PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Shared access - odd question.

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    The only thing in mitigation I might say is the extent to which this is a common arrangement in the area in which you're buying. ....
    The installation of gates is something I've seen residents call for occasionally in local news. This is particularly true where the 'ginnel' is used by teenagers and other ne'r-do-wells;), whether just to hang around, shoot-up, or whatever. Shared lockable gates by no means regarded as a terrible thing everywhere, but this doesn't seem to be what's on offer.

Also, in places where there are rows of terraced houses, there is frequently a problem with the supply of on-street parking, so anything that removes one car from the rank outside these houses might be viewed positively by other residents.

The devil is always in the detail. OP should have spoken with more residents.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Davesnave wrote: »
    OP should have spoken with more residents.

Probably didn't realise all the ramifications until coming on here and having all the potential issues pointed out!

• @Money - what did you actually do to get them to behave?

1. First and foremost - check your facts (eg what is down in the deeds/title plan/etc). Make it very plain you've read it - and are very familiar with what it does and doesn't say. They found it a lot more difficult to make out that things were rather different to what they really were when I was quoting "chapter and verse" at them. THE single most important thing imo. So I was literally saying (and repeating however many times necessary) that "Point 1, paragraph x says y" and making it quite plain I knew what "chapter and verse" said and how things are done normally.

2. I was quite prepared to literally "stand my ground" and to literally have blazing rows with them if push came to shove. There were indeed some blazing rows.

3. I ignored the "blackmail" element of them telling me that their way of doing things was normal/the way things are here/etc/etc and I was the odd one for expecting things to be done properly/normally. It was made very plain that I do know exactly how things are done normally/should be done and I literally honestly don't care how they've been doing things "here".
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    1. First and foremost - check your facts (eg what is down in the deeds/title plan/etc). Make it very plain you've read it - and are very familiar with what it does and doesn't say. They found it a lot more difficult to make out that things were rather different to what they really were when I was quoting "chapter and verse" at them. THE single most important thing imo. So I was literally saying (and repeating however many times necessary) that "Point 1, paragraph x says y" and making it quite plain I knew what "chapter and verse" said and how things are done normally.

2. I was quite prepared to literally "stand my ground" and to literally have blazing rows with them if push came to shove. There were indeed some blazing rows.

3. I ignored the "blackmail" element of them telling me that their way of doing things was normal/the way things are here/etc/etc and I was the odd one for expecting things to be done properly/normally. It was made very plain that I do know exactly how things are done normally/should be done and I literally honestly don't care how they've been doing things "here".

The key question is whether, having done/gone through all of that, you'd knowingly go into a situation where you'd have to do it all again?!?
  • ReadingTim wrote: »
    The key question is whether, having done/gone through all of that, you'd knowingly go into a situation where you'd have to do it all again?!?

Basically, I still can't see that I had any other option in the circumstances. I was certainly very unaware of a lot of what had been going on and just assumed everything would be "normal". You do - when "normal" is all you've known to date.

I'd narrowed down to what I could afford in the location I'd chosen and there weren't that many houses to choose from. It was "best of a bad bunch" in a location not of my (voluntary) choosing.

So - the situation HAD to be made to "work" regardless.

Would I leave the house if money wasnt a problem and I could afford to buy similar in my own home area? :rotfl:You need to ask:rotfl:.

But the neighbours "acting up" as they were has been dealt with and the situation has been made to "work" for me. If I hadnt found out my facts/fought back - they'd still be walking over the occupant of this house (currently myself) to this day.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Probably didn't realise all the ramifications until coming on here and having all the potential issues pointed out!
    Knocking on doors and chatting with the neighbours is something we often advise people to do here, because it can reveal so much. However, I understand not everyone will feel comfortable doing that.

A neighbouring property here was for sale last year. I made it my business to be casually 'doing things' nearby if people were viewing. This works both ways! :rotfl:
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Davesnave wrote: »
    A neighbouring property here was for sale last year. I made it my business to be casually 'doing things' nearby if people were viewing. This works both ways! :rotfl:

You come over all awkward and miserable if you don't like the look of potential buyers? :rotfl:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 October 2018 at 9:49PM
    Mojisola wrote: »
    You come over all awkward and miserable if you don't like the look of potential buyers?

I would if it were me :)

I'd go out of my way to drop into the conversation something they might find unsavoury ... " true or not, they're not going to come back are they :)

The trouble is, you don't know what sort of people anybody really is until they've moved in .... and brought their entourage with them. It's not the viewer that's the problem, it's what the viewers allow their entourages to do over time.
  • circuit
    circuit Posts: 508 Forumite
    It's nice to think you can get the vendor to resolve this but I would hazard a guess that they've tried already. It may be that this neighbour is causing them other issues, or that the inconvenient/ blocked access is part of the reason they want to move.

OP, I really think your heart is ruling your head - look at other properties - find something without a PITA neighbour.
  • circuit
    circuit Posts: 508 Forumite
    And yes, I've also had the screaming rows and the experience of quoting deeds at people in order to get out of my own garden. Please don't get into that situation unless you genuinely have no other options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure