Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheEffect
    • By TheEffect 18th Oct 08, 4:08 PM
    • 2,249Posts
    • 1,761Thanks
    TheEffect
    Dla
    • 18th Oct 08, 4:08 PM
    Dla 18th Oct 08 at 4:08 PM
    I'm 17 and have been getting DLA since I was very young. My parents received DLA for me before I was 16, however now I receive it.

A few months ago, I received a letter telling me my DLA needed to be renewed/reviewed and I had to complete the long application.

I completed the application in one night and posted it to them. I got a letter back telling me I was going to be given LOW and LOW Rate 130/140 month. Currently I'm on LOW and MIDDLE 250 month.

I phoned them and asked why this had been lowered as I still require the same help and care I always have done (I'm partially sighted/partially blind).

They said they're just going by the information given on the form and they feel these rates are correct.

They said would I like it checked by a different person, which I said yes to. Now I've just received a letter telling me I must wait 11 weeks for a decision.

I'm just wondering how common it is for a second decision to be different from the first. Also, they mentioned I could appeal instead of the recheck... I just asked for the recheck, though would it be a good idea to send them a long letter now, or should I wait until the recheck is completed.

I'm really not happy that they've changed my rate when I still need to same care and help.

Thanks
Page 1
  • luckys mum
    • 18th Oct 08, 4:18 PM
    • 18th Oct 08, 4:18 PM
    Send a letter to your benefit office and give them as much information as possible. Point out all your disabilities and the care you require. If possible ask your GP to also send a letter supporting your claim.
    • lozzer90
    • By lozzer90 18th Oct 08, 4:41 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 8,222 Thanks
    lozzer90
    • 18th Oct 08, 4:41 PM
    • 18th Oct 08, 4:41 PM
    This happened to me last year, I went to the appeal courts & won but i have to say it took longer than 11weeks to go to the courts so i'd send them a letter & if they still say you are to get the low rate then take it to the appeals court.

Good Luck
    Start every day with a smile and get it over with.

• mouseymousey99
    • By mouseymousey99 18th Oct 08, 7:51 PM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 2,870 Thanks
    mouseymousey99
    • 18th Oct 08, 7:51 PM
    • 18th Oct 08, 7:51 PM
    Hello - this was also on the benefits board at the start of the month - so I think could be confusing people a bit. I get the idea this board is not about benefit queries.
  • Oldernotwiser
    • 18th Oct 08, 8:02 PM
    • 18th Oct 08, 8:02 PM
    Hello - this was also on the benefits board at the start of the month - so I think could be confusing people a bit. I get the idea this board is not about benefit queries.
    Originally posted by mouseymousey99
    Partucularly when you got so many knowledgeable answers the last time!
    • TheEffect
    • By TheEffect 18th Oct 08, 8:19 PM
    • 2,249 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    TheEffect
    • 18th Oct 08, 8:19 PM
    • 18th Oct 08, 8:19 PM
    I was rather asking if I should send a letter to them now or wait until the recheck has been completed. The previous thread at the start of the month is different.
    • woodbine
    • By woodbine 18th Oct 08, 8:34 PM
    • 18,323 Posts
    • 24,707 Thanks
    woodbine
    • 18th Oct 08, 8:34 PM
    • 18th Oct 08, 8:34 PM
    I was rather asking if I should send a letter to them now or wait until the recheck has been completed. The previous thread at the start of the month is different.
    Originally posted by TheEffect
    ok here goes,assuming its less than a month since the original decision,your best course of action is to ask first for a statement of reasons and then appeal,as part of the appeal process the claim will be looked at again by a diferent DM(decision maker),why the told you a review will take 11 weeks I have no idea,appeals yes reviews no.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 19th Oct 08, 8:37 AM
    • 62,704 Posts
    • 45,115 Thanks
    soolin
    • 19th Oct 08, 8:37 AM
    • 19th Oct 08, 8:37 AM
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

340Posts Today

4,568Users online

Martin's Twitter