Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 29th Oct 18, 8:57 AM
    • 497Posts
    • 90Thanks
    OceanSound
    Capital One - Cash transaction limit
    • 29th Oct 18, 8:57 AM
    Capital One - Cash transaction limit 29th Oct 18 at 8:57 AM
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if we can set limits on cash transactions.

Did contact Capital One to ask my daily cash transaction limit and limit on a single cash transaction.

Reply said my daily cash withdrawal amount is 250 per day. Nothing about cash transactions.

So, I message them again and ask again. This time they repeat the cash withdrawal limit (250 per day) but also mention that 'there is no limit for online cash transaction'.

I have 1500 limit on the card. I'm a bit worried that the card in the wrong hands could spend 300-500 in a single cash transaction and I could be liable for this. Is there any practical solution to this? Can CapitalOne set a cash transaction limit? (as opposed to a cash withdrawal limit - which is already in place). My Barclaycard has a daily limit already. (The cash transaction/withdrawal limit is the same)

Maybe if I contact Capital One and ask if they can set the single cash transaction limit to 250 and daily cash transaction limit to 500. If they can, could it turn out to be a bad idea, because it limits my options to put a bet on worth 251?
    Last edited by OceanSound; 29-10-2018 at 9:07 AM.
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 29th Oct 18, 9:17 AM
    • 2,618 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 29th Oct 18, 9:17 AM
    • 29th Oct 18, 9:17 AM
    Why would they do that?

That would also mean they should be able to set a purchase transaction limit.

I don't know of any cards that offer either
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 29th Oct 18, 9:24 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    OceanSound
    • 29th Oct 18, 9:24 AM
    • 29th Oct 18, 9:24 AM
    Why would they do that?

That would also mean they should be able to set a purchase transaction limit.

I don't know of any cards that offer either
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Barclaycard offer cash transaction/withdrawal limits:
    http://help.barclaycard.co.uk/brochure/credit_cards/withdraw-cash

They must have valid reason(s) for it!
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 29th Oct 18, 9:58 AM
    • 3,631 Posts
    • 2,998 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 29th Oct 18, 9:58 AM
    • 29th Oct 18, 9:58 AM
    That link wouldn't stop someone purchasing something above the limit - is that what you are trying to achieve?
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 8th Nov 18, 5:07 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    OceanSound
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:07 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:07 PM
    I contacted capitalone and asked if a daily cash transaction limit of 200 could be set. Answer is 'no, not able'. However, I was invited to call the support line to discuss further.

Does anyone think calling would bear fruit?
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 8th Nov 18, 6:47 PM
    • 25,320 Posts
    • 12,549 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 8th Nov 18, 6:47 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 6:47 PM
    I contacted capitalone and asked if a daily cash transaction limit of 200 could be set. Answer is 'no, not able'. However, I was invited to call the support line to discuss further.

Does anyone think calling would bear fruit?
    Originally posted by OceanSound
    I would leave well alone!
    For example just assume that you have a gambling addiction then calling them and giving them hints about why you want this done might be an excuse for them to block future transactions - in effect closing your account (to stop you getting into further debt).

If it is not for anything like this - don't make the call.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 8th Nov 18, 6:53 PM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 8th Nov 18, 6:53 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 6:53 PM
    If the card were somehow to be in the wrong hands I don't believe that the thief would be any more likely to make a cash type transaction than a purchase transaction.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 9th Nov 18, 1:39 AM
    • 3,488 Posts
    • 2,454 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:39 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:39 AM
    I have 1500 limit on the card. I'm a bit worried that the card in the wrong hands could spend 300-500 in a single cash transaction and I could be liable for this.
    Originally posted by OceanSound
    If someone used your card to make unauthorised (cash) transactions the most you would pay is 50. That's if you were negligent.

If you weren't negligent you'd pay nothing.

See here.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

2,077Users online

Martin's Twitter