Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • icecoolbabe
    • By icecoolbabe 15th Oct 08, 4:41 PM
    • 1,330Posts
    • 706Thanks
    icecoolbabe
    Finding footwear
    • 15th Oct 08, 4:41 PM
    Finding footwear 15th Oct 08 at 4:41 PM
    The following leaflet from the Disability Living Foundation may be of assistance to anyone trying to source footwear for 'non standard' or awkward feet.

http://www.dlf.org.uk/factsheets/pdf/Finding_Suitable_Footwear.pdf

I am trying to find some slippers for my mum. Over the years we have gone thru all the usual velcro slippers but due to one foot being very swollen and the ankle being at a slightly awkward angle they keep slipping off and there is never enough velcro is provided on the slippers to cover swollen feet. (I tried handstitching some extra velcro on as I don't have a sewing machine but it didn't last very long).

Although many retailers advertise footwear for swollen feet as wide fitting, it's still hard to find slippers that will actually stay on.

As for shoes - we don't even bother as much of what may be available has to be via mail order which involves lots of posting fees.
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Page 1
    • zzzLazyDaisy
    • By zzzLazyDaisy 15th Oct 08, 5:17 PM
    • 12,134 Posts
    • 18,762 Thanks
    zzzLazyDaisy
    • 15th Oct 08, 5:17 PM
    • 15th Oct 08, 5:17 PM
    Remember also that slippers and shoes that are adapted for disabled people may be VAT exempt. It is worth making the enquiry as special footwear can be horrendously expensive compared to what is available in the shops for non-disabled people
  • harlequin
    • 21st Oct 08, 10:17 PM
    footware
    • 21st Oct 08, 10:17 PM
    I have lymphoedema and this company looks very good for footware..
    Cosyfeet
    www.cosyfeet.com

They also give prices with and without VAT and have a specific system to register to not pay VAT
  • susiesue
    • 21st Oct 08, 10:41 PM
    • 21st Oct 08, 10:41 PM
    cosy feet are a very good company as are the hotter brand. hotter do a range of width fitting shoes and are a bit more fashionable than cosy feet which is designed for feet with oedema/swelling or deformity. but both of these companies are mail order. free returns and p&p with hotter
    though

http://http://www.hottershoes.com/HotterSite/pages/home/default.asp
    susiesue
    Julius Caesar, and the roman empire, couldn't conquer the blue sky

• Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 21st Oct 08, 10:53 PM
    • 31,553 Posts
    • 80,895 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 21st Oct 08, 10:53 PM
    • 21st Oct 08, 10:53 PM
    I am trying to find some slippers for my mum. Over the years we have gone thru all the usual velcro slippers but due to one foot being very swollen and the ankle being at a slightly awkward angle they keep slipping off and there is never enough velcro is provided on the slippers to cover swollen feet.
    Originally posted by icecoolbabe
    Cosyfeet do extension pieces for some of their styles which can help with the very swollen foot.

Have you looked in local disabled shops - some carry a small range of Cosyfeet shoes. It's much nicer if you can try them on before buying.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

125Posts Today

1,643Users online

Martin's Twitter