Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 July 2018 at 6:08PM
    Glad to hear that the scan was fine moll and what a lovely idea having the marching band as a memorial.:)

Moll wrote: »
    we enjoy simple stuff , our favourite pastime is collecting sea glass , bring it home , put it in a glass jar with some fairy lights , and it looks lovely and gives me happy memories for no cost , One year we went looking for lamp posts ?????? yes lamp posts, some that was used in the war , for hiding secret messages , it was fun to find them . and we get plenty of walking exersize , so im hoping to shed a few pounds when im there

I think that's fascinating. I find post boxes interesting as they reign of the monarch adds to architectural clues in an area. Have you seen the blue post box in Windsor? Apparently there was a short-lived experiment in having blue boxes for airmail and this one survives.

If you're in London on a Sunday, that's a brilliant time to walk round the City as it's deserted then. So many fantastic Wren churches plus the Bank of England, Courts etc. You can download self guided walks online.

I'd also recommend the John Soane Museum. That's a quirky collection and the house is interesting too. They have Hogarth's Rakes Progress there. Also the Wallace Collection just behind John Lewis in Oxford Street, another lovely building with a good collection including the Laughing Cavalier. Then there's the Geffrye which is in a series of alms houses showing interiors from the 1600s to the present.

I must stop as I'm talking myself into a trip. Fortunately I only live an hour away and I just remembered I have an afternoon tea voucher to use up.:)

Funnily enough money, I had a conversation about hairdressers with some of the friends I was with on holiday. It's amazing how much the costs seem to vary across the country. I must admit I am surprised that West Wales is expensive. Personally I don't begrudge the price I pay as I have an excellent stylist and with a good cut then it lasts for about 8 weeks (plus in my case highlights about every 3 months). When I was a small child, my mother used to have a shampoo and set every week, extra for special nights out, a 'comb out' mid week and a regular perm!:eek: That was probably quite expensive too.;)

I'd like to know more about the massage. Would you post the link again?:) I'm growing my eyebrows 'wider' IYSWIM and that would help me. Plus I'd always like my hair to be thicker, especially my fringe. It's amazing how much thicker it looks just coming home and washing it in our chalky water does!:D

Watched the England game (conference finished early:D). Pleased they won but not the best game. DH said that if Sweden knocked England out he'd never shop in Ikea again!:rotfl: It'll be interesting to see what happens later as England v Russia could be politically sensitive bearing in mind the Salisbury situation.

Hope you're all having a good weekend.:)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2018 at 6:59PM
    maman wrote: »

Funnily enough money, I had a conversation about hairdressers with some of the friends I was with on holiday. It's amazing how much the costs seem to vary across the country. I must admit I am surprised that West Wales is expensive. Personally I don't begrudge the price I pay as I have an excellent stylist and with a good cut then it lasts for about 8 weeks (plus in my case highlights about every 3 months). When I was a small child, my mother used to have a shampoo and set every week, extra for special nights out, a 'comb out' mid week and a regular perm!:eek: That was probably quite expensive too.;)

I'd like to know more about the massage. Would you post the link again?:) I'm growing my eyebrows 'wider' IYSWIM and that would help me. Plus I'd always like my hair to be thicker, especially my fringe.

Hope you're all having a good weekend.:)

The hairdressers I've been to to date here charge much about the same as I was paying my previous hairdresser (ie the one I had for many years prior to moving here).

But this particular one charges rather a lot more than that. I've also got a couple of others in mind as "possibles - if need be" and they also charge noticeably more. But I'm just taking the view that I got lucky with my last hairdresser prior to moving - but am going to have to pay more here because they aren't "city" hairdressers iyswim.

Most of the haircuts I see round here are neat - but I wouldnt describe them as stylish personally - and I need my hair to be "stylish" more than many other women here because I dress as I've been used to much of the time (ie rather more casually than many of them do). Sorta counterbalance - the clothes casual/but hair stylish. Rather than clothes a bit more "formal"/hair not stylish. It's different styles I guess in different parts of the country - and I'm sticking to my own personally, as that's what I like.

The eyelash/eyebrow treatment thing is a bit of a compilation of various YouTube videos on eyelash/eyebrow growth. Don't think that was one specific video per se.
  • Tete_en_l'Air
    Tete_en_l'Air Posts: 7,134 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It can be so hard to find a decent hairdresser can't it? My one I've been going to for years closed down and the stylist moved to another town that's just too far to travel (I was already travelling to another town and she's moved further in the other direction if that makes sense), I've been to another place about three times and I love the cut she does (she does these long layers that make my hair all bouncy without me having to do anything), and the overall colour is lovely, but I always have an issue with a visible line along my roots, even before I've left the salon, and I hate the atmosphere in there. All they talk about is going out and getting drunk (and despite what I just posted on the SW thread :o that's not me at all, I want to talk abut what book I'm reading or the latest Corrie goings on), and last time I went she asked do I have children? No. Do I have a boyfriend? No. Oh. End of conversation. And I came away feeling like I'm failing at life! So yeah, long story short, I'm looking for a new hairdresser and it is hard.

I've been bad this week and let my skin routine slide so my resolution for this week is to get back on that horse, and to take my vitamins every day. I did give my feet a little spa the other night through with some of those little foot mask sockies and they felt amazing after! Totally recommend, they're only like 99p from Savers.

Anyway, I'm going to go and sit still with my coffee for a bit...
    Weightloss: 14.5/65lb
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Good morning lovely ladies.....

How are we all. Are we wilting yet.:rotfl: I know Maman adores this weather but I have to confess it is just a little out of my comfort range. Apparently it is going to cool down a bit tomorrow. 24C - a bit better for me, I do prefer a range of up to about 25C. sorry Maman!! Still no sign of rain though.

We don't have a hose pipe ban (personally I do think they should implement that) but Severn Trent have asked us to be careful.

Speaking of unusual sights I have been trying to find out the water levels of Lady Bower Reservoir, whether or not you can see the village yet. When water levels are really low you can sometimes see the old village that they flooded when they created the dam.

I'm struggling to find a good hairdresser too. Mine is really looking quite messy now. I don't know whether to keep it short or try and grow it a bit so it's now neither one thing nor another, just a straggly mess. And of course this heat and humidity just makes it worse.

I am meeting a friend for coffee tomorrow in the city centre so I might just pop in somewhere for a cut. Even if I do:grow it a bit it still needs a tidy up. I am sticking with my natural silver. Nearly everyone I know seems to prefer it, so I guess it suits me. Even hairdressers tell me it's a lovely colour. I have noticed that now that I don't dye it any more it is in much better condition.

One thing I have noticed is that it does seem a bit thicker these days, I think that's an indication that my adrenal glands are improving and that my thyroid is functioning a bit better. Still very sparse eyebrows and eyelashes though but I can cheat with those. My nails seems stronger too these days. So the vital signs are good.....:rotfl:

My skin has been quite parched recently (must drink more water!!) . I bought some Vit C serum for my face and it has made a difference. I also use the massage function on my electric cleanser brush on my face every day.

Massage desquamates the skin, removing dead skin cells and improving blood flow, feeding nutrients to the skin and helping eliminate waste. Just the ticket for this kind of weather when sweat and debris can block pores. Gentle but thorough cleansing is a must and I recommend a deep cleansing face mask once a week during hot weather.

Try and Aim for a 5 minute facial massage every day - you can do it whilst relaxing, reading or watching TV.

Not sure what today will bring. I was going to go to Wilkinson's to buy some plastic storage boxes but it's just too damn hot......:rotfl: They are not urgent so I might just be lazy and order some from Amazon.

I will nip to the the little shop in a few minutes and just pick up a few bits to see me through till Tuesday or Wednesday when I will go to Aldi's. I am running the freezer down now ready for moving so I only need buy fruit and veg and bit of dairy this week, and I'm trying to cut down on dairy anyway. I have gone back to lacto free milk. My tummy seems happier with it.

Other than that a nice lazy day. I shall finish sorting out the cellar.....it's nice and cool down there.:rotfl:
  • I'm very conscious I see a lot of "cookie cutter - hairdresser only seems to know a couple of haircuts" and/or "helmet hair" haircuts here - so it's worth waiting and paying (quite a bit) extra if I can get my haircut back to normal (ie a good haircut - meant for me personally and not 'every other customer' the hairdresser gets in).

i remember a hairdresser growing uo and all the ladies in town had the same cut. It was like a case of the clones. very strange that people went to him in droves as fat thin, round oval or square everyone got the same cut. it was awful

aldi are selling their jo malone knock off in a body lotion and spray. i bought no 1 lime mandarin and basil and no. 4 pomegranate. it will make a change from nothing so it is a step in the right direction.

i got a cosmetic mirror that lights up in lidl and has a 5 fold magnification. hopefully it will help. today is my day of rest and relaxation. no pressure other than buy fuel for the car.

happy birthday LL .
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello Ladies,

My sister R came for the weekend, so it has been a busy weekend for me again. :cool:

We went to see my brother H yesterday. We had to stop at Morrisons and buy him some fresh chicken and other food to see him through to Wednesday when he will receive his Benefit money. He was very grateful for the visit and the food items. :D Considering all of his serious health issues, one of the sisters will always come to his aid and support him when necessary. :D

My sister R and I were picked up by Wayne, so we could go to the pub for a night of dancing last night. Wayne generously bought the drinks for my sister R, my friend A and I throughout the night and he also bought me a delicious Caribbean take away meal from the pub. I danced my legs off with Wayne. We had so much fun together. :j:D

I am washing and drying bedding today and packing a bag to spend the night at Wayne's home tonight, after going to Karaoke together. :D

I feel tired already before the weekend has ended, but it has so been worth the effort for my sister R's, my brother H's and my own sake. ;)

I am feeling exhilarated at how well Wayne and I are getting along. We are continuing to talk to each other and we are also making plans for our future together. :D

Wayne is beginning to realise how he will always spend less and get more for his money if he follows my financially savvy example. Wayne tried to buy me a new mobile phone, but I talked him out of it, as I really do not need a new mobile phone and do not want one. I do not use most of the features on my current smartphone and would not use them on a new upgraded mobile phone. :D
  • maman
    It is absolutely baking today. It's hot even for me LL! Somehow the heat is harder to cope with in this country. It could be the lack of a swimming pool and air conditioning!:D

DH and I had a short walk earlier. It was just like being abroad, walking on the shady side of the street.

I might be mad but I'm cooking a roast dinner today.:eek: After 4 weeks of glorious Turkish food, I'm really missing my roasts. I'm sure we'll enjoy it though.:drool:

:hello:hello tete. good to see you on here. I've followed my stylist around 4 different salons but fortunately all reasonably close together.:)

Most of the haircuts I see round here are neat - but I wouldnt describe them as stylish personally - and I need my hair to be "stylish" more than many other women here because I dress as I've been used to much of the time (ie rather more casually than many of them do). Sorta counterbalance - the clothes casual/but hair stylish. Rather than clothes a bit more "formal"/hair not stylish. It's different styles I guess in different parts of the country - and I'm sticking to my own personally, as that's what I like.
    i remember a hairdresser growing uo and all the ladies in town had the same cut. It was like a case of the clones. very strange that people went to him in droves as fat thin, round oval or square everyone got the same cut. it was awful

That's one of my many soapboxes! Hairstyles for older ladies and M&S clones.:rotfl:

I really dislike the short back and sides style favoured by ladies of a certain age. They may be easy to maintain and a bit more modern than an old fashioned perm but I think they look so harsh and mannish.:(
    aldi are selling their jo malone knock off in a body lotion and spray. i bought no 1 lime mandarin and basil and no. 4 pomegranate. it will make a change from nothing so it is a step in the right direction.

I looked at the sprays as I particularly like the No.1 perfume. . They had them in the 'presents for teachers' section. I told myself that I didn't need one as I have several (cheap from Primark and expensive from Clarins) to use up. I'll probably look again over the coming weeks until I succumb.:o
    Wayne is beginning to realise how he will always spend less and get more for his money if he follows my financially savvy example. Wayne tried to buy me a new mobile phone, but I talked him out of it, as I really do not need a new mobile phone and do not want one. I do not use most of the features on my current smartphone and would not use them on a new upgraded mobile phone. :D

Glad that you're having a good time with Wayne. It's hard for him not to want to spoil you but treating you to a few drinks is one thing, a new (and unnecessary) mobile phone is another. I admire you for sticking to your guns.

Interesting what you say about the features. I've always worked on a need to know basis with technology whether it's my computer, my phone, my car or my washing machine! :D

Have a good evening.;)
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    My hairdresser is my neighbour. She is much better than my salon hairdresser and my hair is a lovely colour and longer than it has been for years. I don't buy into this 'older ladies must have short hair' look. Mine is down my back! She has assured me that when long hair does not suit me any more she will tell me and I will have it cut. I will need a general anaesthetic! This weather it is just up in a ponytail, too hot otherwise.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • maman
    My hairdresser is my neighbour. She is much better than my salon hairdresser and my hair is a lovely colour and longer than it has been for years. I don't buy into this 'older ladies must have short hair' look. Mine is down my back! She has assured me that when long hair does not suit me any more she will tell me and I will have it cut. I will need a general anaesthetic! This weather it is just up in a ponytail, too hot otherwise.

Lucky you having a neighbour who can style your hair.:) I agree, if you like having your hair long then that's your choice! Then there's a huge difference between a short back and sides and other shorter styles. I wear mine in a shortish bob which is always below my ears and generally about chin length.

Still baking hot here today. I made myself do some ironing as DH needed some of the lightweight summer shirts. I was waiting for a cool morning/evening but that's not likely to happen for a while! I'm wearing one of my short, beach dresses. I wouldn't wear it out anywhere in this country but it's fine at home. It's A-line as I just couldn't face having something round my waist.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Dil had emergency c section this morning. Mum and babe are fine. Rough night. I've got a splitting headache and feel absolutely drained.

Alls well that ends well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport