Barnstaple area visiting suggestions, anyone?

Have thrown a dart at the map and we're off to Barnstaple in a couple of weeks for a weekend break.

We're totally unfamiliar with the area but would appreciate any suggestions for places of interest to visit, particularly indoorsy-type venues given possible end-Feb weather!

A couple in 60's, no kids (thank God!).

Any ideas, very grateful.

Comments

• It's not a usual 'weekend break' destination but I'm sure you'll have a good time.

What to do....if you like walking the Heddon Valley is beautiful. There is an out of town shopping area Atlantic Highway (which is not worth venturing to on it's own but fine as a stop by/on the way type venue). Clovelly isn't far away and is worth a visit. The estuary is pretty and the old castle (Castle Mound) are pretty much the only landmarks I can think of. The town itself has a good range of shops and anywhere with water (sea/river/canal) lends itself to some pleasant time killing.

If you aren't tied to the destination, there are prettier/better/much more interesting places in Devon/North Cornwall to visit.
  • Alan_Cross
    Alan_Cross Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    It's not a usual 'weekend break' destination but I'm sure you'll have a good time.

What to do....if you like walking the Heddon Valley is beautiful. There is an out of town shopping area Atlantic Highway (which is not worth venturing to on it's own but fine as a stop by/on the way type venue). Clovelly isn't far away and is worth a visit. The estuary is pretty and the old castle (Castle Mound) are pretty much the only landmarks I can think of. The town itself has a good range of shops and anywhere with water (sea/river/canal) lends itself to some pleasant time killing.

If you aren't tied to the destination, there are prettier/better/much more interesting places in Devon/North Cornwall to visit.

It's more as a base for operations. I'm aware that driving another hour would get us to better scenery but the journey will already have been a long one and this is only for a couple of days.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,257
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It's not a usual 'weekend break' destination but I'm sure you'll have a good time.

Agree with this. Barnstaple itself is not very exciting/touristy, we go there for shopping, petrol etc. Bideford, just down the road, is more interesting. If it rains, the shopping village, just outside Bideford is called Atlantic Village and has a few outlet shops.

Clovelly is nice but you have to be fit to walk down the Main Street. You can get a land rover back up but I don’t think it runs this time of year. If you fancy going a bit further then Tintagel is great.

If you go north from Barnstaple the coast is lovely, places like Croyde and Woolacombe. Directly East takes you to Exmoor which is lovely to drive across if it doesn’t rain. It’s less bleak than Dartmoor and a bit quieter.

Unfortunately it has been a bit wet down here recently:(. Bring raincoats and umbrella, you never know, the sun may shine.

Have a lovely time
  • Alan_Cross
    Alan_Cross Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Many thanks for the various thoughts.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You're not a million miles from Porlock Weir or Lynmouth and the Cliff Railway.

Last time we were in that direction we had a fantastic time exploring the Hartland area that we missed out on Clovelly. As we had membership it was a nice drive down to Tintagel Castle.
    The man without a signature.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,985
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 15 February 2018 at 7:18PM
    Boscastle is worth a visit, the Church of St Julitta was restored by Thomas Hardy he stayed in the Rectory and he met and married his wife, the Rectors daughter whilst there. The Rectory is still in the same family and is a very nice B&B. They have lots of Hardy memorabilia.
  • 166million
    166million Posts: 1,233
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I like Great Torrington
    A few museums etc in the vicinity
    Traffic can get quite bad around Barnstaple ( might have improved since I went last)
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • Boscastle is worth a visit, the Church of St Julitta was restored by Thomas Hardy and he met and married his wife, the Rectors daughter whilst there.

Tis a good drive - maybe 90 minutes....
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,257
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    166million wrote: »
    I like Great Torrington
    A few museums etc in the vicinity
    Traffic can get quite bad around Barnstaple ( might have improved since I went last)

Probably not :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport