Double glazing sales job smells fishy

Comments

• 21flames
    21flames Posts: 44 Forumite
    If you go in with that attitude, you will fail. Sorry.

I can go in positive, it just sounds to good to be true that they are promising all these leads and that I can make all this money.

I suppose if the customer already knows they are going to be given a buy now price they will be expecting you to push for the sale.

Perhaps they will surprise me, perhaps I will fail, we will see.
  • dmliverpool
    dmliverpool Posts: 384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    dseventy wrote: »
    Given this will be your only "job" it will be hard to argue that you are "self employed".

I did Double glazing for a few years "back in the day" and did very well out of it.

We did not do the "today price" crap or pushy. I measured up and sent a written quote through days later. Customers much prefered this, we also let people bring in measurements.

I made quite a lot of money. I was responsible though for mis-measures or order issues (like ordering a red door instead of a white one), that was the only downside.

D70

Agreed. They are only doing it as self employed so they can end your services once you slow down with the suggestive bullying salesman tactics they use.
    The harder one works the luckier one gets!
  • 21flames
    but after reading on the hmrc web page that was posted it is clear that I shouldn't be self employed.

Should I discuss this and ask to be on the books?
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    They are looking for "one call closers" and you will most likely find that the basic is deducted from any commision paid. If you are not the type to be very very pushy and virtually refuse to leave someones home unless they give you an order, then it will not work out for you. All depends how thick skinned you are.
    Having said that, if you are good you can earn very good money.
  • 21flames
    First day went well, already learnt how you set it up before you quote, sure there are lots more persuasive techniques to learn, going out on leads with the manager tomorrow, so will see how it goes.

How could they take my basic out of my commission?

They say that when I'm trained, if I come off the basic the comm rate will double.
  • ILW
    Good luck

Did it myself for around 5 years and you can earn well.

Just get used to not listeneing when a punter says "no" or "we need to think about it".
  • miss_duke
    miss_duke Posts: 140 Forumite
    Glad to hear that the first day went well. Hope it continues to go well for you.
  • dibuzz
    dibuzz Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    At least it doesn't sound like the company my son tried. It all sounded ok until the first day when all the new lads were taken aside and given instructions ending in "oh by the way you have to buy your own samples" The samples were over £700. Needless to say he didn't go back.
    14 Projects in 2014 - in memory of Soulie - 2/14
  • 21flames
    Thanks people

Going to take a while to learn how to price everything up, the windows seem simple enough.

He said I can go out on my own after going with him a few times........I don't think I will be ready then.

So when a punter says no just keep talking/ offering?
  • ILW
    21flames wrote: »
    Thanks people

Going to take a while to learn how to price everything up, the windows seem simple enough.

He said I can go out on my own after going with him a few times........I don't think I will be ready then.

So when a punter says no just keep talking/ offering?

They will train you in this, when a punter says no you have to find out why they said no and overcome the objection.

They need to say no at least eight times before you accept it.

You may find it quite fun if you do not have too much pressure on you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure