cheapest return train ticket leeds to Kings Cross

Hi all I am so excited I have got 2 tickets for Live at the Apollo at the Hammersmith Apollo starting at 1 pm on 11 September. We would be returning to Leeds the same day probably 7 or 8 pm.

It's so long since I have travelled to London by train and that was using a family railcard and used to get some really cheap fares.

As this is relatively late notice, please which are the best websites to look on or are there any tips I could follow.

My OH has a senior railcard. many thanks

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi,

have a look here, might help.
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,873
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    looks like it's going to be well over£100 for the two of us so the free tickets will have to go back!
  • National Express coaches. It's a long journey, but cheap

LEEDS Coach Station, Dyer Street to LONDON VICTORIA Coach Station
    Wed 11 Sep 2019 5h 15m dep 06:15 arr 11:30 Direct
    LONDON VICTORIA Coach Station to LEEDS Coach Station, Dyer Street
    Wed 11 Sep 2019 4h 20m dep 20:00 arr 00:20 Direct

For two seniors 60+, restricted fare (no change or refund) £10 each + £1 booking fee (£21 total). £5 in Tesco Clubcard vouchers = £15 to spend at National Express.

Best train deal I can see at the moment totals £112.05.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've been to a couple of recordings of LATA. Expect to finish far, far later than the time on the invite.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,244
    Forumite
    melb wrote: »
    looks like it's going to be well over£100 for the two of us so the free tickets will have to go back!

That would be sad... why not stay overnight and make a weekend away of it, and choose a cheap Advance fare on the Sunday.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,671
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    melb wrote: »

In that case you may well save a bit of money by buying a 'two together' railcard that'll give you a third off off peak fares. even if you just use it the once. If you have a Tesco clubcard, I think you can get one for around £10-£15 of Tesco clubcard vouchers
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,873
    Forumite
    thanks all for your very helpful replies - and thanks for the tip about the finishing time. It says approx 4.00 pm but does warn it could be later. 12 September is a Thursday I think so don't think we'd be able to get a cheap hotel midweek. Will have another look at the possibilities but i think the coach would be a step too far lol!
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,325
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The best fare I can see on trainsplit is about £80 there and back for both, assuming both have Railcard, but then there’s the cost of the additional Railcard to factor in. That’s still a good price, £20 per person each way, but tough if it’s too much for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure