Using multiple brokers to obtain the best mortgage

Options
Following a post tonight from Kenshaz, he has raised the question of shoppingh around various mortgage brokers to get the best deal.

I have created this to ensure other peoples posts do not get trashed!

Kenshaz - the floor is yours to start your point!
I am a Mortgage Adviser
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

Comments

• MortgageMamma
    Options
    homer_j wrote:
    Following a post tonight from Kenshaz, he has raised the question of shoppingh around various mortgage brokers to get the best deal.

I have created this to ensure other peoples posts do not get trashed!

Kenshaz - the floor is yours to start your point!

Thanks Homer for being your normal considerate self!

MM
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • tomstickland
    Options
    How about using schizophrenic brokers? One broker with multiple mortgage personalities? Much more efficient.
    Happy chappy
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think mortgage advisers should be encouraged to charge a returnable fee of say £100 on enquiries. If the person is just using you, they wont be interested. If they are genuine and not timewasters, you return the £100 by rebating the commission or offsetting it against the final bill if fee based.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • MortgageMamma
    Options
    How about using schizophrenic brokers? One broker with multiple mortgage personalities? Much more efficient.

I'm in two minds about this one, I need to consult my toilet seat authority to check for the compliance
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • MortgageMamma
    Options
    dunstonh wrote:
    I think mortgage advisers should be encouraged to charge a returnable fee of say £100 on enquiries. If the person is just using you, they wont be interested. If they are genuine and not timewasters, you return the £100 by rebating the commission or offsetting it against the final bill if fee based.

I did this earlier in the year and it was successful. the only problem I had was with distance sales, as I don't always do face to face. The costs of setting up with worldpay and then the charges for the transactions are ridiculous
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

• MortgageMamma
    Options
    Tom, clear your PM box for petes sake!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

• tomstickland
    Options
    I'm in two minds about this one, I need to consult my toilet seat authority to check for the compliance
    I think one of you should take responsibility for the proper closure of this.
    No more silliness.
    Happy chappy
  • tomstickland
    Options
    Tom, clear your PM box for Ken&Shaz's sake!
    I'll, er, flush it out.
    Happy chappy
  • Arch-Angel
    Options
    Hear Hear!

Whilst my feeling about kenshaz are well known, I do see his point. I've got Martin's book (which led me to this site). Martin's arguement, regarding using one or more broker's to get the best advice before going to L&C to complete is a reasonably sound money saving tactic. If I can get several brokers - who would charge me if I completed with them - to do the work, pick out the best mortgage for me, then I run to L&C to complete for free with them...yeah, it does save you money. (BTW - on my copy of Martin's book this advice starts at p.269 - just in case other have a different printing).

However, I can also understand the reaction from brokers who have their time stolen from them. I haven't read any "reaction" thread on the topic before MM - before my time perhaps? - but my immediate thought is one of moral grounds. Is it morally sound to get one over a small local broker?

Martin's philosophy is one of "get one back over the big companies that are screwing you over" - I wouldn't include small brokers in that. Bigger brokers? Yes.... but if the "bigger broker" is also fee's free - which can also apply to small one-man (or woman!) broker firms - you gain nothing from this tactic.

To me this is all about morality - I wouldn't like to do 10 hours work for someone only for them to take my work without me getting paid for it! Do unto others and all that...:D
    Never attach your ego to your position....
  • tomstickland
    Options
    As I've just written in the other thread, I found that the 3 brokers I spoke to all found similar best deals. So you could save your own and their time by going directly to a decent all of market broker. Or maybe two to be sure.
    Happy chappy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport