Should I report neighbour for fraud?

Neighbour is in her mid 30s, and lives with her father. She claims carers allowance for him as he has arthritis and uses a stick. Neighbour in her 30s has anxiety and sometimes gets depression, but goes out on her own and seems fine, always got her hair and make up done.

Neighbour had PIP assessment (which she won) and both her and her father were bragging to me about the assessment, saying that she put on a big performance and could of won an oscar, she said she made herself cry and ran upstairs crying and shouting etc. Neighbour lied on forms and to the assessor and said she cant make herself food as she will walk off and forget about it, but she posts photos on facebook and tells me that shes been making biscuits/cake a roast dinner etc. They also do cash in hand work in a pub.

Despite claiming PIP neighbour is also looking for a part time job, but surely that contradicts her claiming PIP for anxiety and depression?

Should I report her?

Comments

• gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Nothing to do with you......and why cant she have a job
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    PIP isn't about whether or not you can work. It's possible and legal to work full time and claim. It's quite possible that receiving PIP is what means she's now able to look for part time work.

Being able to do something in benefit terms isn't about whether or not you can actually get it done. It has to be done safely, reliably and to an acceptable standard. It's possible that she got points for not being able to cook, but is able to bake the things she puts on facebook - she's unlikely to post that her father had to supervise her, or remind her to take them out of the oven, for instance.

If they did lie and put on an act at the assessment then that's another matter - but to get a home assessment in the first place would require medical evidence. Although your post is confusing - does she work in the pub or is she looking for work?

I suppose some people would go around confessing benefit fraud to random neighbours, but I doubt many would be so stupid. Not least because if they're savvy enough to be committing fraud they're not going to risk a conviction. I imagine it's far more likely that people downplay illness, and pretend things are better than they are.

If you really think they're committing fraud then whether or not you act is up to you. But do a bit of research into benefit rules first, because it sounds like you don't know enough about it to make an informed decision about what constitutes fraud.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No.
    PIP is not an out of work benefit.
    Working and claiming PIP is not fraud.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    You've never known someone to work that suffers from depression? Doing her hair and make up means she isn't depressed?

The only potental issue here is her claiming carers allowance and her earnings but will depend on what she earns.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    No.
    PIP is not an out of work benefit.
    Working and claiming PIP is not fraud.

Working and claiming PIP is not fraud, but lying about what you can and can't do during the assessment is. In the situation described by the OP I would contact DWP and detail the claims made to them about the fraudulent claim.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No-one can answer this question.

It's about your own moral compass and what you really know and what you, actually, don't know.

My ex had depression and anxiety, badly, but, when she was in a good phase could go out by herself, dressed smartly, work, etc. Yet when she was very bad could do none of the above.

PIP isn't handed out for a good "performance" at the assessment - there needs to be supporting medical evidence
  • Topcat1982
    Topcat1982 Posts: 391 Forumite
    If they really are doing "cash in hand" work you can report them to HMRC

Don't report her for doing her hair and make-up.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Neighbour had PIP assessment (which she won) and both her and her father were bragging to me about the assessment, saying that she put on a big performance and could of won an oscar, she said she made herself cry and ran upstairs crying and shouting etc.

Neighbour lied on forms and to the assessor and said she cant make herself food as she will walk off and forget about it, but she posts photos on facebook and tells me that shes been making biscuits/cake a roast dinner etc.

On the basis of the above, it sounds as if she has at least stretched the truth if not downright lied in order to get taxpayers' money.
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Can't stand people like this, Yes report fraud, But don't report someone because of jealousy or bitterness.

PIP isn't means tested.

Seems OP doesn't want people eating certain foods because they're on benefits! Everyone who passes an assessment talks about it, And of course glad they passed or got enough points. A western democracy having to have people show you have enough points to be deemed sick. Sad state of affairs right now.

Someone with anxiety, Cooking and baking does actually help with symptoms and takes ones mind off those symptoms.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    paragon909 wrote: »
    Someone with anxiety, Cooking and baking does actually help with symptoms and takes ones mind off those symptoms.

But if you are claiming points because you can't prepare a meal then being able to cook to ease your anxiety contradict each other - they can't both be true.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure