Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TomandBarbara
    • By TomandBarbara 22nd Oct 08, 8:12 AM
    • 248Posts
    • 98Thanks
    TomandBarbara
    Beach wheelchairs
    • 22nd Oct 08, 8:12 AM
    Beach wheelchairs 22nd Oct 08 at 8:12 AM
    Hi Everyone

My father-in-law had a really bad stroke a year ago and is confined to a wheelchair with no movement to his right side and unable to walk even a few steps.

He lives just a few miles from a beach and due to no access for the disabled he is unable to get on it. We like the idea of getting him a beach wheelchair but they seem very expensive. The nearest beach wheelchair scheme is in Pembrokeshire which is miles away plus he doesn't travel well.

Any ideas on an alternative to beach wheelchairs?
Page 1
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 22nd Oct 08, 3:34 PM
    • 4,639 Posts
    • 30,511 Thanks
    allydowd
    • 22nd Oct 08, 3:34 PM
    • 22nd Oct 08, 3:34 PM
    You can get a complete list of beach wheelchair schemes from:

http://www.mobilise.info/Magazine.asp?ItemId=69

Or I guess you could buy one, use it, then sell it on?
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 150

Travel 500 Miles Free Challenge: 368/500
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • zzzLazyDaisy
    • By zzzLazyDaisy 22nd Oct 08, 3:44 PM
    • 12,134 Posts
    • 18,762 Thanks
    zzzLazyDaisy
    • 22nd Oct 08, 3:44 PM
    • 22nd Oct 08, 3:44 PM
    Have you thought about placing a 'wanted' ad in his local paper - if he lives near a beach, it is possible that someone has one that is no longer used x
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • furrytractor
    • 22nd Oct 08, 5:17 PM
    • 22nd Oct 08, 5:17 PM
    You could always try the USA. If you're buying goods for the disabled (for sole use) or for a disability charity, then you are exempt from duty and VAT. Just contact customs and excise for the forms. I bought my wheelchair and a top end racing handcycle from the states and saved a fortune, even with shipping costs. Try sportaid.com They've a few beach chairs and some good "all-terrain" chairs. I think shipping costs are about $300 for a wheelchair. Failing that you can adapt a chair to be far more beach friendly. Try fitting mountain bike tyres, the wider the better, to the rear wheels. Try getting the widest and largest diameter castor wheels you can. I've a spare chair that I've fitted with 26"x2" mountain bike tyres and 8"x2" castors from a power wheelchair. I use this chair for beachs, woodland paths and muddy music festivals.
  • how1
    • 22nd Oct 08, 8:50 PM
    • 22nd Oct 08, 8:50 PM
    Could you apply for a grant - approach local round table/ lions they may be able to fund part of the cost??
    • TomandBarbara
    • By TomandBarbara 22nd Oct 08, 9:03 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    TomandBarbara
    • 22nd Oct 08, 9:03 PM
    • 22nd Oct 08, 9:03 PM
    Gosh, thanks ever so much to everyone who has posted suggestions on this there are quite a few avenues to explore that we certainly hadn't thought of! Especially adapting a chair from furrytractor reckon my o/h could certainly put something together!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

2,922Users online

Martin's Twitter