Money Moral Dilemma: She injured my dog - should she pay?

Options
Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 22 June 2010 at 12:39PM in MoneySaving polls
This is a real life MMD so please bear in mind the MoneySaver in question will read your responses:
Please give this MoneySaver the benefit of your advice...
She injured my dog - should she pay?

After dinner out with a friend she started suffering from food poisoning back at my house. Whilst running to the bathroom for the 10th time she accidently slammed the door on my dog - too ill to realise what she was doing. She was treated in hospital and is now ok but my dog had to go to the vet's - which was very expensive for me as I am out of work. Should I ask her to pay?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• Evansangel
    Evansangel Posts: 6,791 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe if you had insurance it wouldn't be so much?
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most people who are out of work would struggle to afford pet insurance. Isn't there a company called Blue Cross who help people on low incomes to afford vet's bills. It wasn't really your poor friends fault - not yours (or the dogs) either. I'd see if I could claim elsewhere first
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • katiej79
    Options
    I think the unfortunate truth is that it was an accident and it is your dog. You can't expect someone else to pay. If you can't afford to keep a dog (which includes vet bills) then don't keep a dog.

If your friend offered to pay some of the bill then that would be another matter.

You could also cause some seriously bad blood by asking her to pay so think about how valuable the friendship is before deciding!!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 June 2010 at 9:38PM
    Options
    I agree - it was an accident, couldn't be helped, could just have easily have happened with you as with her. I wouldn't dream of asking the friend to pay. All comes as part of the joys of dog ownership, having to take responsibility for the unexpected. If you can't afford unexpected large bills, you need to try to get insurance if at all possible, or use services such as the PDSA if available near you. It probably won't be the last large bill your pet lands you with, so it is something you need to take into account somehow.
    Although I wouldn't be so harsh as to say get rid of the dog - if I lost my job I'd struggle to pay for mine, but I'd turn heaven and earth to keep her.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    It was an accident but the people who cause accidents are the ones who have to pay.

If my car accidentally hits your car, who is to blame? If I accidentally drop your glass vase who has to pay?

If there is no insurance then the person who causes the accident pays.
  • smileyt_2
    smileyt_2 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    Options
    katiej79 wrote: »
    I think the unfortunate truth is that it was an accident and it is your dog. You can't expect someone else to pay. If you can't afford to keep a dog (which includes vet bills) then don't keep a dog.

If your friend offered to pay some of the bill then that would be another matter.

You could also cause some seriously bad blood by asking her to pay so think about how valuable the friendship is before deciding!!

This is a bit harsh! Perhaps the OP could afford his/her dog easily until becoming unemployed?

As for the dilemma - I'm afraid I can't offer any advice as I don't know what I would do if this happened to one of my dogs. You may just have to chalk it up to experience, unfortunately. And keep your dog out of her way next time she visits! Perhaps there is a way you could mention it in conversation.

I have to say, if I had injured an animal, I would offer to pay some of the bill.

Couldn't she claim compensation from the restaurant and use that towards the vet's bill?
    Aspire not to have more but to be more.
    Oscar Romero

Still trying to be frugal...
  • skint-student-nurse
    Options
    i would check to see if i could get help with the vets bill (as already suggested,blue cross,rspca,etc) and if that wasnt an option, i would ask the friend to contribute to the vets bill.
    ;)
  • Apricot
    Apricot Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Options
    If I had injured the dog and knew you were unemployed and short of money then I would offer to pay.
    However, it is correct that if you had had insurance you wouldn't have had to pay so much and I wouldn't ask her to contribute to the vets bill as it was obviously an accident.
    :happylove DD July 2011:happylove

Aug 13 [STRIKE]£4235.19[/STRIKE]:eek: £2550.00 :cool:
  • DEANCPW
    Options
    I work full time, my pets are insured, but i would struggle to afford dinner out with my friends.

i have been unemployed in the past and would eat beans on toast everyday till the bills were paid.

sorry but you are to blame for not having insurance. some others are saying your friend should pay but you dont say that she has a well paid job or has a lot more money than you.
  • SINBAD_2
    SINBAD_2 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    write to the restaurant?
    a long shot, but if there is a dog loving owner....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure