Tax Credit Overpayments, now interview with Inland Revenue (Negilence)?

Options
2»

Comments

• fairenoughclough
    Options
    stuwilky wrote:
    They do really record calls. Can you get access to them? Probably not - but try and Subject Data Protection Request - but do voice calls count? Im not sure.

And as for your third point, I received 36 notifications (18 each for me and mrs stuwilky) and I asked why, and they send me some interesting info.... which showed theyd ****ed up

...edit October 2002? - didnt the new system only start in April 2003?

Point 2, Yes I should have said 20 each for Mrs fairenoughclough and myself.

Point 3, You could register on the internet in October 2002.
    At a later date they said they'd lost it and I had to submit a paper form.
    Even later, they sent me a letter saying Mrs fairenoughclough didn't qualify for CTC, as she was already part of another claim.
    It turned out they'd "found" the internet claim! :eek:
    Just for one moment, thought I'd found my way.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The new system did start April 2003.But the forms were sent out prior to this, i think i received mine about the January time and sent it back. My youngest was born March 31st 2003 and i had one heck of a time trying to get thru to add her to my claim!
  • sunflower_2
    sunflower_2 Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    Options
    hi

the exact same thing happened to me
    (i posted about it somewhere else in this forum)

except i had been negligent as i didnt check the amount on my annual declaration against P60 for that year :(

the interview was truly awful (sorry)
    the worst thing was that there were 2 of them
    apparently they always come in 2's, (which made me think of the ark)

they just went through my bank statements
    wanted to know what all the "transfers" were, i explained they were just transfers to/from other accounts or to credit cards etc etc
    all above board on that score

they queried my working hours cos apparently you get more for working over 30 hours
    after about half an hour they seemed convinced that i did "usually" work 30 hours or more a week

they then said i would receive a penalty because i had been negligent, but because i had co-operated this would be minimal

they went through my income and expenditure to see how much i could afford to pay back at a time etc (this was the worst part)

a few days later i got a letter saying i had been overpaid (i cant recall how much it was, approx £700 i think)
    and because it was such a small amount i wouldnt be charged a penalty

so it all worked out ok in the end

i do think though, that had i been "funny" with them i would have been charged the penalty.... so i wouldnt recommend trying to shift any blame

but then again - my situation was different

good luck to your friend

[img]http://smileys.!!!!!!/cat/4/4_13_7.gif[/img]
  • fairenoughclough
    Options
    I the light of sunflowers' reply, perhaps you ought to attend the interview with your friend, if possible.

Een the numbers up and act as a witness.
    Just for one moment, thought I'd found my way.
  • sunflower_2
    Options
    I the light of sunflowers' reply, perhaps you ought to attend the interview with your friend, if possible.

Een the numbers up and act as a witness.

totally agree

i wouldnt have been on my own had i been warned there were 2 of them coming
  • irs101
    irs101 Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fairenoughclough said:

Do they really record calls ?

If they do, can I get access to these calls to show them how many times I told them they'd got it wrong ?

Yes. But, like Stu, I'm not sure if voice recordings count for DPA purposes - should be easy enough to find out.

One thing you could do is ask to see your CMA (Call Management Application) log which will record the outline details of the reason for your call (and what action the operator took).

irs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport