PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• MadamMim2013
    Options
    £47.23 spent today in the butchers (included our Yule joint!) & various shops, happily lots were ys items.. I still need to have a nosey in the cupboards and work out a few meals.. Doing ok so far tho :)
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Chixilixi
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:

First time on the challenge for me. Can you put me down for £80 for the month please? This is from 26th October – 25th November for me and the pooch, for food, cleaning products & toiletries. Ive been put on short hours at work and need to reign in the spending.

I should be ok as the freezer and cupboards are rammed, and I’ve been making a conscious effort to use up stuff before buying more. Did some batch cooking and have made 5 days’ worth of soup & rolls for work lunches, as well as shepherds pie x 3, orange & rose rice pudding, Jamaican ginger cake and homemade pesto, all now in the freezer.

First shop of the month done today at £19.46 / £80.

Thanks
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    Hi.

This will be my first go at this..
    5 week month for me..

Am going to try for £150 for food / toileteries / cleaning.

Just me, a seven year old, manic spaniel and geriatric cat. Oh and the fish but they don't cost much.

Am on my phone and can't make the £150 red.

Also how do i make a signature so I can do a tally??

Totally excited for this challenge.

Ohh its a big challenge
    I'm not sure on the phone but on a pc you click 'User CP' on the green bar, and then 'Edit signature' on the panel on the left, under 'Settings and options' :)
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    £42.48 spent so far, bit of an expensive start so I need to be really careful now! I'm doing a big family roast on Sunday and still have a few bits to buy, and I've got to buy a big pack of mince for a chilli for Saturday
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Please can you put me down for £320 this month? This is for all food, toiletries, cleaning, dog food and booze from today until 27th.

We were over budget last month despite our week's holiday. This month DH will be restarting his diet and fitness 6 week plan which should reduce our spending as we have a lot of fish already in the freezer and he will not be drinking beer. I will eat a lot of similar meals too which should help me lose the 1lb I added on holiday.

Total to date £0/£320
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 November 2018 at 9:09AM
    Options
    Hi.

This will be my first go at this..
    5 week month for me..

Am going to try for £150 for food / toileteries / cleaning.

Just me, a seven year old, manic spaniel and geriatric cat. Oh and the fish but they don't cost much.

Am on my phone and can't make the £150 red.

Also how do i make a signature so I can do a tally??

Totally excited for this challenge.

Ohh its a big challenge

I click the quick links button, there is an edit signature in the list.
    Just looking at my signature and it is a mess, I am away from
    home and using a seldom used tablet, will tidy it up and reinsert October when I get home next week.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • franticflyerSue56
    franticflyerSue56 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 November 2018 at 9:44AM
    Options
    Thanks for the shiny new thread, elsiepac!

Mid month for me, so happy to report that I’m under budget so far, by a whopping £2.36, but hey, little victories!

I have also learned to keep a close eye on my bank statements. Income and outgoings have been under close scrutiny of late. I’ve spent hours setting up spreadsheets to cover the next three months. I’ve actually enjoyed renewing my acquaintance with Excel!

While casting a beady eye on our mobile phone bills I noticed two payments going out every month neither my husband nor I could identify. So a phone call to O2 revealed a likely fraud that they are now investigating. If it proves to be so, then some wretch has been dipping into our finances to the tune of £20 a month for over a year. We didn’t take any notice of it as the withdrawals had a very similar name to the legitimate O2 bills.

O2 have said they will reimburse the amount defrauded, but we’ve been rudely awoken from our blase habit of simply glancing at a statement! Lesson learned!

Hoping all participants have a good month!

FFSue
    OCTOBER £280 spent £341.10
    NOVEMBER 2018 £350 (5 week month) spent £344.93.
  • MarinaMidnight
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'd like to join please. I have lost the plot with my spending recently so need to get back on track and it looks like I have come to the right place.

Please could you put me down for £65 for the month. That's just for me, I'm not doing alcohol this month as I'm saving myself for Christmas. I've set it a bit higher than it needs to be to ease myself in gently and because I've run out of most kitchen cupboard staples so will need to restock a bit.
  • sweetpea26
    sweetpea26 Posts: 831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Rampant Recycler
    edited 1 November 2018 at 4:50PM
    Options
    £360

for my target please...Thank you for this thread elsipac

I haven't participated in this challenge in years ... now seems the right time :) Money seems to be slipping through my fingers like sand. I Need to keep tighter control on spending especially food budget.

Look forward to all the posts...lots to learn here for sure.

Have a order being delivered tomorrow mrtea :) should just be a few pennies over £40 ... plus will pick up other bits and pieces throughout week, like reduced items .. this saves me time and so I am able to work a bit harder at my little job from home. Hoping it all goes to plan :)
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Budgets updated to here everyone!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport