Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 24th Apr 06, 8:54 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Virgin Media: Haggle down your costs.
    • 24th Apr 06, 8:54 PM
    Virgin Media: Haggle down your costs. 24th Apr 06 at 8:54 PM

The following thread lists successes and failures at trying to haggle discounts with Virgin Media.

Full Tips are in the

This discussion has been running a long time, some of the early reports related to NTL/Telewest which later became Virgin. For the latest feedback click later on in the thread.
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 23-06-2008 at 11:43 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 4
  • carolt
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, you wonderful people....

I've been with NTL for a couple of years, was paying the (relatively high) 25 a month for 2 MB broadband and 25 for phone rental and Talk Unlimited 24. Just phoned their disconnection dept. (number as above) saying 'I want to change to Talk Talk', having first done the maths and worked out how much I'd save (about 34 a month in my case, as also make about 4-5 worth of international calls a month) - and was told INSTANTLY by very harrassed sounding bloke on the other end that from now on my monthly charge would be 17.50 A MONTH!!!!!!! ie a saving of 32.50 a month with no hassle, disconnection charges etc and told my broadband would go up to 4MB from 1st June! Not bad for less than a 60 second phonecall (and about 20 minute waiting time - but at least that was a freephone number) and NO negotiation involved on my part at all - as soon as I said the above, he offered! Admittedly, forgot to ask whether this locked me into a contract or how long this was for, but even if it does lock me in at those prices, I'm not complaining. So all thanks to Martin's money tip for this week.

Cheers all, saved 390/year this morning...
  • unitedjmd
    Does anyone know what time the ntl disconnections number is open til?

Wouldn't be able to ring til about 8 tonight.
  • lex
    small success
    I phoned NTL in Jan, and asked for a discount and got 5.50 a month off tv/phone package for 6 months.

Saw the article today, and thought I'd try my luck again. Mentioned Talk Talk, and he offered me another 5 off my broadband for 6 months. I said that Talk Talk were still alot cheaper, and the and the guy rambled on for ages about Talk Talk locking me in for 18 months, and having to pay 77 for disconnection charges, and they are going to put the prices up, blah, blah. Then offered me half price broadband for 3 months. (3 x 12.50). But told me to phone back in 3 months to refresh that deal.

Not great, but he was very resistant, and I did already have one discount on my package. So was paying

Digital base pack and telephone 21.50
    2MB Broadband 24.99
    Total 46.49

Now paying (after two phone calls)
    Digital base pack and telephone 16.00
    2MB Broadband 12.50
    Total 28.50

But I think my base pack will go back up to full price in July, and BB in Aug, so think I will phone back in August once both have run out to see what I can get. Only an extra 37 saved this call, but still worth a 10 min phone freephone phone call.

I can't even get TalkTalk here anyway!

lex
    • kizatt
    • By kizatt 3rd May 06, 2:50 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kizatt
    I've just spent 55 minutes on the phone haggling with Telewest! Thankfully the customer relations guy was incredibly nice once we'd got past him telling me how awful the talk talk deal would really be (same reasons as given to others in previous posts - also referred me to the register website previously mentioned - pointed out that telewest are on there, too & he had to check right away - broke the ice a bit once i said the headline was 'ad watchdog fingers telewest' ).

anyway, i don't think i've got quite as good a deal as some of you, but i've gone from £58 a month (not including call charges) for talk unlimited with call waiting, 4 MB BB and starter TV to £45.50 for 12 months but changed to 2 MB BB (to be upgraded to 4 MB in line with ntl, apparently) and have free Teleport TV (would be £5/month) for the next 6 months & a £11 credit on my account. overall i'm pretty chuffed - saved £161 for the year & i'm not in an area that can get the talk talk free BB anyway, so i'd be £30.99 with them plus the £30 connection fee, my 3 months with BT and the cost of a freeview box, so i probably did not bad in the end! most importantly, i'm not tied in at all, so if they annoy me i can just leave & he encouraged me to phone back if any new deals come on that i want switched over to.

he also said they're soon to be launching talk anywhere which includes non-geographic, mobile & international calls & that customer relations are not happy with the recent change to the talk packages that you have to pay after 60 minutes & have complained in the hope that it won't take effect in june after all.

good luck to everyone who's still to phone - definitely go with customer relations, they have more clout to offer you a good deal or switch you onto a new-customers-only package.
  • sueden
    Ntl saving
    Many thanxs for this info, I have just rang NTL & within 2mins I had reduced my cost down by 10 p.m & got talk unlimited free for 3 months.
  • aidyonline
    success!! of sorts

i'm at home briefly reading this page, don't have much time to read into the details of the offers. i tried the talk talk webpage and it seems i might not be eligible for their offer, maybe because i live in northern ireland.

nonetheless i phoned NTL 0800 052 9403 option 2 and told the guy on the phone i'd been reading about talk talk's offer and wondered if NTL had anything to compete.

he started talking about all the flaws in talk talk's offer but after a while, i just interupted him and said that i knew there were problems with talk taLK, but what can NTL do to compete? he pretty much immediately offered upgrading my 1MB broadband to 2MB and further increase to 4MB in june plus remove a 2 per month 'unlimited local' charge!

whilst it's not a massive saving, it's not bad for 8 minutes work!(5 of which were waiting in the queue) especially since i don't even know if the talk talk offer applies to me!

great tip!!

aidyonline
    • c_smith
    • By c_smith 3rd May 06, 4:11 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    c_smith
    Phoned TW and spoke to a very friendly and helpful guy who offered to reduce my TW bill from 47 per month to 31 for 3 months.
  • odannyboy
    Forget even mentioning talk talk or anyone else, call the NTL number, then select option 2.

I,ve just saved myself 20 pound a month, by saying ''we can't afford your prices, lets negotiate''

Now paying half the Base price and 17.99 broadband down to 9.99.

Well done to all on this thread
  • allgood
    I really do love this site!!

Just been on the phone to NTL, mentioned Talk Talk and the guy was very understanding. We run a business from home so need unlimited calls all day.

After 5 mins I got £20 off my monthly bill and got upgraded to 10meg broadband!!!

We do web design and I said that the 8meg limit had seduced me.

He offered 2 meg for £12.50 a month and 10meg for £17.99 a month, I said I wanted 10meg for the same price and got it!!!

Old bill
    1 base - £21.50
    broadband 1mb - £17.99
    1 talk unlimited - £14.50
    (discount for 3 - £9.49)

= £44.50

New bill
    1 base - £21.50
    broadband 10meg - £12.50
    talk unlimited - free
    (discount - £9.49)

= £24.51

Absolutely class. its all good.
  • philbo
    AWESOME: 10Mb 9.99 with no line rental!!
    OK - I officially love this site. Not only has it got me a ton of money back already in mis-sold endownment fees, and prompted me to get back 100 I was owed using moneyclaimonline, it has now helped me get the deal of the decade with NTL:

Phoned them and after 20 mins holding mentioned I had seen the Talk Talk offer and thinking of leaving blah blah. Didn't play this too heavily - all quite calm. Note - I do not have line rental, just 1Mb broadband.

He thinks for a while, asks about the talk talk deal, then offers me:

10Mb (TEN) Broadband only for 9.99 per month.

No catches. No line rental. No TV. Just 10 quid for 10Mb unlimited broadband.

I am happy as Larry!

Do it - give them a call now (remember - they're only open 9-5!)
  • golly
    managed a deal with NTL
    I've been with NTL for many years now and have regularly haggled discounts with them to retain my custom. I rang and stated was thinking of leaving and joining Talktalk and they gave me the full works for 13.50 less than i was already paying to retain my custom.
    I'm now getting Family pack TV, talk unlimited 24 inc line rental and 4mb broadband for a total of 30 per month. Thats quite a saving over the year. Give it a go you've got nothing to lose.
    • BigTezza
    • By BigTezza 3rd May 06, 5:26 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    BigTezza
    I wish they were consistent. I've got a similar package but I had the Supreme TV bundle so I was paying nearly 48 per month. First of all I was stonewalled with lots of technobabble about how Telewest services were much better than people like Talk Talk and they ignored my questions about pricing. I decided to downgrade the TV package as I really don't watch all the channels and I wasn't asked why I was doing it. Only when I mentioned other offers and Telewest's own cheap offers for new customers did they move a little - 4 per month less for 6 months. I can barely contain my excitement......Is it worth trying again???
  • bandit598
    ntl
    Just a huge thankyou to everyone re NTL rang them today didnt have to haggle got talk 24 unlimited and the 1mb broadband for 20.49 for 6 months with option to ring when expired saving me approx 120 as wasnt on talk 24 unlimited prior ....... also thanks to the site for savings on many other items have spread the word and will continue
  • frugal 1
    I'm on the 3 for 30 deal and after calling NTL they offered to discount the price of the broadband from 17.99 to 9.99 for six months. They didn't offer anything else but to be fair I was more than happy as I'm not a heavy phone user.

Just goes to show that for the time of one free phone call I've made quite a saving.

• moggsy
    Phoned NTL and got my 24.99 2Meg broadband down to 12.50 a month for a year. I thought that was a great deal until I read the post about 10Meg broadband for 9.99. Now thinking about phoning them again... :confused:
  • nicp97
    worked for me
    I rang with every intention to switching my broadband and telephone to Talk Talk because it made financial sense. 11.00 BT telephone and 17.99 bb connection. Woman at NTL just said " ok, we'll half your monthly direct debit to 9.00".
    I said " is that it?"
    She said "yep" And it was , this months payment was 8.99!
  • sachsboy
    I have also tried this with NTL. I have been a customer for over 10 years and last February they sent me a leaflet asking if I was paying too much for my Broadband, so I rang them and told them I was and that it was them that were charging me too much and that I wanted to leave, without any arguement or discussion the lady said that she could ofer me an 8.49 permanent discount which I acepted. It always pays to ask.
  • Danlaur
    THANK YOU !!!!.... Just come off the phone to Telewest...

Very helpful assistant ofered to keep my package

Saved from 50.66 a month to .... 20.99 ( for 6 months & reviewable)

Saves me 180 for starters... so I have given HIM some tips on this site etc

Cheers

P
    • stuartw101
    • By stuartw101 4th May 06, 11:28 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    stuartw101
    Hi, just wondering if anyone give me advice about whether or not i could get any sort of discount. Currently we pay:

1 Family plus Sports and Movies - 52.50
    4 Additional Set top box rent - 60
    1 1MB BB - 17.99
    1 Standard 321 telephone - 0
    1 Line rental with tv pack - 0

Not sure if its possible to do anything here, also what is the 321 telephone rate as it seems i dont have to pay per motnh for it.

Thank, hope you can help as i want to try and phone today.
    • jackswan
    • By jackswan 4th May 06, 11:45 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jackswan
    superb
    What a result.

previously being charged 46.49 plus phone charges for 2Mb broadband, Tv base pack and phone. Now after calling 0800 052 9403 option 2 and mentioning that i was finding it expensive, offered the above plus Talk 24 for 23.49 inclusive. That is a saving of at least 30 a month.

This is for 12 months and told to ring then (May 2007)to see what they can do at the time. Part of the offer (tv and phone)only lasts at a time for 3 months but the person I spoke to says that it will be reset at the time and if it is not just ring and it will be backdated.

a very helpful person sorting this out and got through within a minute.

Thanks for the advice on this board.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,128Posts Today

5,571Users online

Martin's Twitter