Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 24th Apr 06, 8:54 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Virgin Media: Haggle down your costs.
    • 24th Apr 06, 8:54 PM
    Virgin Media: Haggle down your costs. 24th Apr 06 at 8:54 PM

The following thread lists successes and failures at trying to haggle discounts with Virgin Media.

Full Tips are in the

This discussion has been running a long time, some of the early reports related to NTL/Telewest which later became Virgin. For the latest feedback click later on in the thread.
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 23-06-2008 at 11:43 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 2
  • altypotter
    Hi there. I have just called ntl to see what they could do. We did have 1mb broadband at £9.50 per month, Family pack at £30 inc line rental and talk unlimited evening and weekends for £6.

Having complained especially as the international call plan is now going to be chargeable again I have now been given talk unlimited for free. A saving of £6 a month which I thought was pretty good.
  • linuxsapien
    Banter it cheaper!
    For the near 10 years Ive been with cable, Ive always haggled my way into cheaper or more efficiant deals.. Its the beauty of cable, they can and usually will give you a better deal, all it takes is a friendly call..

Currently I am on the three for 30 deal, ontop of that I also have the family pack for half price.. Indeed I shall get the banter flowing again about the TT deal, as I doubt Id ever leave cable, its just too much fun..

• SurferDude
    Some success, not as much as I hoped though.
    Before:
    Telephone: £10.50
    Internet: £26.99 (2MB)
    TV: £11
    Total: £48.49

After:
    Telephone: £8.50 (now includes free local and weekend calls)
    Internet: £12.50 (but only for three months - then I phone again)
    TV: Still £11
    Total: £36

Saving of £12.49 - but only for three months. Was trying to blag a faster conneciton for free, but no dice.
    The more you save, the more you can spen don stuff you want!!!!
    • legion1mick
    • By legion1mick 2nd May 06, 6:46 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    legion1mick
    After only 3 mins on phone NTL cut my bill from 51.00 to 33.99 per month and gave me "free" evening and weekend calls, BRILL....
  • viken
    Telewest-v-Talk talk.
    When talk talk deal came to light, first call of the day was to Telewest, and without much pushing my package with Telewest ( phone, TV package and Blueyonder broadband ) was reduced from 57.00 to 38.00 monthly. Should they had not reduced my charges, I would not have left Telewest as I strongly believe that they offer the best broadband service in the country.
  • davidbaker999
    Success with Telewest on Saturday.

Called cancellation line on 0800 073 0591 to say I was ready to leave as there were so many better deals on ADSL as against cable.

Helpful woman said Telewest is looking at its pricing this year in response to what is happening with broadband and gave me half price broadband for 3 months with the deal that we talk again in July.

I'm happy with that
  • jonnymeldrum
    Was offered Talk Unlimited 24 free for one year when threatened to quit.
  • rajweb
    7.50 off Telewest
    I read the article and got onto Telewest immediately. I simply stated that I have spoken with Talk Talk, Home Choice and Sky and that I can get a combination that is both cheaper and superior in terms of what is offered. They tried to get technical but I pointed out that I was an I.I. professional. I was immediately offered 7.50/month off my TV/Phone/Broadband bundle for 12 months. I could probably have haggled for more but I just took what they offered.
  • dominiquereynolds
    After phoning Sky to get Sky+ installed for 65 this friday I then phoned NTL.

Present Package:
    Phone Line (321 call rates)
    And 10mb Broadband.

I did not discuss the BB but after reading the thread will phone them ;-)

Told them I wanted a better offer as I can get free evening and week-end calls with BT and using a CPS provider.

Now got phone rental for 8 a month and free national and eveing off peak calls.

Dom
  • vji6697
    Telewest Deal
    Called Telewest today as I wanted to talk about TV Drive + look at ways of reducing my package.

Currently On. 10Mb BB + Basic TV + Talk Weekend Phone = 51/month.

Asked the CS guy if I could go on the 3 for 35 bundle which is the same as I currently have, but with 4Mb instead of 10.

He said no, as that for....wait for it...."Brand New Customers Only"

To his credit he did say that his hands were tied with this but I might fare better with Customer Relations, so he put me thru. I spoke to a lovely lady, who when I told her I was after the "3 for 30" deal, she said, I can give you the threesome deal" which turns out to be my existing package for 30/month for 12 months.

I then asked her about moving the external TW box + relocating my cable modem to which she quoted 75 but then said..."but I can credit that so we will do that for free".

Brilliant. So with the 20/month saved, I went for TV Drive
    • edtheduck
    • By edtheduck 2nd May 06, 9:18 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    edtheduck
    I rang ntl the other day and didnt really get any amazing offers-said i could have family pack free for 1 mth..wow!!(not)

Currently on 3 for 30 and pay additional 8.50 for extra family pack tv channels (38.50). Bill usually 45 ish - dont use phone much(about 5).

Should be:- 10.50 line rental, 17.99 1mb bb, 11.00 + 8.50 = 47.99 + 5 on calls =53, so save about 8pm.
    Was told that i was already on a good deal but i'm not so sure....what does annyone think?
  • Mikeymikes
    Telewest
    Being a longstanding Telewest customer I took the advice in the forum to ask about Telewest matching Talk Talk's offer. I was told that they werent going to match the offer. When I pointed out that they were much more expensive than talk talk I was offered to be transferred to customer relations to arrange a disconnection - something that I didnt ask for. I was really annoyed by this. They managed to turn a curious existing customer into one that is definitely considering the jump now. So I gave it an hour and tried again.

I got somebody else this time. Similar answer to above first of all but with a little less aggression - I guess the first person was fed up of similar type of calls. But they said to be aware of the hidden charges with talk talk and the fact that their broadband is capped. I have skimmed the smallprint and cant find anything to say that it is. Also, that I would have to return to BT and wouldnt be able to get talk talk for 3 months for contractual reasons.

Can anyone shed any light on this

Thanks

Mikeymikes
  • babblerx
    What you get with the TalkTalk deal
    * 20.99 per month for up to 8Mb (160x speed) broadband
    - unlimited UK landline calls
    - unlimited International calls to 28 countries
    - includes phone line rental - no need to pay BT
    - 40GB monthly usage allowance included (heavy user)
    * Free modem for on-line orders
    * 29.99 connection charge
    * Single bill for broadband and phone
    * Earn Nectar loyalty points on every bill
    * TalkTalk are part of the Carphone Warehouse group
    * This service currently has limited UK coverage and potentially long delays for broadband connection. You may be offered an alternative broadband service for an extra 9.99 a month

So there is a BB usage cap on TalkTalk, but it's 40GB/Month which should be enough for most people. Also, (for the non techies amongst you) you should be aware that when it says upto 8Mb BB, this is the theoretical maximum speed. With ADSL your connection speed is determined by your proximity to BTs nearest digital exchange. In practice, very very few people will get 8Mb (but I'd be happy to be proved wrong on this). I know a few people on ADSL and the best speed I've known is 6Mb/sec. Then again, this will be more than enough for most people. Overall, I would say for people on a BT line the TalkTalk deal seems really good.

Unfortunately, I'm currently on Telewest and paying, wait for it....65/month!!
    However, I do have 10Mb BB and am a fairly heavy user (I have to say I'm pretty happy with the Telewest service, except for the cost of course), but a quick comparison shows me I can get TalkTalk and Sky for approx 39/month, so definately some investigations/phone calls tomorrow!
  • babblerx
    extra to my above post
    With regards people being told by their current providers that TalkTalk would put up their prices in 6 months :-

1) I saw the TalkTalk CEO being interviewed when the deal was announced, being asked how they would make a profit. He said it would take about 2 years for TalkTalk to start making any money from the deal, but they had factored all of this and would continue to offer the deal

2) Even if they did go back on that statement and put up their prices, they would still likely be cheaper than most other providers

'Nuff said!

If nothing else, I applaud them for having the balls to shake up the market...I just hope their customer service is decent. CS is a big bugbear of mine...I don't mind a few quid more if it means I'm not getting some brainless moron reading off a cue card when I ring for help. So far, I've found Telewest CS to be pretty good (even after the NTL merger!), but that may change if I ring and threaten to cancel tomorrow.
  • harkin
    Telewest-no way
    I would just get away from telewest as quick as you can. I recently moved house & they wanted me to sign up for a 12 month contract as well as putting the price up. They are trying to bill me for the same period at my old address & at my new address, they are also trying to bill me for an additional set top box which I have never had. I fill in their contact form, they refuse to answer half of the forms as they say I haven't supplied the password. It turns out my account doesn't have a password!

Each time they send me a bill/letter it has a different amount on it.

Customer service what exactly does this mean to Telewest? Maybe overcharging customers & issuing incorrect bills. I also think that it is worth comparing Talk Talks Terms & conditions to Telewests it makes interesting reading. I sincerely hope that Talk Talk is a great success as Telewest are a shoddy company and I regret dealing with them. Also as you article points out Telewest are only offering to make reductions because of Talk Talk, so if you can get out of your contract with Telewest I would.
    • horrible
    • By horrible 2nd May 06, 11:35 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    horrible
    I tried it with Telewest last week. Phoned them up and told them I was considering moving to Talk Talk and enquired about how much notice I would have to give them, etc. I wasn't offered anything to stay, so I'm now seriously thinking about phoning up and giving them 30 days notice of cancelling my services.

I've been with them for 3 years and have phone, broadband and TV packages totalling 47 a month before I make any calls. I use call1899 for my calls as Telewest are too expensive. I've always found their services to be reliable, but they are just becoming too expensive now.
    by c_smith

I have my phone and broadband with Telewest and after asking to close the account I was referred to the disconnections team and after asking why I was leaving offered the next higher broadband deal, the cheap mobile and international call packages for free, and this was without really trying.............go for it!!.
  • allan
    When calling telewest it is also a good idea to mention that you are considering getting a freeview box. When I did this they imediately took 30 off my bill (as this was the cost of a freeview box).
    After a bit more pushing saying that I could see new customers could get the three for 30 offer and i felt that i was being persecuted for being a loyal customer they gave me the 3 for 30 offer, therefore basic tv package, 2 mb BB + phone with free weekend calls saving 14 a month /168 for the year. Happy days!
  • ben_edwards2612
    In-contract customers
    Can anyone comment on whether the deals offered are available to customers still in a 12 month contract? :confused: Is there any welly behind the threat of cancellation or am I definately tied in for 12 months?

cheers,

Ben.
  • linuxsapien
    Wonderful
    See, it just takes a little bit of friendly banter.. so what am I on now..

telephone linerental + 24TU
    10MB broadband
    digital tv + family pack

£31.75 (thought she said .99, but its not)

excuse me, but, thats just a great deal for me! its only 1.75 extra for a HUGE boost to my services! The lovely lass knew i had been a customer for a very long time, so best just to keep me happy

Heres hoping they forget to take off the other discounts, shall see on the next bill
    Last edited by linuxsapien; 03-05-2006 at 9:39 AM.
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 3rd May 06, 9:34 AM
    • 6,740 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    Reaper
    Can anyone comment on whether the deals offered are available to customers still in a 12 month contract?
    by ben_edwards2612
    About a year ago I tried to negotiate forgetting I was still within my 12 months. No dice, they wouldn't even put me through to retentions. Think you'll have to wait.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,707Users online

Martin's Twitter