The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Social research... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

This is a special discussion as part of the

article, all about

Doing social research

which is part of the Work, work, work section

Please feel free to add your comments, suggestions or questions
Just click reply

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Lots of these advertised almost daily in the london metro, also see time out. there are loads of "marital problems" type ones - and they seem to pay 50 quid upwards.

I was a social researcher for a while we paid 20, for an hours interview.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Im a social research interviewer, its alot of fun, flexible and to be honest is really well payed.

I know a couple of reputable companies that I work for or my colleagues do and there always looking for new interveiwers all over the U.K so if ur interested pm me & il tell u were to go to find out more :)
    Loving this site.. and all the information it gives us. :j
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Why can't you tell us on here? if it is open to all you do not have to communicate via PM. This is a public forum;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • dark_angel
    dark_angel Posts: 1,230
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have PM'd you.
  • Ive just put together a little document about social research, hopefully anyone interested in it will find it usefull :)

Social research interviewers are employed by companies to go to named addresses and ask residents information on different social aspects.
    The companies are independent research institutions usually working on projects for government departments like the Department for work & pensions, department for transport and many others aswell as collecting research for Universities and other Interested Parties.

This type of work involves employees working from home & in the field. Not based at any specific place.
    U are invited to work on projects, the first step would then be to attend a briefing on the specific subject. Usually 1 day somewere in ur region, but can be further away and for longer periods depending on what the project is.
    After the briefing you would then recieve a list of addresses and you would work from home, either phoning up respondents to get appointments to go and interview them or by visiting them in there homes & arranging the appointments that way.
    Usually the area u work in is not to far from were u live.
    You drive to the houses at the times u want to work & conduct interviews on a laptop computer, reading from the screen & inputting answers.
    All expenses are payed seperately to work fees, i.e petrol, parking costs if necesary & train tickets to briefings.
    You tend to get payed travel time and then a set amount per interview u conduct which means its not an hourly wage. From personal experience it does tend to be far higher then minimum wage, depending on the area & project.
    There is the opportunity for promotion depending on success rates or number of projects u have worked on.
    Alot of people work for these companies for many years as they enjoy it so much and from personal experience everyone is very friendly, helpfull and just generally nice.

Some company websites that can explain more and always have vacancies are:

The National Centre for Social research (Natcen)
    http://www.natcen.ac.uk/
    Specifically for this type of work u shud look here :
    http://www.natcen.ac.uk/natcen/pages/au_facetoface.htm

If ur in Scotland try...
    The Scottish Centre for Social Research (Scotcen)
    http://www.natcen.ac.uk/scotland/index.html

or

Kantar Opertions
    http://www.kantaroperations.com/
    http://www.kantaroperations.com/3-6-1-face-to-face.aspx

or

Office for National Statistics (ons)
    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/
    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/about/ons/recruitment_training/currentvacancies/ssdfield.asp

I have done this work for 8 months & find it really interesting and good fun most of the time.

Ive tried to provide as much info as I feel i possibly can based on my own experience, to give people a good idea of whats involved. I would deffinately check out the sites for more information and ask others what there experiences are. :)
  • Do you need your own car?

I live close to lots of public transport routes in London but the National Centre for Social Research indicated that you have to have a car as you often need to carry equipment around.

freeman32
  • emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Which of these companies do you work for?
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • Yeah you have to carry around a laptop really incase you get on the spot interviews.
    :)
    freeman32 wrote: »
    Do you need your own car?

I live close to lots of public transport routes in London but the National Centre for Social Research indicated that you have to have a car as you often need to carry equipment around.

freeman32
  • mamazaac
    mamazaac Posts: 659
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    These lists of addresses/phone numbers you get - have the people already agreed to be interviewed, or are you just contacting them on the offchance?
  • mamazaac wrote: »
    These lists of addresses/phone numbers you get - have the people already agreed to be interviewed, or are you just contacting them on the offchance?

They send them a letter so they have the opportunity to opt out. Sometimes they have been talked to and actually agreed to it aswell. Depends on the project.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport