Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 24th Apr 06, 8:54 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Virgin Media: Haggle down your costs.
    • 24th Apr 06, 8:54 PM
    Virgin Media: Haggle down your costs. 24th Apr 06 at 8:54 PM

The following thread lists successes and failures at trying to haggle discounts with Virgin Media.

Full Tips are in the

This discussion has been running a long time, some of the early reports related to NTL/Telewest which later became Virgin. For the latest feedback click later on in the thread.
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 23-06-2008 at 11:43 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 84
    • Swhite1991
    • By Swhite1991 11th Feb 15, 2:33 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Swhite1991
    I just got off the phone to Virgin media

Current Package

XL 100mb cable broadband was paying 33.50 just got this down to 23.50 with a 10 loyalty discount, been with Virgin 5 years never missed a payment to them, offered it to me instantly after I said I wanted to leave I was on the phone less than 5mins!
    Debt Free by Dec 2015!
    Current Debts
    Total Debt at LBM (1st Jan 2015) 1661
    Total Debt Left to Pay - 334.71
    • Money Saving Forever
    • By Money Saving Forever 1st Apr 15, 4:16 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Money Saving Forever
    This is the deal I got after giving my 30 days notice to leave 10 days ago.

Free line rental for a year
    50MB broadband
    XL unlimited telephone
    M+ TV
    Caller display
    SuperHub 2
    29 for 18 months.

I did have to wait 10 days before the retention guy rang and I initially rejected his first offer of 31 and free line rental.
    Originally posted by mustardseed6
    I've just given my notice as they were being discriminatory
    144 for line rental saver PLUS 28 per month making it 40! Currently on:
    50MB broadband
    XL unlimited telephone
    M TV (with Tivo box)
    Multi talk 150
    SuperHub (one of the first all in one routers)
    Here's to waiting 10 days..
    • thekids5
    • By thekids5 30th Nov 15, 4:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thekids5
    Hi just had virgin media on phone. I rang and cancelled on Friday. I said I was switching to sky 50%off tv for virgin media customers. He offered same set up 152mb free line rental for a year all channels bar the extra if including movies and sports. 4 boxes in total 1 TiVo 1 recordable and 2 standard. 12 month New contract 64.99 a month. Hope this helps.
    • ic
    • By ic 1st Dec 15, 3:22 PM
    • 2,711 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    ic
    Well I've cancelled with Virgin, and have taken up a deal with BT.

Virgin - 70mpbs, M channels, M phone - 50.49 after the price increase and end of loyalty discount.
    BT - 38 mpbs, Entertainment Plus (i.e M+), weekend calls (i.e. M) - 37.49 plus 220 quidco plus 100 prepaid mastercard. I also took up SIM deal for 8 a month plus 20 amazon voucher.

Virgin couldn't come close, the best they could offer was 20mbps, M channels and M phone for 39 a month with a 100 account credit. The guy was petulant when I told him I didn't want it, and he was clear he wanted me off the phone asap.

Be warned it took a good 25 mins to get to cancelling! Will be interesting to see if they call me back with any other offers.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • ic
    • By ic 3rd Jan 16, 10:52 AM
    • 2,711 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    ic
    ...So it turns out that despite confirming I was cancelling, and discussing how I would return the equipment, the guy in retentions didn't actually log a cancellation on my account. He instead upgraded my TV package! I was expecting the Tivo to stop working this weekend, and instead discovered I had more channels. I need to call them on Monday when retentions are back in to sort this out. They customer service agent I did speak to confirmed they could see a call logged back on the 1st Dec that shows I did call to discuss cancellation.

Groan.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

81Posts Today

2,119Users online

Martin's Twitter