Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    john60
    Housing benefit
    • 20th Oct 08, 10:13 AM
    Housing benefit 20th Oct 08 at 10:13 AM
    Hi all, can anybody tell me if i am being paid enough housing benefit,i finished work at 60 due to ill health i have a mortgage of 59,000 (interest only) but have been told because i remortged in 2006 i will only be paid interest on 37,000 i am on pension credit with no savings i receive 183 housing per month before the base rate cut and my mortgage is 2559interest only) per month if it is true that housing benefit is paid at 1.5% above bank of england base rate is the ammount correct----the funny thing is that somebody in the same circumstances as me down the road---- because they rent they get their full rent paid 480 per month if you have a mortgage the benefit goes down as the base rate decreases but the mortgage lenders don't lower theirs leaving mortgage holders to pay the difference,which is hard when on a fixed income thanks John
Page 1
    • zzzLazyDaisy
    • By zzzLazyDaisy 20th Oct 08, 5:44 PM
    • 12,134 Posts
    • 18,762 Thanks
    zzzLazyDaisy
    • 20th Oct 08, 5:44 PM
    • 20th Oct 08, 5:44 PM
    Hi, you might get more replies if you post your question on the Benefits Board

Regards

Daisy x
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
    • cw18
    • By cw18 21st Oct 08, 6:57 AM
    • 8,082 Posts
    • 86,085 Thanks
    cw18
    • 21st Oct 08, 6:57 AM
    • 21st Oct 08, 6:57 AM
    Mortgage Interest from the Benefits Agency is Base Rate + 1.38%

As to whether or not you can get help with the remaining 22,000, that depends on why you remortgaged. If it was to pay off other loans (or buy a car/take a holiday), then no you won't get help with it. But I believe that if you took the extra to adapt the property to make it suitable for a disability, then they can/might help with it.

When you applied for the help they should have sent you a small pamplet (green coloured as best I recall), which has all the rules in it. I was going to tell you the pamphlet number, but have just discovered mines no longer where it should be...... so will have to have a look for it later (and will post the number here if I locate it)
    Cheryl
  • jehane
    • 22nd Oct 08, 4:32 PM
    • 22nd Oct 08, 4:32 PM
    I think it's base rate + 1.58%.

And yes mortgage holders are much worse off than those that are renting its very unfair.

Was any of the remortgage for essential repairs/works to the house, in which case these should be included if you have receipts for any works.
    Last edited by jehane; 22-10-2008 at 4:37 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,234Posts Today

6,915Users online

Martin's Twitter