Probate Delays

Options

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,408 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A relative is executor of an estate and has just received the Grant today - in his case, after almost exactly two calendar months.

Fee (London Probate Registry) taken 16th June, letter from HMRC confirming IHT421 sent to Probate Registry 10th July Grant received today (15th August).

He said that he noticed that the address on the back of the envelope containing the Grant and copies was Manchester Registry so assumes his application was "farmed out".
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    A relative is executor of an estate and has just received the Grant today - in his case, after almost exactly two calendar months.

Fee (London Probate Registry) taken 16th June, letter from HMRC confirming IHT421 sent to Probate Registry 10th July Grant received today (15th August).

He said that he noticed that the address on the back of the envelope containing the Grant and copies was Manchester Registry so assumes his application was "farmed out".

Sounds like things might be improving:)
  • Lubelle94
    Options
    Kazham wrote: »
    We have been waiting for a Grant of Probate to be given by a different probate registry than London, Cardiff. We submitted our application on 9 April 2019, had a quick query on 19 June, replied same day. It has now been 18 weeks and we have still not received the Grant of Probate.

I have just found out that ours, too, is processed by Cardiff - I'd be really interested to hear when yours comes through as by date logic ours should follow a few days later!
  • dog_nanny
    Options
    "According to the Wills & Probate search site on GOV.UK"

Where do I find do this? I've searched every term I can think of on Gov.uk with no luck!
  • Robinette
    Robinette Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    erbriggs wrote: »
    "According to the Wills & Probate search site on GOV.UK"

Where do I find do this? I've searched every term I can think of on Gov.uk with no luck!

It's here - I'm checking it every day to check my mum's probate!

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    We sent one off to Oxford 13 June and have received grant of probate today (from Manchester) so, just over 2 months (9 weeks).
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • dog_nanny
    dog_nanny Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Robinette. I've checked the site ( and bookmarked it). 26 results for Briggs in 2019, but no sign of my Mother-in-law yet. The most recent death shown is 11 June. MIL only died last week.
    When it says "date of probate" does that mean the date of application or the date it's granted?
    The office we sent it to (Harlow) doesn't appear on the list. I'm not sure if that's good or bad!
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    We sent one off to Oxford 13 June and have received grant of probate today (from Manchester) so, just over 2 months (9 weeks).

Pity they spelled Executor's name incorrectly:(
  • pip895
    pip895 Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had been watching this post as was keen to understand the current timelines too. This was my experience:

25/06 Probate application submitted online and documents (will) posted
    26/06 Probate documents delivered to HMCTS Harlow
    01/07 Probate documents confirmed received
    02/07 IHT400 delivered to HMRC (calculated tax myself via simple calculation)
    05/07 Final payment of IHT made via Direct Payment Scheme
    22/07 IHT301 IHT Calculation issued (received 27/07) and presumably IHT421 forwarded by HMRC to HMCTS (I never chased this)
    04/08 Probate approved!

It did take me ~6 months to pull together everything for the IHT400 and the associated 15 schedules I needed to submit, but that's another story!

I found the online probate process really simple so would recommend anyone to use that over their local probate office. Just watch out for all of the old documentation/forms that haven't been updated to reflect this process yet...

Hope that helps someone!

Very helpful thanks. Did you submit IHT400 electronically or as a paper copy. I thought IHT400 had to be in before you could apply for probate?? - There was a question "How was the inheritance form submitted" when I tried to do it. What did you put down as the probate office on IHT421 or is that one of the forms you need to get the online compatible version of?
  • Kelda1
    Kelda1 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have now been waiting over 20 weeks live in Bristol so assuming Cardiff office. Company sorting this for us have tried chasing to no avail and so have I. Have now resorted to contacting local MP to see if they can shed any light on the situation. Have lost a buyer for the property as waiting to long. Anyone have any idea what else to try ??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback