London Congestion Charge

Options

Comments

• bread_of_heaven
    Options
    Why don't you have to pay? Does your car not produce any polutants? Or is it that blue badge holder's cars don't contribute conjestion somehow? Confused

Chippy, I feel I must reply to you as sometimes it's people's lack of understanding that cause's these issues between diabled and non-disabled. The reason badge holders don't have to pay is really very simple, the car is a necessity not a luxury, for instance i was on here asking about congestion charges as my little girl HAS to go to great ormond street, for medical reasons it is impractical for her to travel by other means and therefore is a necessity for her to be able to go in her car in comfort. I hope this explains it for you.
  • helenshappyhens
    Options
    If a person is awarded Higher rate DLA for getting around they can apply for a vehicle tax certificate from the DLA office and with this you can get a tax disc without charge.
    This applies to me. I have MS and get the higher rate. I do not have a mobility car as I prefere to have the dla money instead of It being spent on a Mobility car.
    As far as congestion charge go. If I was not disabled with MS I would and indeed have in the past parked out of central London and got puplic transport into the centre. I'm unable to do that anymore. Why they do have disabled exemption for congestion charge I dont know.

For details and form to apply for congestion charge disabled exemption look at this link.
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/congestioncharging/6736.aspx

If you do not pay vehicle duty heres the comfirmation that you do not have to pre register If you're in that same vehicle.
    http://www.visitlondon.com/travel/getting_around/congestion-charge
  • Chippie
    Chippie Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    I really can't be botherd to reply

Thanks for the reply. :D
  • Chippie
    Options
    Chippy, I feel I must reply to you as sometimes it's people's lack of understanding that cause's these issues between diabled and non-disabled. The reason badge holders don't have to pay is really very simple, the car is a necessity not a luxury, for instance i was on here asking about congestion charges as my little girl HAS to go to great ormond street, for medical reasons it is impractical for her to travel by other means and therefore is a necessity for her to be able to go in her car in comfort. I hope this explains it for you.

Hi, yes I fully understand your reasoning but if my child needed to go to GOSH and I didn't have a blue badge it would still be a necessity and I would still have to pay. It is that distinction that I find strange. I don't have an issue with blue badge holders, I only have a problem with inconsistency.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    But if your child needed to go to hospital, you would have various means of transport at your disposal to get her there. BoH does not for his/her daughter.

But the exemptions are for the other 364 days of the year. Your child would be able to walk, cycle or take take the bus to school, to go to play with friends, to see family, to go on holiday. BoH has no choice but to take hers everywhere in the car.

If you wish merely to question the principle of blue badge and other exemptions, this is not the place to do it. Write to the Prime Minister, and good luck with it.

You must see why you have been accused of 'trolling', as the definition appears to be 'posting controversial and irrelevant mesages' etc. By that defninition, I fear, you are a troll.
  • Chippie
    Options
    No need to be quite so defensive Biggles. If BoH's daughter is disabled then clearly she deserves dispensation to be allowed to travel to GOSH free from the congestion charge. I just don't see why I have to pay it to take my 7 yr old to GOSH simply because she is very ill, but not registered disabled. To be fairly applied, the exemption would need to be for to those who are attending hospital appointments who are too young or incapable of using these other forms of transport, not simply to blue badge holders. :cool:
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you really do have a very ill 7yr old who is under GOS and unable to use public transport, you would be better off over on the benefits board finding out how to get DLA for him/her so you can apply for the exemption too.

You've said your piece, and received your answers.

This board is for people to find out what exemptions and concessions they CAN get - so posting that you don't agree with this is really rather irrelevant. As someone else said, that is the definition of Trolling.

Some people on this board are kind enough to give you the benefit of the doubt, and have given you reasoned answers. If those answers are not good enough for you, then you have to take your gripes up with the powers that be - these are concessions and exemtions that people are legally entitled to, if you don't like decisions of public policy, perhaps the discussions board is the place to go.

I, for one, will not be responding to any more of your posts.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • hm71_2
    hm71_2 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    missionman wrote: »
    hello, how does the bridge free toll work, is it automatic based on your registration or do you have to show some other proof ? Thanks

Hi the dartford toll is now implamenting a new system where the tolls will automatically recognise your vehicles number plate. I was given an application form at the toll booths which I had to then send off with a copy of my vehicles V% that states it to be taxation class 'disabled' they have now sent me a card that goes in my car. At the moment I show that card until such time that the auto system is up & running.this link has the information
    http://www.dart-tag.co.uk/nossl/index.php?page=exemptscheme
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge £128/£270 balance £142
    £2 saving club £140
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Chippie ~

I'd like to think that your comments are out of ignorance on the subject rather than trying to wind these people up/trolling.

To qualify for a badge, you must receive the higher rate mobility component of DLA, this means that you must be 'suffering from physical disablement'. Your 'physical condition as a whole' must be such that:-

1. you are unable to walk
    or
    2. you are virtually unable to walk
    or
    3. the 'exertion required to walk would constitute a danger to your life or would be likely to lead to a serious deterioration in your health'.
    or
    4. you have no legs or feet (from birth or through amputation)
    or
    5. you are both deaf and blind
    or
    6. you are entitled to the higher rate care component and are severely mentally impaired with extremely disruptive and dangerous behavioural problems
    or
    7. you are switching from the pre-1976 invalid vehicle scheme and still meet those rules.

I am sure you'll find that these people have enough aggravations in life and could do some financial help.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Just to confuse the matter more, you don't have to get HRM DLA, you can get one through other means (I got one after the ss sent me to a physiotherapist for a report).
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure