PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council House Purchase - help

Hi, I'm hoping someone can advise on if this is possible:

My mum has lived in her council house her entire life. she's now decided she would like to purchase it.

She only works part time so she's doubtful with her age and income that she won't be able to get a mortgage. She has been told she can put someone else on with her.

She has asked myself. My issue is I already own a house. Would this be classed as a second house and all the fees and costs associated with that?
‘It ain’t over 'til it's over’

Comments

• mrschaucer
    mrschaucer Posts: 953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You already own one house. This would be your second. Extra SDLT would apply, plus CGT eventually. Why does she want to buy it?
  • she wants to buy it as the mortgage payments would actually be less than what she pays now (plus it would be hers)
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    she wants to buy it as the mortgage payments would actually be less than what she pays now (plus it would be hers)
    Ok, but - how is she going to be able to afford repairs maintenance on the house? If she only works part time and has a low income what would she do if some thing major needs doing?
  • Barejester
    Barejester Posts: 27 Forumite
    Hi Charlesworth82, as to your specific question yes you'll attract the tax and fees associated with a second property if your interest in the property is greater than £40,000

However, you should consider a serious conversation with your Mum about this - my Mum was in a situation which sounds fairly similar to yours recently in that she was keen to purchase her council house for the same reason you've listed above, because she wanted to own and the discount would be very attractive. I actually came here to ask for advice in talking her OUT of that decision.

You've already acknowledged that your Mum is on a low income and that wouldn't be able to get a mortgage by herself - at present, the council are responsible for repairs that need doing to the house and she has lifetime security, where as if your Mum was to be an owner, could she afford the costs that come with ownership? A new boiler as an example can be a few thousand pounds easily.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    she wants to buy it as the mortgage payments would actually be less than what she pays now (plus it would be hers)

Does she get any Housing Benefit to help with the rent?
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    OP in my area, you cannot just put someone else on with you, they have to live there, and proof of this must be provided going back 12 months. It may not be like that in your area though
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In many councils you can only get the right to buy if you are a tenant. So you don't have the right to buy this house which means that you can't get a mortgage to buy it. The only person who can buy it is your mother and she can't afford it. There is actually no benefit to her in owning it and a lot of risks.
  • Cakeguts wrote: »
    In many councils you can only get the right to buy if you are a tenant. So you don't have the right to buy this house which means that you can't get a mortgage to buy it. The only person who can buy it is your mother and she can't afford it. There is actually no benefit to her in owning it and a lot of risks.

She's spoken to them and can put a non-tenant on.

The main benefit for her is she would buy a house for around 40% of the value - and also pay less a month. The risks would be if things go wrong in the house but I would pay for that if need be.
  • The value of the house isn't relevant; what's important is that your mum has a secure tenancy and doesn't have to worry about maintenance costs. There is a lot to be said for that peace of mind when you're on a low income. You can't guarantee that the mortgage will always be lower than the current rent, especially given the financial uncertainty facing the country.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Mojisola wrote: »
    Does she get any Housing Benefit to help with the rent?

No - she covers it all herself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family