under travel insurance ..... Lose over 2k - my mum saying we've got to go, but God 4bid if he was with us at Easter and passed away when we were away I couldn't cope. Got a break in July - were going to keep that on track at the mo x
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    We e had a good day 2day, had washing machine delievered - pd for instillation - but as the water had to be turned off they refused to fit it.... Even after saying mum and me are disabled - dads situ...

It was too early to ask the neighbours (turned up at 730) but we managed dad did the fitting and me and mum managed to push it in.

He went back to bed to rest - watched football )in bed) had some Icecream, drank a small glass of milk, and oxo drink

To see him you would t really know what exactly was wrong...

Seen a couple more people when DD and I were out, so hard telling them, think slowly sinking in, only cried about 6 times today ... Xx
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It's hard in all ways as when he had the original cancer in Aug 2014 as it happened in Wales when we were on hol then I had to drive back and forth, the days we were t at hospital it was shopping and organising everything I couldn't really let my self get emotionally involved as I knew if I caved it everyone would be stuck, now my emotions are bubbling - felt a right pray earlier had chest pains - rang the gp th beanie come down - 3mins in car - it was a panic attack.... Did I feel an idiot....

Just trying to get the holidays cancelled - was taking Dd to Gambia at Easter then Cuba in May, (only deposit) just found out not covered under travel insurance ..... Lose over 2k - my mum saying we've got to go, but God 4bid if he was with us at Easter and passed away when we were away I couldn't cope. Got a break in July - were going to keep that on track at the mo x

It must have been really hard for you when your Dad first got ill - to have to be the person doing the day to day stuff on top of the worry. As to panic attack, don't worry about contacting your doctor - much better to be safe than sorry when it comes to chest pain!

Very sorry about your holidays and not being able to claim on travel insurance. That seems very wrong to me, but then we all know how insurance companies often try to not pay out. :(
    We e had a good day 2day, had washing machine delievered - pd for instillation - but as the water had to be turned off they refused to fit it.... Even after saying mum and me are disabled - dads situ...

<snip>

Seen a couple more people when DD and I were out, so hard telling them, think slowly sinking in, only cried about 6 times today ... Xx

Sheesh how awful to refuse to install washing machine! 7.30 seems very early to turn up to do something like that. If you have the time and energy I'd complain to company involved, but in your situation it's hard to find that time and energy!

Natural to cry I think, and healthy too - not good to bottle stuff up. But sorry you are in the place you are in, and your sadness and worries. Just want to let you know that I am thinking of you and your family, and sending "the vibes" - I guess that means best wishes and strengthening thoughts. Cyber hugs from Liverpool. :)
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Thank u means the world.

The washing machines saga - the tap that feeds the water pipe to machine is broke - so we have to turn water off at stopcock, coz we had to do it that way they refused to for it, even thou we said we'd take the responsibility for that...

Might see if there's a Facebook page - normally be there fighting....

Xx
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    We've had a really Gd day 2day, he's eat some Icecream, 2 oxo drinks and a small glass of milk.
    He looks well - been to bed for a nap then stayed upstairs to watch football, been down since teatime.

Xx
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Good that today went well .
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Thinking of you
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure