Flight delay compensation, US and Canadian Airlines

Comments

• rebecca1
    rebecca1 Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was delayed for 9 hours last week on a flight from Chicago to Heathrow.
    My Insurance company won't pay out until the delay is 12 hours. Anyone know if I can claim delay compensation directly from American Airlines?

Thanks Rebecca
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    rebecca1 wrote: »
    I was delayed for 9 hours last week on a flight from Chicago to Heathrow.
    My Insurance company won't pay out until the delay is 12 hours. Anyone know if I can claim delay compensation directly from American Airlines?

Thanks Rebecca

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4896454
  • rebecca1
    rebecca1 Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Vauban - thanks for the link. After reading this it looks kike I can make no claim under the new EU ruling.
    However, I wondered if anyone had made a successful claim from American Airlines. I am not sure of what rules you can claim under in the USA.

Thanks
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    rebecca1 wrote: »
    Vauban - thanks for the link. After reading this it looks kike I can make no claim under the new EU ruling.
    However, I wondered if anyone had made a successful claim from American Airlines. I am not sure of what rules you can claim under in the USA.

I don't believe there is a US equivalent that would compensate you. You could write them a letter and they may give you some airmiles or a token of money off a future flight but you equally just may get a response saying sorry
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    I don't believe there is a US equivalent that would compensate you. You could write them a letter and they may give you some airmiles or a token of money off a future flight but you equally just may get a response saying sorry

Yes, this ^^^^^

Flying ex-non EU with a non EU carrier, there's no cover from EU regs
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes, this ^^^^^

Flying ex-non EU with a non EU carrier, there's no cover from EU regs

Next time, take Air France.
  • APeterW
    APeterW Posts: 2 Newbie
    Does anybody have a UK postal address for American Airlines. Even an email address for customer services would help. Their help line was unable to provide one.

Thanks
  • shell69_2
    shell69_2 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Hi,

I've read lots of the FAQs but can't seem to find my answer. My United flight was delayed in April from Heathrow to JFK for 7 hours - 3 different excuses given - weather and potholes on runway by groundstaff and staff rotas (number of hours allowed to fly) by pilot. I have emailed United 3 times and each time they have refused compensation under extraordinary circumstances, but have not answered my questions as to the definitive reason for the delay and have now said they are closing all correspondence with me. I have referred to the CAA - is there anyway of finding out the true reason for delay?

Thanks
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    shell69 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've read lots of the FAQs but can't seem to find my answer. My United flight was delayed in April from Heathrow to JFK for 7 hours - 3 different excuses given - weather and potholes on runway by groundstaff and staff rotas (number of hours allowed to fly) by pilot. I have emailed United 3 times and each time they have refused compensation under extraordinary circumstances, but have not answered my questions as to the definitive reason for the delay and have now said they are closing all correspondence with me. I have referred to the CAA - is there anyway of finding out the true reason for delay?

1) Forget the CAA
    2) If weather then check if other flights arrived/departed plus weather records for the day
    3) Potholes (!!!) I doubt it as unlikely any airlines would fly but again just check with airport
    4) Staff rota/lack of pilot - airlines problem and you are due compensation.
    5) Any way of finding out? Take them to court - good luck.
  • shell69_2
    shell69_2 Posts: 45 Forumite
    111KAB wrote: »
    1) Forget the CAA
    2) If weather then check if other flights arrived/departed plus weather records for the day
    3) Potholes (!!!) I doubt it as unlikely any airlines would fly but again just check with airport
    4) Staff rota/lack of pilot - airlines problem and you are due compensation.
    5) Any way of finding out? Take them to court - good luck.

Thanks - 1) do I have to wait for CAA before court action?
    2) Other flights did go in / out
    3) as per 3
    4) Looks like that's what I'll be doing then - is it normal for airline to refuse to give reasons for delay as they are refusing to give me any technical details. thanks again - very grateful for help
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback