Free multiple entry comps

I don't understand why they have competitions with multiple entries, typically radio stations. If they're free to enter and they only ask for limited questions (typically name/number) they're not gaining anything by getting the same thing sent repeatedly.

Just plays into hands of professional compers with time and email addresses on their hands, which is great for many on here, I just don't know how the company benefit. I'd presume they'd rather stuff not be won by pro's
2015 Wins: Nowt
2016 Wins: Nowt...again
2017 Wins: £50....HALLELUJAH
2018 Wins: 2 Tickets for Doncaster Rovers :rotfl:
2019 Wins: Nowt again (I must be doing something wrong)
2020 Wins: Absolute Radio (Baked beans, Clubcard plus membership, bags of crisps, Google nest and an Ipad Pro)

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Jemmo1 wrote: »
    I don't understand why they have competitions with multiple entries, typically radio stations. If they're free to enter and they only ask for limited questions (typically name/number) they're not gaining anything by getting the same thing sent repeatedly.

Just plays into hands of professional compers with time and email addresses on their hands, which is great for many on here, I just don't know how the company benefit. I'd presume they'd rather stuff not be won by pro's

If there is a paid entry route as well (ITV, radio stations etc) then they get all the money from paid multiple entries - several years ago ITV were getting 40,000,000 paid entries a year.

If all entries are free then they gain from the website hits which makes the sites appear more popular and can increase website revenue.

Generally makes no difference to the sites who wins whether it's a paid or free entry.
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It's all about advertising revenue, specifically as mjm mentioned above but they can also say "Our competition had over a million entries" or "We ran a promotion for Samsung which had over a million views" to potential future prize providers / sponsors / advertisers, enabling them to get better / more frequent sponsors / prizes which in turn gets more traffic to the site and more people looking at their adverts / sponsored products, which gets them more revenue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure