Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • S_P
    • By S_P 8th Dec 19, 1:21 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    S_P
    New build home - bin collection point
    • 8th Dec 19, 1:21 PM
    New build home - bin collection point 8th Dec 19 at 1:21 PM
    Hi,

Iím looking for some thoughts on this issue. My partner and I have reserved a new build property off plan.
    At our meeting with the sales office we were told that part of our plot boundary (at the front of the house beside the drive) includes a bin collection point. This is because beyond our plot is a shared drive, which would not be accessed by the bin lorry. This means the four homes at the end of our road would place their bins at the bin collection point on bin collection day.

The fact that this is part of our property is slightly worrying to me. I donít know if Iím just overthinking and Iím wondering whether anyone else has any experience of this or whether it would bother you?

It is our ideal home in every other way so I donít want to pull out if this will not be an issue.

Thanks in advance!
Page 2
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Dec 19, 8:30 AM
    • 30,134 Posts
    • 103,635 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I'd be concerned about residents considering it as a bin storage area rather than a collection point.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    This is one of the main problems. I won't say how many recycling boxes I have in my possession, but they are damned good for growing tomatoes in!
    You have been warned!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Dec 19, 11:11 AM
    • 38,379 Posts
    • 23,826 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Get on the planning portal and find out what the real situation is.

This should be detailed in the planning applications.

Also check the local council bin policies.

Fairly common for small areas of houses to have their collection point at main roadside but not on the public path/road( on the edge of boundaries)

Opposite us there are two houses that have to do this they put them on the edge of the shared drive main road intersection so they can still get the cars in/out.

depending on the layout of the houses this may not be a problem but we can't see that.

A pic/plan may help.
    • princeofpounds
    • By princeofpounds 9th Dec 19, 11:15 AM
    • 7,835 Posts
    • 10,381 Thanks
    princeofpounds
    Everyone will imagine something different here. Practical problems like access are less likely to be an issue, but aesthetic problems are definitely likely - a row of bins doesn’t have much kerb appeal.

Also, wouldn’t be keen on the idea that my title is set up so other people have implied easements over it. It might put off future buyers, it involves issues around liability, access and maintenance of the store.

For me it would be a deal killer off-plan. If the set-up already existed and was under operation I could perhaps take a view based on the real situation.

You may also find that if you push back really hard then it suddenly moves elsewhere, depending on what stage they got to.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 9th Dec 19, 11:18 AM
    • 12,625 Posts
    • 17,329 Thanks
    hazyjo
    You are joking. We currently have THREE different containers for different types of recycling per week, (extra goes to the side), plus the "landfill" bin every three weeks. Per house. I would not entertain the idea of having the responsibility of all that on my land.
    Originally posted by mrschaucer
    Ha! You need a bloody degree to work out ours!

"
    There is also a range of optional, buy into services available to residents:
    • garden waste – from either wheeled bins or compostable sacks
    • bulky items – we can collect large items from you for a small charge
    "

And this:

Order of collection

Black sacks and blue food waste bins will be collected together in one lorry where they are stored separately.
    Pink sacks and the paper and card will be collected in a different lorry. These lorries have split backs in order to keep different sorts of waste separate and prevent contamination.
    These vehicles may start collections in different locations and, as such, your recycling and waste may be collected at different times.
    2019 wins: Bottle of Prosecco; Popcorn Shed popcorn; Moisturising 'M&S Time Capsules'; Case of Boost Sport + £30 Just Eat voucher; Battle Proms tickets and hotel; under-eye serum, various tools...
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Dec 19, 11:27 AM
    • 27,413 Posts
    • 27,606 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Very straightforward here...

Black wheely bin - landfill.
    Green wheely bin - everything for recycling. Unsorted.

Garden waste - you need to buy green bags which you put out with the black bin, or take to the tip.
    That's it!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Dec 19, 11:35 AM
    • 38,379 Posts
    • 23,826 Thanks
    getmore4less
    We have food bin, land fill, recycling, optional garden waste(extra charge).

without seeing te layout it is hard to tell which route these bins will take, where is the drive in relation to the shared access and the bin collection point.

if the bin collection point is fort he houses on the shared access would be better that the bin collection point is part of that shared property?

Back to the planning applications.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 9th Dec 19, 11:47 AM
    • 4,985 Posts
    • 8,152 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    3 large wheelie bins plus a crate. Black bin is landfill, blue topped bin is recycling (except glass) and green bin is garden waste. Crate is for glass.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Dec 19, 1:11 PM
    • 67,732 Posts
    • 396,394 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I lived adjacent to some new builds where one of the houses had this arrangement.

As others have said, there could be issues with noise, droppings, all sorts. But, beyond that, it's on your land but only you know that. Everybody else and their kids will assume it's communal and not yours.

You can expect the area to be a kid magnet, kids with bikes and balls, kids who want to kick their ball at the bins/your wall and generally "hang about in that spot".... and you can't do a thing about it as the parents will deny it's their kids, say "I've told them not to go there", but as there's a lack of supervision and minding the kids will still hang out there. And kids won't understand/care it's your land and you don't want them messing with the bins and playing around them.

You need to take an overall view of the land/bins/layout and ask yourself what is likely to occur in that spot that will mar your enjoyment.
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 9th Dec 19, 1:19 PM
    • 1,399 Posts
    • 1,593 Thanks
    gingercordial
    I would say no. Even if your neighbours start out by bringing their bins over only on bin day (and that's noisy enough) and removing them promptly, over time you know that they will start to just leave them there all the time. Your land will eventually become thought of as the "communal bin area" and all the bins will be thought of as shared. The original owners might sell up and the new people will never know it as anything else. That means others will put things in "your" bin, making them overflow or putting the wrong items in the wrong bin and you could be fined by the council.

My council charges for garden waste collection, and you have to pay per property. If something like this comes in in your area, and you pay, you know all the others who share your bin area will not and will just take advantage of you having paid.

Communal bin areas are always horrible and I would not buy somewhere with one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

78Posts Today

2,599Users online

Martin's Twitter