Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • marleyboy
    • By marleyboy 16th Oct 08, 10:15 AM
    • 14,803 Posts
    • 28,739 Thanks
    marleyboy
    • 16th Oct 08, 10:15 AM
    • 16th Oct 08, 10:15 AM
    I think the title had the same problem as you have with your user name, nobody could think of a name and the title couldn't be agreed with so went out onto a public debate, the most popular of which was the title it ended up with.
    1+1+1=1
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • foxxymynx
    • 16th Oct 08, 10:56 AM
    • 16th Oct 08, 10:56 AM
    why were you annoyed? It's about money saving specific to people with disabilities and long term illnesses - there's things that those people need to buy etc etc that are specific to their conditions that someone who isn't disabled wouldn't
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
    • Nile
    • By Nile 16th Oct 08, 11:51 AM
    • 14,430 Posts
    • 14,400 Thanks
    Nile
    • 16th Oct 08, 11:51 AM
    • 16th Oct 08, 11:51 AM
    What's the idea behind this title with "Dosh" in it? When I first saw it in the forums list to say the least I was confused and then somewhat annoyed.
    Originally posted by cantthinkofanickname
    The board has been set up to help people, I'm sure it wasn't the intention to annoy anyone.

Why don't you tell us your suggestion for a board name?

Regards

Nile
    • hm71
    • By hm71 16th Oct 08, 11:56 AM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 2,685 Thanks
    hm71
    • 16th Oct 08, 11:56 AM
    • 16th Oct 08, 11:56 AM
    I was one of the 'public' voters who liked 'dosh & disability' for the reasons stated in the original thread, I found it amusing. I don't see anything to be annoyed about- dosh is a coloquial version of money & disability speaks for itself. so the threads within this board are to highlight assitance- things that may be of interest to those with a special need.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge 128/270 balance 142
    2 saving club 140
    • zzzLazyDaisy
    • By zzzLazyDaisy 16th Oct 08, 12:11 PM
    • 12,134 Posts
    • 18,762 Thanks
    zzzLazyDaisy
    • 16th Oct 08, 12:11 PM
    • 16th Oct 08, 12:11 PM
    I liked 'Dosh & Disability' I thought it was amusing and we all need a sense of humour to cope with what life throws at us.

I'm not so keen since the name was swapped round, somehow 'Disability & Dosh' just doesn't have the same ring, and kinda makes us sound like scroungers...... or is that just me??
  • kevsam65
    • 16th Oct 08, 1:24 PM
    • 16th Oct 08, 1:24 PM
    What's the idea behind this title with "Dosh" in it? When I first saw it in the forums list to say the least I was confused and then somewhat annoyed.
    Originally posted by cantthinkofanickname

Wondered how long it would be.:confused:

sam.x
    • savingforarainyday
    • By savingforarainyday 16th Oct 08, 1:25 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 3,716 Thanks
    savingforarainyday
    • 16th Oct 08, 1:25 PM
    • 16th Oct 08, 1:25 PM
    Hi, I have just been lurking around for a bit, and this title thing has run a bit. I liked "Dosh and Disability". It has a ring to it and I think the otherway around it puts disability out there like a big badge, that maybe not everyone is confortable with.

People are always going to have "an opinion" about benefits for people with disabilities and their carers, but I for one don't care if people get insulting I am just not interested now, it is their problem not mine. I am too busy.

At the end of the day "Dosh" money is important to all of us, or we wouldn't be here, so I don't see why as a group we should be any more or less sensitive about the title than anyone else..

• septemberblues
    • By septemberblues 16th Oct 08, 4:11 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 3,456 Thanks
    septemberblues
    • 16th Oct 08, 4:11 PM
    • 16th Oct 08, 4:11 PM
    I think "Disability and Dosh" is a great name, disability needs to be first if someone uses a search engine, and I'm really pleased to come on here today and see all the new threads!

Long live Disability and Dosh
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets
    • zzzLazyDaisy
    • By zzzLazyDaisy 16th Oct 08, 5:37 PM
    • 12,134 Posts
    • 18,762 Thanks
    zzzLazyDaisy
    The important thing is that there is now somewhere that people with disabilities and chronic illnesses - and their carers and families - can go to share information about moneysaving issues.

The name is just a bit of tongue in cheek fun... so flex your smile muscles and come and join us
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Oct 08, 6:43 PM
    • 67,016 Posts
    • 303,385 Thanks
    beanielou
    I am disabled & I certainly dont have a problem with the name.
    I have other things to worry about TBH.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 17 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • cantthinkofanickname
    Ok, I stand corrected. In my line of work/volunteering I have to consider disabilities. When I first looked at it I had the sense of "Disability (is) Dosh" and then reread and still did not really like the title. But anyway. . . All the best with this forum.
    --------------------
    Thanks for your time.
  • bails
    sorry to laugh and no offence intended OP, but I thought you'd misread it as 'Disability and Doss', as in 'to doss around doing nothing'! I'm with Beanie and others, there are more important things to worry about, and if it went to a public vote, then there's democracy at its best TBH, if I worried about what's in a name (noone can even agree on what my disability's called), I'd never recover/manage my condition All I care about is being as well as possible, and this board will certainly help us all in that
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016

500/30,000
    1.67%
  • LittleTinker
    I understand what the OP means.....when you read the title you get the feeling that someone is telling you that being disabled means getting your hands on dosh.

We have Money Saving Old Style.....why couldnt we have something similar? Money Matters Disabled Style?

There is something a bit 'greedy' in the title as it is although I know that that isnt intentional.
  • ben500
    Whilst I understand that the title has a nice ring to it, rolls off the tongue so to speak, I think the problem is the perception. For those not familiar with the purpose of the board it can look a little disconcerting and perhaps misleading.
    • hm71
    • By hm71 17th Oct 08, 12:04 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 2,685 Thanks
    hm71
    I think the problem is that the orginal suggestion was the other way round and so had amore humourous conitation. the title as is doesn't carry that same ring but I still like it. It has to cover a multitude of topics not all necessarily relating to money (dosh) and so thats why I like it.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

2 saving club 140
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 17th Oct 08, 3:04 PM
    • 18,400 Posts
    • 114,190 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    Don't have any problem with the headline name, but can we please have a sub heading?

Something along the lines of "The place to visit for moneysavers with disabilities or chronic/long-term illnesses and their carers".

I'm just concerned that there already seems to be an under-representation of those with chronic and long-term illnesses such as cancer and its important that this is a forum for everyone with all of these types of problem and their carers.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • maytaurus
    • By maytaurus 17th Oct 08, 3:55 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 7,795 Thanks
    maytaurus
    Disability money topics are not solely about claiming benefits /money
    The person with a disability and their family /carers have numerous situations in which their finances are affected
    This thread is for everyone concerned with all costs & expenses involved in being disabled or involved in any way with disability issues
    Income
    Expenditure
    Best deals for disability equipment and aids of all types,
    special dietary needs ,travel and all money saving information etc etc
    The list is endless really and hopefully the opportunity to place all advice,experience and helpful information in one place on MSE will be a great help to everyone affected by these issues
    RE;
    cantthinkofanickname
    Quote‘’In my line of work/volunteering I have to consider disabilities’’
    I am surprised then, that it would seem you are one of the people who see anything to do with help for those with disabilities/serious illness etc and automatically think MONEY/BENEFITS,
    when it is of course a far more complicated and demanding issue
    • Horace
    • By Horace 17th Oct 08, 4:28 PM
    • 14,111 Posts
    • 24,783 Thanks
    Horace
    There is nothing wrong with the name Disability & Dosh at all. I know that its a place that I can come to discuss my disability and maybe find out where I could possibly get a grant or whatever.

Mr Icantthink...I find your comments rather offensive, I am disabled and proud of it, as for claiming benefits well that is wrong, I cannot get DLA and there are a lot of us out there that can't and I am certainly not begrudging those that do. I am guessing that you don't have a disability and you are one of those employers who pay lip service to those with disabilities

If you don't like this board then fine, do us a favour and go onto one of the other boards, I have heard that DFW is good this time of year or any time of year for that matter!

You really have made my blood boil.
    Semper in faeces profundum variat

Make 5 a day challenge Oct 2014 126.00/155
    Make 5 a day challenge Nov 2014 157.40/150
    Make 10 a day challenge Dec 2014 392.90/310
    • hm71
    • By hm71 17th Oct 08, 5:55 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 2,685 Thanks
    hm71
    Don't have any problem with the headline name, but can we please have a sub heading?

Something along the lines of "The place to visit for moneysavers with disabilities or chronic/long-term illnesses and their carers".

I'm just concerned that there already seems to be an under-representation of those with chronic and long-term illnesses such as cancer and its important that this is a forum for everyone with all of these types of problem and their carers.
    Originally posted by vivatifosi
    Hi vivatifosi, I was a little concerned about this bit- in fairness the board has only been running a couple of days and so it may take time for posters to get used to the board and post threads accordingly.

2 saving club 140
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,510Posts Today

5,526Users online

Martin's Twitter