* Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• Treasurequeen
    Options
    Can’t believe it’s the 2nd December, where has this year gone, successful day shopping this morning, posh biscuits were down in M&S at £3.00 a box so they are tucked away. Got chocolate orange segments today too again on offer for large bags £2.50 in Tesco. So chocolates all bought. Presents nearly all bought have a bit left to spend on my mum and then I’m finished.:j

My Christmas decorations are up but I haven’t got enough around my flat so on look out for more.

Hope everyone is ok x
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Love your hot chocolate station PRINCESSKITTY. I think I sound a lot more on top of things than I am, I feel like it’s all just running away with me this year and I’m running to catch up. I bought a couple of Christmas tablecloths today because it suddenly dawned on me that I haven’t given any thought to table setting although I’m not sure why I’m panicking, there’s plenty of time left.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • Beshki
    Beshki Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up on the m&s biscuits, Treasure Queen. I will hunt those down today. Are they nice enough to give as gifts?
    04624181 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, sorry I have been absent for a long time. There has been a lot going on... 2 operations on my foot, I am now a stay at home mum again as my foot is still not right.

Anyway How is everybody? I am trying to read up and check how everybody is doing.

Christmas preparations are going really well here, have got a trip to Cheshire oaks this week with my son to look for a new coat and trainers for him. Just got a couple of gifts left, the MIL and FIL and then need a couple of small gifts to go with vouchers for my gran and step mum. Got my food delivery slot booked for bulky items like bottles,tins, jars etc. Hubby will do the food shop nearer the time.

The kids are officially done whoop whoop. Just need to check the stocking gifts. Will have a look at Cheshire oaks for the rest of hubbys gifts.

Its good to be back, missed you guys.

Bigs hugs and Christmas sprinkles to all.
  • princesskitty29
    Options
    I’ve been busy wrapping presents here to take to my parents on Saturday and Father Christmas has sent his presents for the boys straight to my parents so will check them out on Saturday to make sure all is ok. I’ve still got some things to buy but I’m really getting there, I can get a few things online and I think I’ll need one more shopping trip and that should be it. I’ve also been busy this week preparing for my dinner party on Friday night, I’ve made two starters, put together the party bags (I just love doing these – they’ve just got some Christmas socks, a lip balm and a chocolate Santa in) and made the crackers. I found a box of make-your-own crackers that I bought a few years ago so have put scratchcards in them. Going to make the turkey and ham pie tomorrow and the chocolate torte Friday morning then all the pre-prep stuff will have been done.

I’ve been planning my Christmas food shopping and was thinking about what to eat on Christmas Eve evening. We’ve got into a bit of a tradition of going to McDonald’s for lunch on Christmas Eve, it started when I was pregnant and ill with Squeak, I had one of those morning sickness anomalies where I felt horribly sick but still craved a McDonald’s! So we went for lunch there that Christmas Eve and have kept doing it, we don’t do that much that day so it’s nice to pop out for lunch and it’s always nice and quiet. I’m thinking I might just do something like broccoli and stilton soup in the evening. What do you guys eat on Christmas Eve? Do you have any food traditions or do you not really plan anything?

Treasurequeen yes every time it gets to Christmas it does feel like the year has gone quickly!

Peppa I know how you feel, no matter how organised I am I still get the panic in the build up to Christmas – I think it’s inbuilt!

04624181 welcome back we’ve missed you! Oh no it sounds like you’ve been through the mill with your foot, I do hope now you’ve had two operations that things start to improve for you. Well done on finishing the kids, I don’t think I’m far off now.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Princesskitty your dinner party prep sounds amazing, how do I get an invite? :D love the idea of a scratch card in a cracker, if anyone wins big I hope they share it with you.

Scribbled a couple of remaining Xmas cards today, I think there's 2 more for me to write then the annual battle to get OH to do his...a grand total of 3...incl his mums. Since I do the other 40 I don't think it's too much to ask.
    Noticed O2 haven't had any cards on their app yet this year, I wonder if they won't this time, seems a lot of companies are changing from prev promos.

My Xmas eve food tradition is to go out just as the shops are closing and try to pick up some YS deals, incl something nice for dinner. One year I was going to get the Xmas turkey like that but cracked and paid full price in M&S only to walk into Sainsbobs to fund a shelf load of YS :o:p:rotfl: Not sure if I'll bother doing that though this year - I'll see how I feel but might just want to be home indoors by then.

Just realised I need to order a few bits online and get my finger out there, still not sure about OH gifts and have a shockingly busy week with lots of lovely things planned next week but it's going to mean I have very very little time to get any prep done, then all of a sudden, it's the week before Xmas :eek:
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Treasurequeen
    Options
    Two Christmas cards left to write and post this week. Two small gifts left to buy and then I’m finished just need to wrap them all up.

Going to visit local garden centres Christmas display this weekend. It used to be my family’s tradition to go each year and buy a new decoration for one another to go on the tree. Not done it for a few years now so we are restarting it again this year.
  • Redredrobin
    Options
    hi , Our Christmas market trip was a mixed success , we didn't enjoy the German ones for a variety of reasons but loved Valkenburgh .

The markets in Valkenburgh are in caves which were amazing , they were also where the locals hid the American servicemen in WW2 , there's a lot of writing on the cave walls names and dates that for some reason i found very moving .

Anyone thinking of going on holiday by coach i would thoroughly recommend Leger Travel . Well organized and stress free . I would however only travel on the Luxuria coach as we had silver service as a feeder and found it cramped . Luxuria was like traveling in an arm chair !

Our little village has its Christmas light switch on and Fayre tomorrow something we always look forward to and also the Round tables Santa procession is due around on Saturday evening .

Yorkshire wildlife park has its Christmas Fayre this weekend and next .

We don't buy anything new for Christmas day its just whatever i come across first . Usually have a slow quiet start to Christmas day i get up take muttley out and have a quiet cuppa or two until the others get up then the chaos begins .

I think i prefer Christmas eve too usually by then everything is sorted and just a bit of tidying to do then we go out for a meal , nothing fancy just to a fish and chip restaurant that does Gluten free .

Even though i love Christmas Boxing day is spent putting the tree and everything away .
  • aimeemum
    aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Making some amount of progress now....ordered the kids' new fleece blankets. Managed to get them all ones I know they will love. Ordered a computer game off the list too. Plan is to take the kids into town to get their money swapped (FIL lives in Ireland so sent Euros) - they are planning on spending in CEX but can also have a look for some stocking fillers for hubby and the dog.

Need to finalise my meal plans for the rest of the month and make my shopping lists for food....update my 19th Dec Tesco order to reflect. Also need to double check my food and presents lists to see where I am.....

I also need to finish my Christmas cards. Only 3 weeks to go.....I feel like I'm falling behind :(
    Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
    Current Progress -
    Debt - Start date 31/8/22 = £7,252.78
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
    plus £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    Thanks for wishes for my uncle. They stopped the chemo & now have him on another form of treatment. For some bizarre reason, the hospital doesn't provide it directly (in Ireland), cousin had to go into local chemist to order it, which then had to be shipped from UK, and he had to take to the hospital, no, I don't understand the logic either. Anyway, as cousin had to order it, he decided to look up cost, we should never underestimate the costs involved in treating our loved ones and should definitely crack down on the wastage, not just in bureaucracy, but those "patients" who waste resources. The six week course is costing almost £70,000, ok, there will be special prices for health services, but it is indicative of the costs the health services are prepared to pay to do all they can to treat our loved ones and yet you get drunken idiots who not only injure themselves because of their own stupidity but are abusive to the front line services, they should be charged for the treatment! Rant over :)

All done now, just as well, as barely at home before I travel to Ireland for Christmas.

Hope you are calmly stressed!
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure