PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Great 'things to do before you move house' Hunt

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
Great 'things to do before you move house' Hunt

Moving house can be a stressful experience and there's a mountain of MoneySaving tasks to scale, from switching utility suppliers to changing addresses and updating the electoral register. Missing things can majorly affect your financial health so we'd like to hear MoneySavers' tips on how you've made the process smoother.

View past Great Hunts.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• Unicornucopia
    Unicornucopia Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 7 July 2011 at 11:56AM
    The past two house moves have been a nightmare. This time I've been given a year to declutter as we are downsizing. I'm making a fortune on eBay but it's only having a limited impact space-wise. I must get more ruthless or we'll be spending a fortune on removals including stuff still in boxes from the last house move (10 years ago!);)
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    An OS tip I learned from my parents: Measure existing curtains and carpets carefully, they may well fit the 'new' house.
    Last time we moved I was able to shorten two pairs of curtains, re-hang several others and had three carpets cut to fit the new rooms. This meant that we didn't have to rush out & buy straight away.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • aloiseb
    aloiseb Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sounds obvious to have a survey done. We really thought we had had a full survey on our 80 year old house, before we bought it, but it turned out that the building society giving us our mortgage had made a mistake :eek:and ticked the box for the Home Buyer's Survey only (the cheaper one).

This meant that our survey did not include comments about woodworm and rewiring (to mention the 2 biggest issues). If we had realised in time, we would have dropped our offer price. Sadly we did not, and assumed everything was OK because the BS told us the survey was fine........we found out a few days before completion, and arranged our own full survey, but by then of course we couldn't change the price.:mad:

Their little mistake cost us several thousand pounds. I wonder if we should have sued them....we were feeling too exhausted to be savvy at the time.
  • oramgepekoe
    oramgepekoe Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Use up all the food in your freezer and cupboards to save chucking it out when you move.
  • GrahamB
    GrahamB Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Use up all the food in your freezer and cupboards to save chucking it out when you move.

But surely the removal companies these days will accept transporting freezers with food in them? Food shouldn't spoil if not switched off (short moving distance) for too long.
  • 36ros
    36ros Posts: 1 Newbie
    my daughter has just left home for the first time and needed everything,we joined a local internet group called freecycle,she has now nearly kitted out her flat and best of all for free.what a brilliant idea,less land fill ,and helping those who need it.
  • julie777
    julie777 Posts: 340 Forumite
    36ros wrote: »
    my daughter has just left home for the first time and needed everything,we joined a local internet group called freecycle,she has now nearly kitted out her flat and best of all for free.what a brilliant idea,less land fill ,and helping those who need it.

ALSO if you have stuff to get rid of at the last minute OFFER it on freecycle and usually someone will take it within 24 hours. You do have to check your emails and arrange a time with the taker.
    By the way if you cannot find freecycle look under yahoo groups. It's gr8 :j
  • julie777
    julie777 Posts: 340 Forumite
    If you are going for a DIY move as we always do:-
    1) Tell all your family + friends - we had 15 people turn up to help on the day and others who helped before and after. Another friend brought round lunch for them all!
    2) Start packing early.
    3) Small boxes which can fit back in your cupboards are best then you won't be tripping over them AND they won't be so heavy.
    4) Books are fine in carrier bags (doubled up)
    5) Use glossy magazines for wrapping delicate stuff and crockery then if you are like me you won't feel the need to wash it all at the other end.
    6) Freecycle or Ebay stuff you won't be needing.
    7) Start early with an organized list of who to contact and maybe print off some "Change of Address" letters.

STAY CALM AND HAVE A GREAT MOVE !!!
  • Take the week after off is my advice!

Matt
  • Kittendreich
    Kittendreich Posts: 420 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2011 at 11:59AM
    My biggest tip for the day of the move is to make sure you have a box with stuff you will need last & first in it. i.e. food stuff (kettle, teabags, coffee, milk, juice, snacks, mugs, plates, cutlery & takeaway menu), your bed (or somethign to sleep on...last thing to pack and should be the first thing you unpack so at the end of the day you can crash out) & a radio (or something to listen to while unpacking)... That covers the basics for day one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure