PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Right to Acquire house buying, put form in now?

Hi all

May get shot down for this but hey ho, I'm buying my property for my kids future so will ask anyways.

Lived in HA house for 5 years now, put in to buy it two years ago but felt it was overpriced so backed out, then spent last two years house hunting and nothing compared so I've decided to put in for my HA house again.

What I want to ask, if it's even a question that can be answered..... when's the best time to put the form in? I believe they value your house from the date of your form going in, so wasn't sure if I'm best holding off until January. Is there's any way of knowing when house prices are rising or falling? Sorry very new to this but desperate to get onto the property ladder.

Thanks

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Prices will vary depending on your location. I can't imagine most places will see to significant market movement in the next 8 weeks.

Your best doing in when you can 100% guarantee you can afford your own repairs. The HA service will stop on receipt of your application.

You sound like your in a position to do this so why not get the process moving (the quicker you get on with it the less you pay in rent when you could be paying a mortgage)
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Don't tell your kids that you are doing it for their future because the chances are that they won't get it. If you need residential care you will as an owner of the house have to pay for it yourself. This means that the house will be sold to pay for you care. All homeowners have the possibility of this happening.

Working on the basis that your kids are unlikely to see a penny in inheritance from this house only buy it to live in for yourself.
  • You can request an independent valuation if you think the HA are charging you too much
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Once 48 letters have been received calling for a vote of (no) confidence in May:

* house prices will tumble
    * tescos will increase the price of all perishable foods by 75%
    * black crows will gather on Big Ben ready to swoop
    * you'll need a passport to board the Isle of wight ferry

That is the moment toput in your application.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    G_M wrote: »
    Once 48 letters have been received calling for a vote of (no) confidence in May:

* house prices will tumble
    * tescos will increase the price of all perishable foods by 75%
    * black crows will gather on Big Ben ready to swoop
    * you'll need a passport to board the Isle of wight ferry

That is the moment toput in your application.

Don't forget the ravens in the Tower. If they leave then Britain will fall:(

Don't forget if Britain falls then King Arthur will return and sort us all out :D
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    And when May is out we can start casting clouts ;)
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Murphybear wrote: »

Don't forget if Britain falls then King Arthur will return and sort us all out :D
    I thought it was Robin Hood? or Drake?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Murphybear wrote: »
    G_M wrote: »
    I thought it was Robin Hood? or Drake?

Maybe they'll fight it out among themselves. :)
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Don't tell your kids that you are doing it for their future because the chances are that they won't get it.

Actually it's a minority who need residential care and very few who'd exhaust the money completely.

If you need residential care you will as an owner of the house have to pay for it yourself. This means that the house will be sold to pay for you care. All homeowners have the possibility of this happening.

It's a possibility yes.
    Sometimes properties are disregarded for example my MIL's property was disregarded because her husband was living in it.

Working on the basis that your kids are unlikely to see a penny in inheritance from this house

I think this is good advice for both parties.
    No-one should plan on an inheritance, there are simply too many unknowns.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure