Most successful MSE challenge of 2009?

Comments

• 'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
  • Dumbledore55
    Dumbledore55 Posts: 1,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OH and I are thinking of setting ourselves some challenges for next year, but there are so many to chose from! We wondered what your most successful one for 2009 had been and which you'll be doing again? It might help us figure out what to do!

I think you need to tailor your challenge to your own personal circumstances. For example, there's not much point in going for the Mortgage Free challenge if you've got credit card debts. Also what motivates you most - if you're motivated it will be so much easier for you.

Whatever you decide, good luck and follow all the simple advice on here and believe me it really works and far quicker than you would ever think.
  • Katy83
    Katy83 Posts: 531 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Definitely the NSD challenge - it really prompts you to ask, do I need it, can it wait?
    LBM 17th August 2009 Debt at LBM £18,612 Proud to be dealing with my debts.
  • Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    fab! We've signed up for the sealed pot, and are normally pretty good at nsd anyway so might just keep a tally to motivate us. DFD is about 5 years away, but really want to bring it sooner! Thanks heaps for all your comments.
  • Sassers
    Sassers Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    fayjmck wrote: »
    PAD's definitely!!!! :):) although I always forget to post mine - am I allowed to to a massive post at the end of the year??

Ooooh go on I dare you! That would be hilarious! :D:D
    Current debt and mortgage: £25, 820.35 Debt/Mortgage at start: £92,598 (27/09/2010)
    DEBT FREE!
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    I'm another believer in PADding too!

It really helped to focus me and encourage me to think about whether I really need something, or do I just want it.

But, as someone has said before, you need to tailor it to yourself. Find the challenge that works best for you.

There's no harm in trying a few different challenges. Then, if something doesn't really work for you, you can just stop. :)
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • Queen.Bess
    Queen.Bess Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    For me, the Money Neutral Gift challenge and also the £100 clothing challenge have been the most succesful.

For the gift challenge I had to make/earn enough money to cover all gifts for birthdays/Xmas this year. I kept a spreadsheet of gifts bought and money earnt and so far I've made £180+ and spent £110 ish! I also recycled presents and used clubcard/nectar points to make purchases too. I intend to do it again next year as it's been so succesful!

The £100 clothes challenge was to spend no more than £100 on clothes for the whole year. I've spent less than £25! This is through make do and mend, having clothes given to me as gifts and hand me downs from my SIL! Makes you think whether you really need that new top or boots!

Good Luck on whatever challenges you decide on!
    Official DFW Nerd Club #20 :cool: Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D DFW Long Hauler #109 :o

Slowly, Slowly = Oct '09: £30693, Aug '15: £14820. Could Be Debt Free April 2020, but hoping for sooner!
  • Queen.Bess wrote: »
    For me, the Money Neutral Gift challenge and also the £100 clothing challenge have been the most succesful.

For the gift challenge I had to make/earn enough money to cover all gifts for birthdays/Xmas this year. I kept a spreadsheet of gifts bought and money earnt and so far I've made £180+ and spent £110 ish! I also recycled presents and used clubcard/nectar points to make purchases too. I intend to do it again next year as it's been so succesful!

The £100 clothes challenge was to spend no more than £100 on clothes for the whole year. I've spent less than £25! This is through make do and mend, having clothes given to me as gifts and hand me downs from my SIL! Makes you think whether you really need that new top or boots!

Good Luck on whatever challenges you decide on!

Ooo I like the sound of the Money Neutral challeng QB, which board is it on?

Sx
    'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
  • Payment a Day - I tend to dip in and out of this thread. But it makes a massive difference when I am in. :)
    I want to be credit card and loan free by Christmas 2010
  • honeybear_2
    honeybear_2 Posts: 3,914 Forumite
    Pap has recently started to run 1 debt v 100 days which has really focussed me the most to pay off my CC debt,

I second this, along with sealed pots & PAD - I do a mixture of all 3 :o:D
    @ LBM = £15,872.65, now £10,819.82
    AF Jan = 7/? Feb = 5/14 Mar = 14/20 Apr = 6/14 May = 2/14 June 2/14 July 0/TF Aug 1/TFv Sept 6/TF Oct 4/7
    "NEVER DOUBT YOUR OWN QUALITY"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport