Flight delay compensation, all other EU airlines

Options

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DMV wrote: »
    Hi all! We were delayed on a Thomas Cook flight from Heraklion that was scheduled for 10/10/18.Half an hour into the flight the oxygen masks were deployed and a smell of burning throughout the cabin. We were told the pilot had full control of the plane and to keep calm! Eventually it was announced that we would have to land in Athens due to a technical fault- faulty ac unit. We were in the air with masks on for over an hour before we were told it the cabin pressure was safe and we would land in Athens. I have since contacted Thomas Cook who claim the delay was due to WEATHER! Unbelievable, I then sent them another email with supporting documents that were given to us before we left the next night at gone midnight which mentioned the technical fault and faulty ac unit. They ignored my email, so I lodged a complaint with ABTA and had a reply from Thomas Cook the next day saying they were happy with their final decision not to compensate and to contact CEDR, which I have done today.
    My questions are these: were you on that flight or know someone who was? Flight no:MT 1179 scheduled to leave on 10th Oct but actually ended up leaving in the early hours of the 12th? If so how have they been dealt with compensation wise? I'm determined to see this through to the bitter end- the audacity of them blaming the weather, it was not a bogstandard delay but also a terrifying ordeal.
    Any advice help would be appreciated.

Hi,

I've not heard about anyone else from that flight but it does sound like you are due compensation and any costs you incurred because of the delay.

CEDR should find in your favour as ordinary breakdowns/faults are not an excuse for the airlines to refuse compensation, even if the aircraft was in the air at the time.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • KevinK
    KevinK Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    KevinK wrote: »
    I had a flight cancellation as above and the airline (Wizzair) are refusing the pay out in line with the European law, they state as it was due to a lightening strike they're not liable - despite me quoting several pieces of case law stating this is not the case.

I had something similar a while back and by complaining to the CAA I got it sorted, however as the flight was outwith the UK I'm not sure how to proceed. I've emailed the Slovakian equivalent of the CAA but the website didn't seem very professional (English version looked as if it had been ran through a translator and not checked) and so I don't hold out much hope.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Still at a loss with this, tried contacting AviationADR and they can't help - Slovakian authorities haven't got back to me and I doubt they will.

Edit: The guide refers to writing to the "ECC" but doesn't fully go into who they are?
  • alexxnz
    Options
    We were due to fly on 21/09 from London Stansted to Munich with Eurowings, on EW1753 at 8pm. At 2pm, I got a text saying this flight had been cancelled, and on Twitter they said it was due to the late arrival of the incoming flight into London, and then Munich airport having a curfew that they were going to miss. They did not explain why the incoming flight was late. I called them and was on hold for over and hour, and then the incredibly unhelpful lady said that there was nothing they could do and there were no alternative flights, leaving us no option except to rebook ourselves.

I logged onto Eurowings' system online and it said our return flight home, EW1752 from Munich to Stansted on 23/09 was ALSO cancelled (which I have a screenshot of) so we booked a return on Lufthansa which was £370 (vs. our original flight that was £210). We also missed one night of our two night trip, as the next available flight was in the morning.

I immediately emailed regarding a refund as well as compensation. It was three weeks before the first response, and that gave us the refund of the first flight, however they said that the second flight (Munich to London) actually wasn't cancelled and did go ahead, and that we forfeited our seats. I fought this and said that we went off the information we saw which was that BOTH flights were cancelled according to their online system, and they ended up refunding us for this three weeks later.

As of nine weeks later, they still have not responded to my email regarding compensation. Does anyone know from these details if we are likely to receive it, and if so how else I can go about forcing a quicker response? We would prefer not to use the claim companies that take commission if we can help it. Our extra costs per person were £370 for the replacement flight, £120 for lost accommodation and £60 for airport transport.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You may have inadvertently made life a little difficult for yourselves here.
    Asking/accepting the refund makes it more difficult to claim your re-routing expenses as it effectively absolves Eurowings of any obligation to you. However your counter arguement would be that Eurowings:
    i) made no attempt to re-route you at your convenience (stated in the regulation) and

ii) did not make you aware of your re-routing rights under the regulation.
    The reason you have stated for the cancellation is almost certainly not an EC. Eurowings would have knowwn before the incoming flight from Munich departed that the return leg, your flight would miss any landing time limit at Munich.
    The fact that they cancelled your return flight unilaterally and informed you of it, wether a mistake or not, is entirely their responsibility.
    Airlines f$$£ up often and badly.
    You should be claiming compensation for
    1.Your original flight, as the cancellation is unlikely to be an EC.
    2. Your return flight as they took the unilateral decision to cancel your flight, assuming your return journey was less than 2 weeks after your outward journey?
    3. The difference between your refunded flights and replacement flights.
    Eurowings are not responsible for your lost accomadation or transport. Travel insurance may cover this?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • goingsenile
    Options
    Hi
    I'm looking for some advice- never had to use the Compensation Scheme before- sorry Long story!

My daughter an I booked flights from Edinburgh to Boston with KLM via Amsterdam for Monday 15th Oct leaving at 6am. On arrival to drop bags at 4am was informed by KLM check in staff that a smaller plane had been sent and therefore we were being transferred to a Air Lingus Flight via Shannon leaving at 8:50am. We were sent away and told to report to the Air Lingus Desk once it opened. Email arrived from KLM at 4:30am informing us of the change

We checked in with Air Lingus and boarded the plane, taxied to the end of the run way where the pilot announced there was an issue and they were doing to have to restart the plane. We sat at the end of the run way for around an hour before taxing back to the Stand and being asked to disembark. By this time it was very clear we had missed our connecting flight from Shannon. Information and guidance from Air Lingus staff was extremely poor but eventually we were send to the Menzies desk ( Air Lingus Handling Agent at Edinburgh) - the only option offered to us was the same flight the next day. Queried utilising other connections but they wouldn't even look! So booked on same flights 24 hours later and accommodation and meals provided overnight at local hotel .Contacted Car Hire Company to inform them that we wouldn't be arriving till the next day. Also contacted Hotel and informed them we would not be checking in due to a delayed flight.

Flight went as scheduled on the 16th.

We had a hotel in Boston booked for the night of the 15th which was already paid for and obviously with less than 24 hours notice couldn't be cancelled. We were doing a tour of New England so had a different hotel booked for each night- to minimise disruption and incur even more cancellation fees we moved our time in Boston to the end of the trip to save cancelling each hotel and loosing money on each. However we were meant to spend our last 2 nights in Cape Cod- I cancelled the 2nd one and booked a hotel in Boston to allow us to do what we had missed on Day 1.

KLM have provided me with EMD Receipt for the first flight which we were moved off- what do I do with this to claim the compensation?.

How do I go about claiming compensation for the 24 hour delay with Air Lingus and the resulting costs of changing hotel/missing nights etc

Thank You

AJ

Just a update and thanks again to those who helped;
    Used the templates via Resolver and have received the following
    KLM:300 Euros each
    Aer Lingus: 600 Euros each plus the £249 hotel bill we missed out on.
  • Justice13075
    Options
    Why have you settled for €300 each from KLM as Tyzap says at post 1089 you are both due €600 so they have diddled you out of €300 each. You need to get back to KLM and tell them you will not accept the €300 each and that you will start proceedings against them if they don't pay the correct amount.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Like Justice said, KLM have been very naughty and conned you out of €300 each.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Joweek1971
    Options
    Just need a quick advise. I made a flight delay compensation claim against Qatar airlines 9 weeks ago and they wrote back and said they will pay in 4 to 6 weeks however to date 9 weeks on they have not paid and are ignoring my emails enquiring what is going on. What are my options?
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Like Justice said, KLM have been very naughty and conned you out of €300 each.

Perhaps the rebooked flight was scheduled to arrive less than 3 hours after the original flight and KLM reduced the compensation amount accordingly?
  • md2012
    md2012 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Just wondering if a clever soul on here can tell me if I am in a position to claim for compensation from Tap Portugal.

I recently travelled from Miami to Lisbon where I was picking up a connecting flight to Manchester, unfortunately there was a 2 hour delay in Miami which caused us to miss our connection. (We asked but no reason was given for the delay) We then had a 9 hour wait in Lisbon until we were put on a flight later that day.

Would this be worth pursuing?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure