Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • zzzLazyDaisy
    • By zzzLazyDaisy 18th Oct 08, 11:07 AM
    • 12,134 Posts
    • 18,762 Thanks
    zzzLazyDaisy
    Hi, I agree with this. As a retired employment lawyer, when I see the word 'disabled'

I read 'someone with a disability or chronic longterm health condition that adversely affects that person's ability to carry out day to day tasks'...

But us lawyers are a strange lot, and I can see that 'normal' people probably draw a distinction, so a sub heading making this clearer - and also that the board is for carers and family members, would be useful.

Anyone know how to make a sub heading?
  • Lakelady
    Well I like the title, it is showing a good ol` dose of british irony! My poor very disabled hubby never has any. I suppose the title could be - disability and (no) dosh.
  • foxxymynx
    But us lawyers are a strange lot,
    Originally posted by zzzLazyDaisy
    lol I'm not going to disagree!

Sub headings are in admin, you have to go t board configuration
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
  • clio2008
    I am disabled & I certainly dont have a problem with the name.
    I have other things to worry about TBH.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thank you for that cause I feel exactly the same way. As someone who has lived with a disability from childhood I have sooooooooooooooooooooooo much more to worry about than a title of a thread etc. Apart from having spent many years volunteering, I am also a qualified social worker and I STILL DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE TITLE! It is what it is or should i say it does what it says on the tin lol ok am moving on to the next thread as Id rather spend more time looking at how to save money than debating the name of a thread.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 19th Oct 08, 11:40 AM
    • 17,728 Posts
    • 31,354 Thanks
    Ames
    I think if it were a stand alone forum then the title might be a bit crass. But as it's a forum on a site called money saving expert then it's got a different context and I think it works well.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • cw18
    • By cw18 19th Oct 08, 12:54 PM
    • 8,082 Posts
    • 86,084 Thanks
    cw18
    As a retired employment lawyer, when I see the word 'disabled'

I read 'someone with a disability or chronic longterm health condition that adversely affects that person's ability to carry out day to day tasks'...

But us lawyers are a strange lot, and I can see that 'normal' people probably draw a distinction............
    sorry, but I've heard that said of lawyers before

Until March 2007 I was a "normal" person, and "disabled" to me generally meant something visible -- though I accepted there were conditions less visible at a quick glance at someone (such as deafness) and those that weren't necessarily visible even after spending time with a person (such as brittle bone)

But (based on how others around me react to some people/situations) I suspect my very basic acceptance of less noticeable conditions is in the main 'cos I have a back condition that can leave me pretty immobile for a couple of days at a time -- but which apparently isn't bad enough (or not bad enough for long enough) for it to be formally classed as a "disability".

It wasn't until March 2007 I discovered that other things (such as the cancer my DH was diagnosed with in January 2007) are also officially classed as a disability even though he's not (yet) confined to a wheelchair

I really wish I'd previously been aware of other illnesses that count -- though I hope I've never been insensitive to anyone with any type of condition that impacts on their lifestyle (whether or not they're registered disabled).

As such, I guess I'm another who believes the use of "disablility" in the title is vague -- but I can't for the life of me think of anything better (even if they were looking to change it), and those of us who are mostly likely to get something from this board should (I hope) all be reading it in the wider context anyway
    Cheryl
    • zzzLazyDaisy
    • By zzzLazyDaisy 19th Oct 08, 2:24 PM
    • 12,134 Posts
    • 18,762 Thanks
    zzzLazyDaisy
    sorry, but I've heard that said of lawyers before

Until March 2007 I was a "normal" person, and "disabled" to me generally meant something visible --
    Originally posted by cw18
    Can I just jump in and clarify something here (anxious not to cause offence to anyone)

when I said 'normal' I meant 'non-lawyer' not 'not disabled'

<slinks off, having irritated half the board members and confused the other half >
    • cw18
    • By cw18 19th Oct 08, 5:45 PM
    • 8,082 Posts
    • 86,084 Thanks
    cw18
    My fault for wording my reply badly, as that was the way I'd read 'normal'
    What I meant to say was....

Until March 2007 I was a "normal" person to whom "disabled" generally meant something visible

but I'm not sure that's much clearer

Probably better to just say

Until March 2007 "disabled" to me generally meant something visible
    Cheryl
    • colin13
    • By colin13 20th Oct 08, 9:00 AM
    • 986 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    colin13
    Can I just jump in and clarify something here (anxious not to cause offence to anyone)

<slinks off, having irritated half the board members and confused the other half >
    typicall lawyer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,418Posts Today

7,803Users online

Martin's Twitter