Are private hearing aids better than NHS?

I've had NHS hearing aids now for a year. I've been back to audiology dept several times as they're just not right. In a social setting, i.e. meeting, party, etc., they're completely useless as all they do is amplify the background noise meaning I still can't hear people talking. In fact, over Christmas, I found I could hear better without them. They're fine on, say, a country walk, as they amplify bird tweets etc.

Just wondering whether it's because the NHS ones are poor quality, and whether I'd have a better outcome if I got some privately - they're expensive, starting at £495. I don't want to fork out that kind of money if they're going to be similar to the NHS ones.

Anyone got any guidance or experience in moving from NHS to private?

Comments

• There's a huge range of aids. Private suppliers may have access to a wider range of aids. The issue you describe is not uncommon -different hearing loss, different types of aids, different issues.... Private aids can be VERY expensive - £495 is nothing - you can pay 10 X that !! I suggest you book a private consultation & hearing test, and then discuss the options (and costs) that apply. Only THEN make your own mind up about benefit Vs cost as it applies to you. General advice is not much use.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would only go for private aids if they were available on a try and return basis.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 9 January 2018 at 3:52PM
    According to my wife the middle of the price range hearing aids from Specsavers are better.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Have you been back and discussed this with audiology? It might be possible to get them adjusted better.

The first NHS aid I had offered three settings. One was 'normal', amplifying everything. Two was 'in front', which did slightly reduce background noise. Three was the induction loop, which I love and use whenever there is one available. It also had a volume control ...

However, when it was 'upgraded', I lost both the 'in front' setting, and the volume control. Hated it. It was supposed to adjust automatically, but it never did.

My most recent aid has only two settings, but I insisted on a volume control. Sadly we never managed to get the mould comfortable, and now I've lost it. So this year is the year I sort another one out.

Private aids can offer a lot more 'features'. For example, there may be a 'music' setting. Most aids will normally cut out briefly if overloaded with noise: this is inconvenient in Scottish dancing, for example, when a loud chord often announces the start of the dance. If the chord switches off your hearing aid, the dance may start without you.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • The private hearing aids may 'start at £495' but the sale people will oush the MUCH higher priced ones.

Some years ago my Mum looked into this as she was less than happy with her NHS one.

The rep on the phone explained that without seeing Mum she was able to say that she would need to pay a minimum of £799 for EACH ear!!!!...and was really pushy about getting Mum to agree to having a sales person call round..which Mum refused - and eventually blocked the number (after 6 calls in an hour!)

These people are not really hearing consultants....they are sales people.

Mum eventually went back...a few times...to the NHS and is learning to live with these hearing aids
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,552
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The best aids bought privately are better but there is no doubt they are more expensive. If you can stand the shock of being told how much (and £799 per ear doesn't rate shock) the perhaps worth going and finding out. You can get them cheaper on the internet but then things like repaira and servicing are extra.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Having said all that, before DH went off to get his NHS aids we did get a free hearing test from Boots, the comprehensive one. The lovely lady fitted him with a pair quickly (oh the joys of tulip moulds you can pick out of a box!) and sent us walking round the shop with him wearing them so he could see what they were like and whether they made a difference.

She was not pushy at all, and most definitely skilled and qualified! I believe servicing and repairs were free, and batteries included too.

DH decided fairly rapidly he'd try NHS before going down the private route, and has found them perfectly comfortable (which makes me quite jealous!) so this post is just to say that it MAY be worth considering private. I have two siblings who've gone private and both felt the money was well spent while they were working.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Tom99 wrote: »
    I would only go for private aids if they were available on a try and return basis.

All private firms offer this - some as much as 90 days. But even with a 30-day basis, that gives you a good few weeks to try the aids in a variety of different environments.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,355
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Husband has private ones from Specsavers & NHS.

His private ones were not cheap (about £1800 with 3 years of unlimited batteries & maintenance included), give good quality hearing whatever is going on around him & extremely small.

When he removes one the other is programmed to tell him "partner check", similarly, when the battery in either is getting low it says "battery check". Funny that, because when I tell him to "do the dusting", he doesn't hear a word! More selective hearing than hard of hearing sometimes it seems.

NHS definitely less sound quality, bigger, slightly less comfy (marginally). He wears them only when playing golf & takes them on holidays as 'spares', just in case.

He describes the NHS pair as adequate, but prefers the Specsavers ones.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sevenofnine, are his private hearing aids in-ear?

My NHS behind the ear is uncomfortable. After wearing it last night, my ear is still uncomfortable, as the whole cartilage is pushed out.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure