Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 24th Apr 06, 8:54 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Virgin Media: Haggle down your costs.
    • 24th Apr 06, 8:54 PM
    Virgin Media: Haggle down your costs. 24th Apr 06 at 8:54 PM

The following thread lists successes and failures at trying to haggle discounts with Virgin Media.

Full Tips are in the

This discussion has been running a long time, some of the early reports related to NTL/Telewest which later became Virgin. For the latest feedback click later on in the thread.
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 23-06-2008 at 11:43 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 3
  • macca64
    Currently paying 17.99 for 2MB broadband and 10.50 for line rental = 28.49

Mentioned the Talk Talk offer, but only got offered 3 per month discount for 6 months = 18 saving.

Was told I'd be able to get a better deal if I had TV with them as well, but currently with Sky. They did say phone back in 6 months to check what offers are on then.
    • billieboy
    • By billieboy 3rd May 06, 9:47 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    billieboy
    I called Telewest and said I was seriously thinking of moving to TalkTalk as they had such a good deal on and would they be able to do anything about my bill. She immediately said yes we'll be able to change your bill to £34 for 12 months (from £41). So a saving of £7 per month. She said they are changing their offers all the time so it's worth looking on their website but when I looked I couldn't see the £34 per month deal I got. Anyway, I will ring them again in 12 months. By the way, I'm on 4Mb.
  • mistry
    Telewest came up trumps
    After reading Martins Mailing today I decided to call Telewest. I wasted no time and went straight for the cancellations dept.

I mentioned the Talk Talk offer and that i didn't really want the TV. The CS lady went on to tell me talk talk isn't such a great offer, and I'd be locked for 18 months and the prices can go up after 12. To which i replied "it's still cheaper then what you offer". This went on for a few minutes...

So she offered
    • 4mb Broadband for £15 instead if £25
    • dropped my TV package by £6 (i did opt to lose some of the channels we never watched)
    • And now all off peak calls to land lines are capped to 6p/per call

This brought my monthly bill from £47 to £31. Saving me £16 a month. Also this price will hold for 12 months thats a whopping £192 saved.

This has to be the best call I've made in a while.
  • Flyer
    YES, It does work!!
    Just rung NTL and within 60 seconds was offered B/B 2GB for 9.99 and free unlimited 24 hour local/national calls free for 6 months!
    That will do until the next call in 6 months!!
    Thanks for all the posts!!
  • thrifty get
    Called ntl on 0800 052 9403 option 2 having been told a couple of weeks ago my bills were going up as my years discount was at an end. With very little effort was offered 2 meg broadband and talk unlimited 24 for 20.99(refused any 6 month discounts). This is an indefinate tariff and only requires 30 days notice. They called it a talk talk price match. Had threatend to leave but am relieved to be staying as I have ripped out my BT wires whilst decorating!
  • superchick0812
    telewest saving
    I rang Telewest enquiring about wether I was locked in as wanted to switch to Talk talk. Came away with 9 months free broadband which I was paying 25 per month for result!!
  • rojo
    Just rang TW, threaten to leave and they offered me 10mb internet for 30 instead of 35 plus 20 credit voucher off my next bill. No bad
  • mistry
    I rang Telewest enquiring about wether I was locked in as wanted to switch to Talk talk. Came away with 9 months free broadband which I was paying 25 per month for result!!
    by superchick0812
    Thats a cracking deal... well done
    • billieboy
    • By billieboy 3rd May 06, 10:15 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    billieboy
    It seems like Telewest are very inconsistent with what they are offering! Perhaps I should have haggled more but at the time I was quite happy with my 7 a month reduction! Maybe it depends on which CS rep you get. Anyway, I expect they are being kept very busy at the moment!
  • mistry
    It seems like Telewest are very inconsistent with what they are offering! .....
    by billieboy
    I agree, but i'm still happy knowing that I'm getting the same service for less money.
    • swimboy1
    • By swimboy1 3rd May 06, 10:20 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    swimboy1
    NTL savings
    I pay 24.99 for 2mb broadband from NTL (been with them ages).

Rang Customer Relations and mentioned bulldog etc (I take 'phone service from BT). I've been offered (and accepted):

Next 3 months FREE (saving 74.97)
    and the subsequent monthly rentals reduced to 12.50 a month permanently.

WOW!

Richard

PS: 2mb being upgraded to 4mb free of charge on 1st June too.
  • choppy101
    Phoned telewest, got my 4mb price down to 2mb (from 25 to 18) and £3 a month off telephone and £2.00 off TV too so £144.00 off a year!
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 3rd May 06, 11:15 AM
    • 6,741 Posts
    • 5,116 Thanks
    Reaper
    Another success
    Phoned up. Customer services offered me a measly 6 off my bill. I said I wanted to cancel so went though to Retentions (long wait - lots of people must want to cancel).

Result: Bill cut from 46.99 to 23 for a year.

• princessmoneysaver
    • By princessmoneysaver 3rd May 06, 11:38 AM
    • 15,636 Posts
    • 322,046 Thanks
    princessmoneysaver
    Line rental - 10.50
    Talk Unlimited 24 - 14.50
    1MB Broadband - 9.99

This is what I currently pay, the Broadband is fixed for a while yet (I'm sure it's November but I could be wrong, will check later). Was told that because I have cheap Braodband anyway they can't do anymore deals for me. Is this true?
    2020 January wins - Recipe book, Stirfry Pan, Vitamin C Spray, Paula's Choice Skincare, Les Georgettes Bracelet, Bathbomb, 10
  • dominiquereynolds
    Further to my post yesterday.

This time I phoned the 0800 number and hit option 2. Explained that yesterday I was offered £8 phone line rental with free evening and week-end calls. But I have since read about talk talk and want to discuss getting a better deal in the phone and Broadband package

Offered Unlimited 24 with a 2mb BB service for £20.99 or 10mb for £30.99.

The kind gentleman also told me that if I took the 2mb service this is being upgraded to the 4mb service at end of month.

I have decided to stay on the 10mb service and may drop to the 4mb service next month when they have done the upgrades.

So I got a SAVING of £14 a month and NOW GET uk land line calls 24hours a day (after 1 hour just hang up and redial).

I get the free phone calls in 4 hours time :-)
    THANK YOU MARTIN
  • brisck1
    Whew, Telewest really are hard work :P Just been on the phone haggling my way into a better deal. Started off a bit un prepared, I rang them at the enquiries department and mentioned the TalkTalk deal and wether they were offering anything to match it for existing customers. I immediately got a speech about how they have small print etc, how I would have to be with BT for 3 months etc, loads of stuff. This initially left me a bit stumped on the phone but I then relaised they had given me all the ammo I needed to ring back and try a different approach.

I rang again and asked to be put through to the cancellation department. I said I'd realised I was no longer under contract and had been looking at my options for the future. Basically I mentioned talktalk's deal and said that despite(insert the previous call's negative comments list here) I still thought it was a great deal but would prefer to stick with TW if possible. I told them that i'd already enquired with BT and talk talk and that I could get a strong connection and that broadband would be available - not stictly true, but then they dont know any better (TW mention in 'most' cases you might not be able to get the BB with TT)

So she went through a few deals with me and my package went from £42 for 4mb broadband,line rental and TV to £35 on the same deal not alot i guess but hey thats a few pints worth each month
    Last edited by brisck1; 03-05-2006 at 11:56 AM.
  • Liverbird
    Just spoke very assertively to Telewest and had my monthly bill reduced by 10.50p

Customer Service girl also mentioned looking at this website... www.theregister.co.uk
  • MumofThree
    NTL deals
    Line rental - 10.50
    Talk Unlimited 24 - 14.50
    1MB Broadband - 9.99

This is what I currently pay, the Broadband is fixed for a while yet (I'm sure it's November but I could be wrong, will check later). Was told that because I have cheap Braodband anyway they can't do anymore deals for me. Is this true?
    by YvonneCrossland
    Hi there,

Did you ring the disconnections number (0800 052 9403 - option 2) for this or just the normal customer service?

To get the good deals you MUST ring the disconnections number. I got what you have with the broadband upgraded to 2 meg for 20 per month indefinitely. However I wasn't on any special deal when I rang.
    • princessmoneysaver
    • By princessmoneysaver 3rd May 06, 12:18 PM
    • 15,636 Posts
    • 322,046 Thanks
    princessmoneysaver
    Yes that was the number I rang. May try again later & see what happens then.
    2020 January wins - Recipe book, Stirfry Pan, Vitamin C Spray, Paula's Choice Skincare, Les Georgettes Bracelet, Bathbomb, 10
  • Brio
    Telewest reduction
    After reading the forums I phoned Telewest about my 10mb Broadband cost of 35 a month and that I was thinking of changing to TalkTalk.
    He told me the up to 8mb Talk Talk broadband is not guaranteed and it depends how far from the exchange you are for the down load speed. Also I would have to disconnect Telewest phone and reconnect BT at more cost and time.
    But anyway we will reduce your Broadband cost by 10 a month for 6 months to the 4mb rate.
    Result!!!
    Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,815Posts Today

9,710Users online

Martin's Twitter