CPP - HSBC Cardguard

I contacted HSBC a while ago re: a cardguard policy I took out when I was 18 - I genuinely remember the bank employee telling me how important it was to take it out - still don't really know what it was. I cancelled it in the end but had paid into it for about 10 years.

HSBC told me that they don't keep records longer than 5 years and so couldn't tell if I was entitled to anything. As it had been so long ago I didn't have any records either! Since then the only thing I've found is a record of my cardguard policy number.

Is this a lost cause? Does anyone have experience of this? I've tried a couple of claims companies who weren't interested.

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• MattDB wrote: »
    I've tried a couple of claims companies who weren't interested.
    That was a lucky escape. They could have charged you for making a second complaint.

If neither you nor HSBC have any records, there is nothing more to do.
  • MattDB
    MattDB Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    'They could have charged you for making a second complaint.'

Really?
    'They could have charged you for making a second complaint.'
    You are only allowed one complaint (which failed).

Making a second complaint, despite already having a full and final rejection, was effectively a waste of the Claim Company's time for which they could have charged you.

Yes, really.
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    MattDB wrote: »
    I contacted HSBC a while ago re: a cardguard policy I took out when I was 18 - I genuinely remember the bank employee telling me how important it was to take it out - still don't really know what it was. I cancelled it in the end but had paid into it for about 10 years.

HSBC told me that they don't keep records longer than 5 years and so couldn't tell if I was entitled to anything. As it had been so long ago I didn't have any records either! Since then the only thing I've found is a record of my cardguard policy number.

Is this a lost cause? Does anyone have experience of this? I've tried a couple of claims companies who weren't interested.

Any advice much appreciated.

Fortunately you still have the policy number so you could try sending a DSAR to CPP, address on their website and see if that pruduces any records of this policy. I got mine for a CPP policy that ended in 1998. Depending on what CPP find, might be enough to send a complaint to HSBC if they sold sold the policy to you before 2005.
  • MattDB
    You are only allowed one complaint (which failed).

Making a second complaint, despite already having a full and final rejection, was effectively a waste of the Claim Company's time for which they could have charged you.

Yes, really.

Ahhh - maybe. Although I don't think it was a full and final rejection - HSBC just did 'we don't have enough information to do anything unless you can provide it'
  • MattDB
    sun73 wrote: »
    Fortunately you still have the policy number so you could try sending a DSAR to CPP, address on their website and see if that pruduces any records of this policy. I got mine for a CPP policy that ended in 1998. Depending on what CPP find, might be enough to send a complaint to HSBC if they sold sold the policy to you before 2005.

Great starting point - thank you!
    Ahhh - maybe.
    Definitely.
    MattDB wrote: »
    I don't think it was a full and final rejection - HSBC just did 'we don't have enough information to do anything unless you can provide it'
    It's full and final unless you can somehow obtain documentary evidence of the payments you made. The earlier suggestion MAY turn up something, but it's hardly a "starting point". If CPP have no records then your complaint is over before it's begun (again).
  • MattDB
    it's hardly a "starting point".

Sincere apologies for my flippant terminology
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts