Refused what should I do

Talk Talk and Three have been a nightmare. End of contract with Talk Talk now so applied for Three broadband as my phone and direct debit is already with them but refused credit as it's apparently another account and that failed. (mabe too soon after setting up the phone?)

I'm retired, everything paid off, no loans, never had poor credit, where do I go from here. Is there a trusted free credit file checker that would tell me the problem?

Meanwhile can only think of getting completely mobile broadband.

Comments

• Have a look at all three of your files via Clearscore, MSE Credit Club and Noddle.

See what is reported there (in terms of accounts and data, not the scores or ratings).
  • Have a look at all three of your files via Clearscore, MSE Credit Club and Noddle.

See what is reported there (in terms of accounts and data, not the scores or ratings).

Thanks, and if I see something that is not correct can I complain and have it removed?
  • Yes. Raise a dispute with the CRA in question.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have a look at all three of your files via Clearscore, MSE Credit Club and Noddle.

Noddle has been creditkarma since May.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    You could just continue with Talk Talk.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    "Apparently another account that failed"... What? A credit check?

There must be a reason and I find it difficult to believe you have no idea what that might be, OP but, if this is the case, your credit files should provide some insight, as already suggested. Credit files can be wrong; it is a good idea to correct them.
  • Ben8282
    I doubt there is any real problem besides the fact that Three don't want to open a second account in the OP's name so soon after opening the first account as suggested by the OP.
    Chances are they will waste their time checking their credit files for this elusive 'something' that might be wrong and find nothing.
    OP. Have you failed to pay anything? Do you have any reason to believe that you have failed to conduct any credit account correctly? If no, then stop worrying and take your business elsewhere if 3 don't want your custom.
  • Ben8282 wrote: »
    You could just continue with Talk Talk.

Thanks
    I had already dumped TalkTalk as they have been so inefficient. Couldn't find a quick solution and was horrified I was going to be unable to setup an account with anyone else and would be without BB from tomorrow. Then I tried to log in to TT and was able renew the contract. Still working on the other.
  • Ben8282 wrote: »
    I doubt there is any real problem besides the fact that Three don't want to open a second account in the OP's name so soon after opening the first account as suggested by the OP.
    Chances are they will waste their time checking their credit files for this elusive 'something' that might be wrong and find nothing.
    OP. Have you failed to pay anything? Do you have any reason to believe that you have failed to conduct any credit account correctly? If no, then stop worrying and take your business elsewhere if 3 don't want your custom.

Yes I can only think it's because the 3 phone and 3 broadband are two separate accounts for some strange reason. But they gave me a big discount on the BB as I was an existing phone customer!
    I've never had a credit problem in my life and was seriously worried I wouldn't be able to go anywhere else until the problem was corrected.
  • Ben8282
    My feeling is still that this is something specific to 3, probably due to your trying to open a second account so soon after opening the first, rather than due to any adverse information suddenly appearing on your credit files.
    Have you actually called them to ask about the problem? It may be something really silly (like two accounts for one address not being allowed or something equally unfathomable) and they might be able to add the broadband on to the existing account.
    You didn't need to renew the TalkTalk contract. The service would just have continued out of contract leaving you free to change providers without having to serve a whole new contract minimum term.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure