Wife doesnt like my mother for no real reason

Options
First of all my name is Sanyo and I wanna say hi! Since is my first post(And a long one) I really appreciate the help and advice that everyone could give.

My wife and I have been married for little more then a year, we are not from the same country. I met her when she was working in Hong Kong, she is from Japan and she is great, very caring, we get along well and we both love each other. Since young I have been really tight with my family, we immigrate to Canada together when my sister and I were young and when sis and I decided to work in Hong Kong because of the better Jobs offered, my parents also came back to be close to us. Basically in our family we don't have any secrets, and especially with mom we are really like good friends.

I respect my wife a lot, and I am the kind of person who doesn't like to give out rules as long you can be happy, I am happy. So whatever my wife wanted I try my hardest to give it to her and solve any problem ahead. Me and my wife lived together for a year before we decided to get married, she also wanted to quit her job because she wants rest up her body because we might be planning to have a baby. I was fine with everything, even at the moment she wanted to take that break, financially it was abit risky for me to take all the burden. Still without hesistation I said ok. I worked harder find ways to make money and half a year into our marriage I got a big break, so financially I am ready to have our first baby.

The problems lies here, her personality seems to change quite a bit after marriage. I admit I am a messy person, sometimes when I get home I just like to put things everywhere at home. So she would complain about that a lot and emotionally be very upset, also things like after using the toilet please cover the toilet seat. I am ok to let me know but no need to be so emotionally upset over it, but anyhow I wanted to try to make her happy so I change myself and basically now 90% of those things I do to her standards. (which I tell myself it is also for my own good)

Basically all the marriage get along relationship problem I could solve, except this one problem that has really bother her now, me being close to my family, especially my mother. She doesn't like me to talk to my mom and parents that much. Like even how much I make, only she should know. Since now my workbase is in China, I am no longer close to my family. Once in awhile my mom miss me a lot so I would webcam phone chat with her about once a week, maybe 20 mins time. But she has been really irritated by it, at one point she got so angry and slam the door really hard while going to her room. I mean, we already don't have to live in the same house, and I never force you live together with my family. She also finds it very weird and tell me you are disgusting when my mom once in awhile text me say "Hi, how are you, what did you do today" She would then explain to me that she never does that, her parents never does that, man in japan they don't do that. Well guess what she should of chosen a Japanese men to begin with, but I feel now she is trying to change me.

This part I cannot change, because I love my family greatly, they put so much heart into us since young and I don't like it when I hear people say bad things about them especially my wife. But the funny thing is my parents have nothing against her, and my parents think she is great and that she love them a lot, that's the biggest problem. So now I basically don't know what to do, I have talked about this topic with her too many times, I even ask her to talk to her friends(problem is she doesn't have many friends) and family but refuse to do so and she keeps a lot of things inside herself, but only shares with me and for me to solve it. This problem for me I cannot raise to my family as well cuz I don't want to break the relationship between my wife and my parents.

Any advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated! To make things worst since we are planning to have baby, she wants to have it born in Japan. Which is fine since I know is hard for a women so maybe she want to choose a hospital she is comfortable with and be close to her family. But we discussed the topic of the kid growing up, she also wants to move back to Japan and raise him in local school. We still have yet to comply with that and now I am having thoughts should we really be having a baby, will she let the baby see my parents, is realty stressful for me thinking about it. Also before marriage I talked about going back to Canada in the future if we decide to have kids, she was ok before but now she is really disgusted by that idea. I think is because she is worry if going there my parents will also be there! Like !!!!!! we don't have to live in the same house even in the same city is not allowed?

Help me out

Comments

• Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    Why are you planning a baby with someone who clearly dislikes you and your family intensely? Don't have a baby with her thinking it'll change her - if anything her abuse of you will get far worse after you've had a baby.

You're being relentlessly abused and should seek help.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you speak Japanese? Living in Japan might prove difficult if you can't.
  • WibblyGirly
    WibblyGirly Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    So she doesn't have a job right now? Is she poorly? Why does she need to 'rest up her body' to have a baby? She sounds manipulative and you jump as high as she tells you. I really don't think you should have a child until your relationship is one of equals. You need to talk things through, possibly more than others as there appears to be a clash of cultural expectations.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It just possibly might be that she's lonely, having given up work and not being close to her own family. Sounds as though she's jealous of your good relationship with yours. You should on no account change your own plans for your future - she married you knowing them. Whether your future also includes her only time will tell but certainly don't even contemplate bringing a child into the world until the other matters are sorted out.
  • sanyo1981
    Options
    No she isn't poor, this part we agreed on so it isn't a problem. Since we live by ourselves, problems comes and goes, when I really want to talk deep into this parents problem, there is always no conclusion......

To put in other words, how to get a person to get help when she doesn't think she has any problem at all, I am willing to go get the help together but she will always just say this is only between us..
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sanyo1981 wrote: »
    To put in other words, how to get a person to get help when she doesn't think she has any problem at all, I am willing to go get the help together but she will always just say this is only between us..

You can't. Someone has to see a need to change and want to change before anything can happen.

Please don't bring a child into this disfunctional relationship. :(
  • goodwithsaving
    goodwithsaving Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cultural? What is your background? You say you emigrated to Canada.
    Should this not have been discussed before marriage? Either way, she sounds lazy with the resting the body excuse for giving up work but we are only getting one side.
  • sanyo1981
    sanyo1981 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    The main problem is the cultural difference, since our family is from Hong Kong. That is why many things I don't blame her and understand why she would feel upset. Not working is not consider to be lazy, many Japanese girl when they get marry they stop working. Which I am fine with as well, but i just feel now she is trying ways to separate me from my family that's what is bothering me
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sanyo1981 wrote: »
    No she isn't poor, this part we agreed on so it isn't a problem. Since we live by ourselves, problems comes and goes, when I really want to talk deep into this parents problem, there is always no conclusion......

I don't think this is a 'getting help' situation. It sounds like you think she needs a counsellor or a psychiatrist or some such.

It just sounds to me like there are differences between you and you need to work on your relationship. If any 'getting help' is needed it would be for the two of you together so that perhaps a mediator/counsellor could help you to discuss the issues. The differences may be cultural or just different personalities. Whatever it is I agree that you definitely shouldn't have a child until you are happy as a couple.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Diary wrote: »
    Why are you planning a baby with someone who clearly dislikes you and your family intensely? Don't have a baby with her thinking it'll change her - if anything her abuse of you will get far worse after you've had a baby.

You're being relentlessly abused and should seek help.

I agree with this if what you have said is true, but we only have your side of the story.

My friend who is a very sensible, professional woman split up with her boyfriend because he was so close to his brother. She felt that her bf would not put her first.

How close are you to your family? If your wife is not close to her family then it can be very difficult for her.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure